Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2012, 01:54 PM

25 posts, read 71,347 times

Advertisements

I live in Walnut Creek, Ca (east bay area) and soon me and my family will have to relocate somewhere close to Redwood city inside 40 min drive (with no traffic). I'm asking for advise of what place may I choose to live in, as I spent many hours online researching, and could not find anything like Walnut Creek I so got used to live in. What I like so much about it and what I'm looking for:

- feel safe on a street at late time
- good kinder-gardens and elementary schools for my kids (3-10 years old)
- there are many good parks for kids to play in, beautiful surroundings
- it's not boring, I mean there should be downtown with some sort of entertaining infrastructure like shopping centers, movie theaters, restaurants, cafes, some museums and classes for kids etc.
- home prices are not overwhelming, like not quite old 2/3-bedroom 1200 sq feet condo/townhouse in very good condition for under $500K. This is important as I'm going to buy, not to rent.

So shortly speaking it should be inexpensive FAMILY city, and not boring to some degree. This is what I get used to have in lovely Walnut Creek. The whole peninsula is too expensive, I seemingly cannot afford it, further to the south prices are dropping, but quality of school are much lower. The only inexpensive place with good schools I found is Pleasanton, but it's pretty far away, and seems to be boring to live in.

Thank you for any recommendations!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2012, 02:31 PM

264 posts, read 831,624 times
If you are determined to buy something for under 500k in a safe neighborhood with great schools in the south bay within a closer distance to mountain view you will have to be extremely flexible and most likely compromising on the condo/house age and work that needs to be done on the condo/house. And to boot, these properties go extremely fast so you may need to be willing to bid up or get a good offer in right away...

Almaden San Jose will meet most of your requirements...and I think works as an equivalent to walnut creek. Two and three bedroom condos in this area aren't many, and once they do come on the market, you will have to pounce on them!

Old 09-05-2012, 04:56 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,137,817 times
Look in Pacifica.

Old 09-06-2012, 10:44 AM

2,406 posts, read 6,041,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypee View Post
Look in Pacifica.
I'm pretty sure that doesn't really meet the OP's criteria.

Old 09-06-2012, 10:51 AM

Any thoughts about Pleasanton? Real estate precises are affordable there, and schools seem to be very good, but I heard from my friend that demand is a way over what is offered, meaning school classes are overfilled, I do not if it's true or not. I drove by few times but never stopped, and I have no idea regarding safety and how much fun to live there. Please advise

Old 09-06-2012, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstnghu2 View Post
I'm pretty sure that doesn't really meet the OP's criteria.
Really? In what way?

Old 09-06-2012, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YuryM View Post
Any thoughts about Pleasanton? Real estate precises are affordable there, and schools seem to be very good, but I heard from my friend that demand is a way over what is offered, meaning school classes are overfilled, I do not if it's true or not. I drove by few times but never stopped, and I have no idea regarding safety and how much fun to live there. Please advise
Pleasanton's just fine if you don't mind the 2-hr roundtrip to RWC everyday. I used to live in RWC and drove to Pleasanton for work -- never again.

Old 09-06-2012, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Pleasanton's just fine if you don't mind the 2-hr roundtrip to RWC everyday. I used to live in RWC and drove to Pleasanton for work -- never again.
Google maps shows 40 min with no traffic, my job suppose pretty flat schedule, I can start at 10 am and finish at 8 pm, I know it will be longer than 40 min anyway, but 1 hour each way is kinda Ok for me. So other than traveling time, any other things should I concern about? Thanks

Old 09-06-2012, 11:22 AM

2,406 posts, read 6,041,770 times
Quote:
Really? In what way?
The OP specifically said "- it's not boring, I mean there should be downtown with some sort of entertaining infrastructure like shopping centers, movie theaters, restaurants, cafes, some museums and classes for kids etc.

Pacifica doesn't have this at all. SF is somewhat close, but that would be a headache to have to head there every time.

Not to mention, most of Pacifica just has a depressing run-down feel to it and has terrible weather. It also feels far removed and isolated from the rest of the Bay Area. It's also definitely not in the southern half of the Bay Area as the OP requested.

Old 09-06-2012, 11:26 AM

102,215 posts, read 107,956,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YuryM View Post
I live in Walnut Creek, Ca (east bay area) and soon me and my family will have to relocate somewhere close to Redwood city inside 40 min drive (with no traffic). I'm asking for advise of what place may I choose to live in, as I spent many hours online researching, and could not find anything like Walnut Creek I so got used to live in. What I like so much about it and what I'm looking for:

- feel safe on a street at late time
- good kinder-gardens and elementary schools for my kids (3-10 years old)
- there are many good parks for kids to play in, beautiful surroundings
- it's not boring, I mean there should be downtown with some sort of entertaining infrastructure like shopping centers, movie theaters, restaurants, cafes, some museums and classes for kids etc.
- home prices are not overwhelming, like not quite old 2/3-bedroom 1200 sq feet condo/townhouse in very good condition for under $500K. This is important as I'm going to buy, not to rent.

So shortly speaking it should be inexpensive FAMILY city, and not boring to some degree. This is what I get used to have in lovely Walnut Creek. The whole peninsula is too expensive, I seemingly cannot afford it, further to the south prices are dropping, but quality of school are much lower. The only inexpensive place with good schools I found is Pleasanton, but it's pretty far away, and seems to be boring to live in.
You're not asking for the moon are you, OP? All those amenities AND affordability? Good luck with that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose