Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-03-2012, 07:42 PM

2 posts, read 2,802 times

Advertisements

Hi,
I was wondering what the typical rental process for a house in the area was like. The reason I ask is that a house I was interested in seeing said that I had to bring a completed application when I went for the viewing, a check for the application and a cashier's check for the security deposit. This surprised me because I wasn't expecting to have to take a cashiers check for the security deposit. It seems a bit weird to me but I'm not from the US so any a dive would be great fully received.

My second question is about when the first months rent is paid. Do you pay it in advance or just when you move in to the property? E.g. if the property wasn't ready for a couple of weeks would I just pay rent when I moved in, or would I be expected to pay it a couple of weeks in advance.

Thanks in advance for your advice
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2012, 08:19 AM

765 posts, read 2,440,538 times
When we rented our home 2 years ago, we had to fill out an application and get a credit check done (and clear) prior to moving in. Also, we had to provide 2 months rent security deposit AND first months rent, and this was all one month prior to moving in.

The only reason they wanted a cashiers check was that they probably had problems with tenants in the past giving them bad checks. I don't see any problems with what they are asking, the renting market is so tight here the landlords can ask what they want and pretty well get it.

Old 05-04-2012, 10:29 AM

6,288 posts, read 11,778,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenM99 View Post
Hi,
I was wondering what the typical rental process for a house in the area was like. The reason I ask is that a house I was interested in seeing said that I had to bring a completed application when I went for the viewing, a check for the application and a cashier's check for the security deposit. This surprised me because I wasn't expecting to have to take a cashiers check for the security deposit. It seems a bit weird to me but I'm not from the US so any a dive would be great fully received.
that's a very typical process here. Nothing unusual at all about that.

Quote:
My second question is about when the first months rent is paid. Do you pay it in advance or just when you move in to the property? E.g. if the property wasn't ready for a couple of weeks would I just pay rent when I moved in, or would I be expected to pay it a couple of weeks in advance.

Thanks in advance for your advice
It only counts from the date of move-in (you don't pay for days you don't live there) but whether you pay it in advance or not is up to the property manager. I'd say it's about 50/50. Again, nothing unusual here.

Old 05-04-2012, 12:15 PM

1,044 posts, read 2,767,970 times
I've never had to provide a cashier's check for the security deposit, but it doesn't seem like an unreasonable request.

Also, it seems somewhat unusual to be expected to bring a completed application and cashier's check just to view the property. It's a lot of work to go through for a property you might not even like. When I was renting, I would often view 5-10 places before choosing one. I would bring with me a package containing my credit reports, bank statements, etc., as well as my checkbook, but I would only expect to fill out an application for a property I was sure I was interested in. However, the rental market is tighter now than in recent years, so maybe landlords can get away with making these sorts of demands.

Everything else you described is pretty typical, including paying the first month's rent upon signing the lease, even if you aren't taking possession for a few weeks.

Old 05-04-2012, 02:23 PM

2 posts, read 2,802 times
Thanks for all the insights everyone!

The thing I was most worried about was doing the cashiers check just when initially viewing the property. I can afford to do it when I find one I'm interested in, but I can't afford to get cashiers checks for all the properties I am just checking out.

Old 05-04-2012, 03:13 PM

765 posts, read 2,440,538 times
I guess it is odd for viewing a property.....I assume once again that the landlord views his place as really desirable and wants to rent quick to a renter who is serious. They landlords won't hold places that you are interested in while you are checking out other properties. My landlord had a whole list of possible tenants but would only rent to applicants who would provide 2 months security and 1 months rent up front - which we did. It was a pile of money considering the rent was $2700/ month.

Old 05-04-2012, 05:11 PM

6,288 posts, read 11,778,248 times
Quote:
The thing I was most worried about was doing the cashiers check just when initially viewing the property. I can afford to do it when I find one I'm interested in, but I can't afford to get cashiers checks for all the properties I am just checking out.
Oh I wasn't paying attention when I read the initial post. I've never had to present any money just to view a property. That doesn't sound right and is definitely not typical.

Old 05-04-2012, 09:52 PM

7,284 posts, read 12,924,187 times
I would be VERY careful. There are all kinds of rental property scams. I would never pay anyone anything to view a property.

Old 05-05-2012, 06:02 PM

105 posts, read 338,220 times
Quote:

The thing I was most worried about was doing the cashiers check just when initially viewing the property.
Well, it doesn't sound right. Don't rent from them, they sound like they have no clue what they are doing. It may come to more surprises later (been there).

We rented 3 houses in Bay area (living in #3 now), and viewed much more. We never had to provide anything from our side when viewing properties, except may be a phone number for contact. Make an appointment and then go see the property, it's free. What are they going to do, refuse to show you the property if you don't bring a cashier check? Is the manager asking you for this stuff because you're not from the US? They may ask you for an additional deposit if you lack credit history, but they are not supposed to treat you like that when showing the property.

The deposit and rent for the first month are paid either upon signing an agreement, or upon getting the keys right before the rent starts. Other payment might be a fee for credit check (around $30-40 per person).

Typical process
1. Make an appointment and view the property. Nothing is required from you.
2. You may ask for a blank application form, whether you want the property or not. You may decide later, and don't have to fill it right away. They may also offer to put the property on hold for you, if you want it, but haven't completely decided yet, typically 1-2 days and deposit of $100 (never had it in cashier checks), so other renters don't take it while you're deciding. You can change your mind during this period, and they have to return your money. Just make sure it's not a scam. You're not required to put any deposits, if you don't care to put it on hold.
3. If you decide to rent, fill out the form and submit it, if the property is still available. They may also require a fee to perform credit check.
4. After they finish the credit check, and upon a decision to rent to you, you're invited to the office to sign a rental agreement. They may request you to pay the first month rent and security deposits now or later.
5. Before the start of the rent, you're invited to get the keys, and withing the first (typically 3) days you should perform a move-in inspection. It should be in your agreement.
6. You don't have to rent a property because you viewed it or because you asked for an application, shop around for better properties and prices.

Last edited by whiterabbit2; 05-05-2012 at 06:28 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
View detailed profiles of: