Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2012, 10:01 AM

13,212 posts, read 21,832,803 times

Advertisements

I'd like to know as well, please.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2012, 12:22 PM

2,190 posts, read 6,852,200 times
state beaches.

Old 03-24-2012, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaijai View Post
I sent a message to the o.p. recommending one of the nicest beaches on the Monterey bay (maybe one of the best beaches on the central coast).
It's a beautiful beach, it's very family friendly, there are lifeguards from memorial day through labor day, one can walk for miles when the tide is out, it's very clean, it's well patrolled, no thugs hanging out, no crime, dogs on leash only (my dog and i don't like that but oh well), many families, lots of children, nice fire-pits, often really good surfing, and on sunny days when the tide is out (and sometimes even when it's not) the water is totally warm enough to play and swim in.
What more could someone want from a beach? If it isn't a good enough one then i dunno.
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueslily View Post
Can you send the name to me in a private message as well.

Thanks!
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog View Post
I'd like to know as well, please.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaijai View Post
state beaches.
Gee thanks. Real helpful.

Old 03-24-2012, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Gee thanks. Real helpful.
I don't like being secretive or elitist about nature.
I shouldn't have said anything to begin with.
There are wonderful state beaches in Aptos and Watsonville.

Old 03-24-2012, 12:50 PM

7,284 posts, read 12,928,336 times
Sea Cliff, Manresa, Sunset?

Old 03-24-2012, 02:51 PM

40 posts, read 84,416 times
Another good beach with kids is at the east jetty of the Santa Cruz Harbor. Parking lot by the Crows nest, and metered parking on the street. They have decent Mexican food and a cafe/bakery in the building next to the Crows nest, outdoor tables, a foot washing faucet, and the building has flush toilets. There are volleyball nets. Kids can climb the jetty rocks, watch boats come and go, and it's generally a fairly flat beach as far as waves.

Capitola Beach right in the village, by the jetty, has small friendly boogie boarding waves in the summer. But watch out for the water pooled up from where Soquel Creek comes out, its loaded with bacteria and it makes me cringe when I see kids wading in it.

As for the string of state beaches that line the coast between Capitola and Marina, they all have their strong points but Seacliff might be nice for you because they have some parking practically right on the beach, and bathrooms are right there. I don't think they flush but they use chemicals in the pit style ones here so they don't really smell bad, they just look bad. New Brighton is sheltered with calmer water.

Natural Bridges is a beautiful beach but the currents can be strong - an older child drowned there a few years ago. Not a place to just let your kids wade/boogie board. Also on the north end of SC, although its not really a beach, Seymour Center is a fun place to take kids. Seymour Center at Long Marine Lab - Welcome. I haven't been for a few years, but the tours used to go up on the overlook where you could see the 2 dolphins that live there.

Carmel beach is a good recommendation - beautiful with white soft sand, clear water (relative to north end of monterey bay) dog friendly, and sheltered from a lot a swell directions making for flatter water depending on swell direction. Its a cleaner cut crowd from what I've seen - a change of pace from the kind of trendy thug / gang look at the Boardwalk area beaches. The downside is it might be more likely to be foggy there and its farther from SJ - if that's where you are coming from - but no Hwy 17 so that's a plus.

Old 03-24-2012, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imcurious View Post
Sea Cliff, Manresa, Sunset?
Those are indeed state beaches.

Old 03-26-2012, 09:31 AM

3,472 posts, read 5,265,479 times
Quote:
I may be mistaken but I don't think there are lifeguards at any of the beaches along the norcal coast. Natural Bridges State Park would be another good beach for you otherwise. Keep in mind the water is very cold here. Kids will most likely need wetsuits to boogie board.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk
Ummm, I guess you've never been to the beach? Most of the larger beaches have lifeguards from spring through fall, at least those within 90 miles of the Bay Area.

Old 03-26-2012, 09:40 AM

3,472 posts, read 5,265,479 times
For the OP, I second Manzanita2012's suggestions. Most of the beaches in and around Santa Cruz, Capitola, and just south of there (Rio del Mar, Aptos) are really nice and really family friendly. They'll also have more of the vibe you're used to, because the area is generally warmer, sunnier, and more developed (i.e. beachside shops, restaurants, etc) than Bay Area beaches. It's cold now (heck, I'm in San Diego, and it's cold here right now), but there are tons of great beach days there, potentially any time of year. A couple weeks ago, it was 83 degrees in Santa Cruz, and there have been lots of 70+ days there this winter. In the summer, it does get packed and trafficky, so go early.

Carmel Beach is probably one of the most beautiful places in California, much prettier than Santa Cruz or Malibu, with super super white sand and turquoise water, but it's a fog trap and often a good ten degrees colder and cloudy compared to Santa Cruz. Plus, it's farther to drive. But if it's a super hot day, or if you go during Sep/Oct when it's hot (or on those sporadic warm winter days), then it can't be beat. Plus, the town of Carmel is awesome for strolling, shopping, eating, etc.

I also happen to love Stinson Beach State Park in Marin County, but that may be far from you in the South Bay. It's really secluded, but the beach is a 3 mile crescent of sand, and the town is tiny but cute. There are lots of vacation homes there, which would make a great weekend getaway. The nicest part of the beach is not the main beach on the south end (where the lifeguard tower and the snack bar are), but the northern end, where the waves are really gentle and it's really quiet and not so busy. But because the beach is adjacent to a gated community of multimillion dollar homes, you may be asked to keep moving (not really supposed to plop down on the sand in that part of the beach). Stinson has often been called "Malibu North" because of it's high end, gated homes and its scenery. Stinson is also sunnier and warmer than surrouding beaches, due to similar topography as Santa Cruz (just south of a peninsula that jets out into the ocean and keeps the wind and fog away, much like what happens in Santa Barbara).

Your most bearable water temps are likely around Santa Cruz and Capitola. Have fun! Looks like this quick rainy season may come to an end in about ten days from what I see online!

Old 03-26-2012, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tstieber View Post
Ummm, I guess you've never been to the beach? Most of the larger beaches have lifeguards from spring through fall, at least those within 90 miles of the Bay Area.
Yes I've been to the beach and my impression was that they don't typically lifeguards on duty. Here's a quote from the Natural Bridges SB website. "Often there is no lifeguard on duty and the surf can be unpredictable."

I will admit that I don't hang around the larger state beaches during peak summer hours which is why I prefaced my post with "I may be mistaken". I used to be an avid windsurfer and spent an immense amount of time on beaches up and down the coast. Yet, I can't ever recall seeing a lifeguard. So thanks for the correction.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose