Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2012, 02:20 PM

926 posts, read 979,731 times

Advertisements

My gf has accounting degree and 4-5 years of experience in medical industry. I am trying to bring her for us to settle in the bay area and meantime trying to see if i can help her to find something but myself being relatively new to the area (1yr), i am kinda lost to where to look at. For one year at job I still dont have a lot of connection less social circles outside work. So if you are in a close to this field or your friend family, could you share experience advices. Any kind of ideas would be welcome. I work as an engineer and it field I have no clue about accounting degree, so I am specifically interested in how the job market for business accounting degree with several years of experience in the bay area.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2012, 03:46 PM

10,990 posts, read 20,570,522 times
I gather she doesn't intend to become a CPA.

There are firms such as Account Temps which would be one way to explore permanent employment opportunities. That particular firm may have an office in her current community and if so she should at least talk to them.

Other than that there are the inter-net resume posting services such as Monster.

Old 05-27-2012, 12:21 PM

6,288 posts, read 11,782,238 times
My wife works in an accounting department doing payroll. She got this job first through a temp agency and then became permanent later. There are some temp agencies that specialize in accounting. Do a google search. A lot of the accounting jobs are in San Francisco. You can also get on with the startups and high tech companies in the South Bay. From what I've seen, it's a very active job market for that field.

Old 05-27-2012, 02:26 PM

297 posts, read 766,940 times
Default Accounting career

I'm an accountant, and yes, there are tons of jobs out there, but employers are currently very picky. They tend to want industry experience, CPA with Big 4, experience with their accounting system, as well as exact experience in the duties on that job. At least that is what i'm finding for senior accountant jobs, which i'm assuming she's looking for. Because of the job market, salaries are all over the place also. The best salaries are in tech, but they usually require a lot of OT-unpaid of course.

Her best bet is, as others have said sign up with some of the temp/placement agencies that are specific to accounting/finance fields. If she looks at the jobs listed on indeed.com, craigslist, monster etc. - you can see which firms are advertising the most jobs (and bigger is not always better, I've had better luck with smaller firms). Temping is probably the best way to get into the job market here since she doesn't have any personal contacts.

Old 05-27-2012, 04:16 PM

Thanks so much for various insights. Yes I do know she is looking to get CPA eventually. She also mentioned me about big 4 and unfortunately she has no experience in those. She is in abroad now and got an offer from E&Y but she said salary was too low where others paying better. May be i could suggest her working for E&Y. I dont except her salary to be much basically any reasonable salary and somewhat below would be fine, at least initially. Something to contribute on my income.

I initially went for contract position when I moved her first but had a tumultous experience, so temp position initially also sounds pretty good to me.
Please keep posting..
Thanks

Old 05-30-2012, 09:18 AM

She should seriously consider the EY opportunity. The pay may be low but the experience unequalled. My daughter went to EY from college where she audited high tech. She was offered a position as controller in the industry, then promoted to CFO - and she is not yet 40. Seniors at SJC EY may remember her.

Auditing can be a career but for most it is the experience and exposure to an industry.

Old 05-30-2012, 01:00 PM

1,569 posts, read 2,044,655 times
The big 4 here in the bay area start in the 50's, but the pay does ramp up, it looks good on the resume, and it is a great networking opportunity.

Old 05-30-2012, 10:51 PM

Okay what I understand from last two posters you guys is EY and big4 pay is comparatively lower but experience better right? EY i assume ernst young? Thanks!

Old 05-31-2012, 01:29 PM

Yes, EY is Ernst & Young, one of the big 4.

Old 06-07-2012, 12:12 PM

I talked to my gf about all this conversation and she does seem to agree on this althought with big4 she said would not be surprised if they offer in 30k range. But let me be more optimistic and stick with rimme's figure , I am going to start getting into some action, thanks for you guys' advice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose