Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2012, 12:10 PM

2,026 posts, read 2,779,866 times

Advertisements

Hi

I have recently moved to the bay are from the UK. Now I live in south San Jose and have 30-60 minutes (each direction, depending on the traffic) commute to work in Sunnyvale.
I am planning on moving closer to work, probably to south Santa Clara or Sunnyvale.

So, in the craigslist advertisments I see two distinct price ranges for 1bed apartments. One range is around $1250 the other one is around $1600. I dont see many apartments between the twoo ranges, most of them are close to either of the two numbers above. Why is that? What is the difference? Checking the apartment photos and locations they all look similar quality.

The other thing that I am thinking on is moving to a gated community or to a single-building (multiple apartments, like a 4plex-8plex) in a residental street. In south SJ I live in a gated community where it seem to make sense, the sorrounding looks a littlebit rough, but what about Sunnyvale/SC ? Is there any advantage of a gated community? I dont use the shared swimming pool here (most people at the pool look the type I always avoided, aggressive and uneducated), nor the gym. I am planning to go to a big public pool for regular lap swimming, which would probably not be in an apartment complex but in a sports centre or something.

One more thing: windows. The place I am now has single-glazed windows, and in cold weather the cold air just comes through the edges of ot. This is a lot worse then the standard windows I am used to in europe. How common is it to have better insulating double glazed plastic/wood framed windows in rental apartments in the bay area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2012, 12:30 AM

1,263 posts, read 4,011,218 times
The range difference can be either: Big corporation managed apartment complexes vs individual owners
or renovated (with stainless steel appliances, granite countertops) vs not
or size difference.

Either way 1600$ for a 1 bedroom sounds very inexpensive nowadays. Good findings.

Finding good insulated place in California is tough. That's why I only rent either well built mid-rises or town homes that don't have people above or below me. The good weather here gave them excuses to build on a crappy standard. It is not just the windows. The walls are crappy too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by buenos View Post
Hi

I have recently moved to the bay are from the UK. Now I live in south San Jose and have 30-60 minutes (each direction, depending on the traffic) commute to work in Sunnyvale.
I am planning on moving closer to work, probably to south Santa Clara or Sunnyvale.

So, in the craigslist advertisments I see two distinct price ranges for 1bed apartments. One range is around $1250 the other one is around $1600. I dont see many apartments between the twoo ranges, most of them are close to either of the two numbers above. Why is that? What is the difference? Checking the apartment photos and locations they all look similar quality.

The other thing that I am thinking on is moving to a gated community or to a single-building (multiple apartments, like a 4plex-8plex) in a residental street. In south SJ I live in a gated community where it seem to make sense, the sorrounding looks a littlebit rough, but what about Sunnyvale/SC ? Is there any advantage of a gated community? I dont use the shared swimming pool here (most people at the pool look the type I always avoided, aggressive and uneducated), nor the gym. I am planning to go to a big public pool for regular lap swimming, which would probably not be in an apartment complex but in a sports centre or something.

One more thing: windows. The place I am now has single-glazed windows, and in cold weather the cold air just comes through the edges of ot. This is a lot worse then the standard windows I am used to in europe. How common is it to have better insulating double glazed plastic/wood framed windows in rental apartments in the bay area?

Last edited by fashionguy; 07-05-2012 at 12:39 AM..

Old 07-05-2012, 06:44 AM

392 posts, read 807,226 times
If you show us URL for both 1200$ and 1600$ apartments we can see more detail about those rentals.

Old 07-05-2012, 08:25 AM

Ok, here are 2 examples:
1200~
Lawrence and El Camino
1600~
Spacious Upstairs Home w/ Private Balcony In Quiet Landscape Community

Is it worth renting in a gated community vs in a residental street? (if not using shared amenities like pool/gym) In a gated community they employ a lot of people, and maintain big shared resources which muct cost money.

Old 07-05-2012, 09:54 AM

Neither of these specified size so difficult to compare. Square footage matters a lot in determining price. A 1 bedroom in the bay area can range from 400 sq ft to 900 sq ft.

Quote:
Ok, here are 2 examples:
1200~
Lawrence and El Camino
1600~

Is it worth renting in a gated community vs in a residental street? (if not using shared amenities like pool/gym) In a gated community they employ a lot of people, and maintain big shared resources which muct cost money.

Old 07-05-2012, 12:37 PM

1,790 posts, read 2,928,392 times
Quote:
Ok, here are 2 examples:
1200~
Lawrence and El Camino
1600~

i'm not sure why you keep using the term "gated community". that refers to a housing development with a central gate for entrance and exit.

the second one looks nicer with more amenities and sunnyvale is probably considered a more central location than santa clara.

wiki:

In its modern form, a gated community is a form of residential community or housing estate containing strictly-controlled entrances for pedestrians, bicycles, and automobiles, and often characterized by a closed perimeter of walls and fences. Gated communities usually consist of small residential streets and include various shared amenities. For smaller communities this may be only a park or other common area. For larger communities, it may be possible for residents to stay within the community for most day-to-day activities. Gated communities are a type of common interest development, but are distinct from intentional communities.
Given that gated communities are spatially a type of enclave, Setha M. Low, among other anthropologists, has argued that they have a negative effect on the overall social capital of the broader community outside the gated community.[1]
Some gated communities, usually called guard-gated communities, are staffed by private security guards and are often home to high-value properties, and/or are set up as retirement villages. Some gated communities are secure enough to resemble fortresses and are intended as such.

Old 07-05-2012, 07:41 PM

I referred to "gated community", becouse its my impression that here in the bay area most rental housing is in a fenced area. I live in "the woods" ( www.woodsapartments.com/ ) which is like that. My view might be distorted by the fact that probably the bigger housing companies (owning a gated area with 500 apartments) advertise on the internet more often than small building owners (4-20 flats). How do i find these smaller housing options, just drive around and watch for signs?

Old 07-05-2012, 07:59 PM

1,790 posts, read 2,928,392 times
Quote:
I referred to "gated community", becouse its my impression that here in the bay area most rental housing is in a fenced area. I live in "the woods" ( www.woodsapartments.com/ ) which is like that. My view might be distorted by the fact that probably the bigger housing companies (owning a gated area with 500 apartments) advertise on the internet more often than small building owners (4-20 flats). How do i find these smaller housing options, just drive around and watch for signs?
i've just never heard of an apartment complex being referred to as a gated community. both links you posted are in residential areas and both are what i would call apartment complexes. one is just bigger than the other. gated communities are single family homes with streets that are completely enclosed around the entire perimeter.

smaller complexes may be listed on craigslist, they may be listed in the newspaper, or yes, you could drive around and look. i haven't rented in 20 years but that was how i find my last apartment in mountain view. i drove around to the street i'd lived on before. i ended up living five and a half years in one apartment and six and a half years living in another, all on the same street. they were both owned by large corporations though.

Old 07-05-2012, 08:50 PM

7,688 posts, read 29,163,263 times
Age, size and amenities are the biggest determinants in apartment values around here. The location can matter if it's super convenient, but otherwise, there's actually very little variation between similar apartments in good and bad areas.

Old 07-05-2012, 08:51 PM

Your understanding of gated community is actually quite off. Many big apartment complexes now advertise their community as gated to give prospective tenants a sense of security.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5thgenSF View Post
i've just never heard of an apartment complex being referred to as a gated community. both links you posted are in residential areas and both are what i would call apartment complexes. one is just bigger than the other. gated communities are single family homes with streets that are completely enclosed around the entire perimeter.

smaller complexes may be listed on craigslist, they may be listed in the newspaper, or yes, you could drive around and look. i haven't rented in 20 years but that was how i find my last apartment in mountain view. i drove around to the street i'd lived on before. i ended up living five and a half years in one apartment and six and a half years living in another, all on the same street. they were both owned by large corporations though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose