Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-22-2011, 06:33 PM

105 posts, read 484,507 times

Advertisements

So the job situation has almost forced us to move. Her job is up in May '12 and that gives us enough time to relocate. Her jobs would be near redwood city, Fremont and surrounding areas. I'd end up working close to Sunnyvale.

How much of a shock should I be expecting when looking for houses/apt to rent? And where should i be looking? What freeways should I avoid for daily commutes?

I have a ton of questions but just want to get some feedback on potential places to start looking. Currently live in Folsom, which is a really nice suburb with great schools in the sacramento region. I'd like to move to something similar. 2 kids 2 dogs 2 incomes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2011, 09:28 PM

30,896 posts, read 36,975,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gotpancit View Post
So the job situation has almost forced us to move. Her job is up in May '12 and that gives us enough time to relocate. Her jobs would be near redwood city, Fremont and surrounding areas. I'd end up working close to Sunnyvale.

How much of a shock should I be expecting when looking for houses/apt to rent? And where should i be looking? What freeways should I avoid for daily commutes?

I have a ton of questions but just want to get some feedback on potential places to start looking. Currently live in Folsom, which is a really nice suburb with great schools in the sacramento region. I'd like to move to something similar. 2 kids 2 dogs 2 incomes.
Others can probably give you better advice than me since I'm single with no kids and have no commute. But I should definitely warn you...DO NOT expect to be able to afford anywhere near the same kind of house that you have in Folsom (whether buying or renting). It's just not gonna happen.

Old 12-22-2011, 09:58 PM

yea for sure. I know we wont get anything close to the size we have in folsom. We'd be good with a postage stamp yard and ~1300 sq ft house...I think.

So doing some quick research, it seems like a lot of the san jose schools are pretty decent and the rent on a typical house just mentioned is ~$2000-2300/mo in milipitas/santa clara.

are there places to steer clear from?

Old 12-23-2011, 12:53 AM

134 posts, read 525,893 times
i don't really do normal commute hours but 101 gets backed up NB. Santa Clara is pretty nice, don't know about the schools. I'd stay away from Evergreen (San Jose) it takes forever to get to the freeways and Milpitas always seems congested and full of terrible drivers. Cambrian (San Jose) has good schools and quick access to 85 for Sunnyvale and Redwood City.

Old 12-23-2011, 12:09 PM

4,323 posts, read 6,286,909 times
We have some friends that live in Folsom. One works for Intel and the other is an attorney. They have a nice newish house in a manicured neighborhood. I think its about 1,800 sq ft and they bought it as a foreclosure 2-3 years ago. I want to say that they paid around $300k.

My wife and I live in Mountain View in a new townhouse. Its about 1,600 sq ft and 3 levels. We paid close to $700k for it 2 years ago and it has already gone up in value about $50k. We both work in the high-tech industry.

Before we owned a place, we rented a 2 bedroom apartment in Mtn View. We paid well over $2,000 per month and the rents have gone up substantially since then.

Our companies do compensate us somewhat for the high cost of living area (I want to say there's about a 15% bump vs the Sacramento area). However, as you can see from a comparison standpoint, much more of our spendable income goes into a house which has shared walls.

Don't get me wrong, there are many other benefits to living here besides financial. And, we could have chosen to live in an area that is a bit cheaper than Mountain View. However, if you're looking at this from a pure cost to income standpoint, the numbers don't add up.

Old 12-23-2011, 12:26 PM

13 posts, read 31,026 times
Redwood City and Fremont are on opposite sides of the bay with Sunnyvale in the middle forming a triangle connected by 101 and 237. 101 NB and 237 WB are packed during morning rush hours. Vice versa for afternoon commute. If your wife works in Redwood City, you may want to live in Redwood City / Menlo Park and you commute south. If she works in Fremont, then you should live in Sunnyvale / Santa Clara and she travels east. There are also more economical choices of housing. It depends on your expectation.

Old 12-27-2011, 12:03 PM

Sweet. She just interviewed at a couple of places in the last couple of days and its looking promising that we'll make a move this summer if not earlier. My job is super stable in sac, but I'm due for a change and being a mech engineer there seems to be a lot of opportunity in the bay.

As a side thought, my wife interviewed at a place near google hq and dayum, they own that business park. It's kind of refreshing to see all the start ups in the area too!

Old 12-29-2011, 05:56 PM

6,288 posts, read 11,783,819 times
Redwood City for apartment rentals is cheaper than points south by about $200/month. In Sunnvyale/MountainView you're looking at $1900-$2000/month for 900 sq foot 2 bedroom apartment. Subtract $200 off that for Redwood city.

I personally avoid the 101 for commuting. It'd rather take Central Expressway. I also avoid the 237 during rush hours, but outside rush hours it's fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose