Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-17-2012, 03:07 PM

23 posts, read 119,387 times

Advertisements

Can someone explain (slowly ) GPA's to someone potentially relocating from the UK?

Are students in Middle School given one or is it just High School.

I think I have managed to get a translation/transcript of our twin daughters GPA using their exam results in England.

We have come up with 3.8 for one and 4.0 for the other but what does this mean? Are these good/bad/average?

If anyone can shed any light/personal experiences then it would be much appreciated.

Many thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2012, 05:38 PM

10,990 posts, read 20,570,522 times
A 4.0 is an "A". Get an "F" and you fail the class, "D" is a barely passing grade and so on.

Some schools award a grade higher than 4 (or A) to students who are high performers in a class that is very academically demanding. Grade competition is fierce in some high schools so some teach to the test.

Old 09-17-2012, 05:51 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,845,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clarity1971 View Post
We have come up with 3.8 for one and 4.0 for the other but what does this mean? Are these good/bad/average?
Doing quite well, if these are accurate. Means you have "A" students. In high school, AP classes are often offered, which get an extra grade point (B=4, A=5), which can help boost that GPA up to something highly-competitive universities can hardly refuse. Highly useful when needed to offset a C or a few B's.

Old 09-17-2012, 06:03 PM

6,957 posts, read 22,313,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdumbgod View Post
Highly useful when needed to offset a C or a few B's.
Where was this system when I went to school?

Old 09-17-2012, 07:16 PM

3,683 posts, read 9,862,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdumbgod View Post
Doing quite well, if these are accurate. Means you have "A" students. In high school, AP classes are often offered, which get an extra grade point (B=4, A=5), which can help boost that GPA up to something highly-competitive universities can hardly refuse. Highly useful when needed to offset a C or a few B's.
Those AP classes and their extra GPA point are needed to get into competitive programs. UCB College of Engineering incoming freshmen averaged 4.45 in 2010.

BEAR News June 2010 — UC Berkeley College of Engineering

Thank god I went to college when I did - I might have actually have had to show up for a few classes in high school to get into a decent engineering school were I a student now.

Old 09-18-2012, 10:49 AM

2,206 posts, read 3,361,673 times
Here is a link to a chart with letter grades calculated to GPA's. Ignore the percentage section as it can differ from school to school. Calculate Grade Point Average (GPA) with Percentages | Great College Advice

In high school Advanced Placement classes will result in an extra grade point (an A will = 5, B = 4, C = 3, etc).

At our high school, an A = superior, B = better than average, C = Average, D= Barely Passing, F= Failure.

Our schools didn't use GPA's until high school (but other schools may differ ).

Old 09-18-2012, 04:47 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,845,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MediocreButArrogant View Post
UCB College of Engineering incoming freshmen averaged 4.45 in 2010.
Hated those people for killing the grading curve and taking all the scholarships, but had a lot more fun than any of 'em, so it breaks about even.

Old 09-18-2012, 08:29 PM

10,990 posts, read 20,570,522 times
I really have an issue with GPAs. As many on the board have mentioned we didn't have those stellar GPA when we graduated from high school. Many Cupertino HS student parents put enormous pressure on teachers to award high grades forcing them to 'teach to the test'. The reality is that this may be great for future engineers but not for creative talent like Steve Jobs.

Acceptance at MIT is not predictive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
View detailed profiles of: