Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2012, 02:34 PM

37 posts, read 59,003 times

Advertisements

I've lived in the South Bay a couple years, and I recently discovered this spot just 10 min. from my house.

Alviso Marina County Park (Google map HERE)

It's basically a long trail that circles the Alviso slough, AKA the far southern tip of SF Bay.

It's a gorgeous spot with great views and seems like a nice discovery. But the place has an abandoned feel and has very few people at any time. While that makes it that more peaceful, it also makes me wonder if everyone's staying away because the place is a health hazard. I do see ducks and pelicans around, and they're not dropping dead. But I also notice these suspicious clouds of insects at foot/knee-level, and a couple strange odors in the air.

Does anyone else know more about the Alviso Marina park? Anyone ever go there? Should I be concerned, or can I enjoy this place with no reservations?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2012, 02:47 PM

493 posts, read 783,626 times
it hasnt really been there any longer than you have been here rs, its very new.

add to that pretty much anything that has "alviso" attached to it, people are going to tend to stay away from there. hopefully in the future that mentality can change.

Old 11-13-2012, 03:16 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,847,416 times
There's nothing wrong with it, it's just remote from practically anywhere. We used to take groups on the bus over there for lunch until VTA cut off the 58 bus' daytime hours. People like it in part because it's a place to get away from the density of the South Bay.

Try Maria Elena's for lunch while you're there, and visit the nearby Environmental Education Center in the Don Edwards National Wildlife Refuge.

Old 11-13-2012, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdumbgod View Post
There's nothing wrong with it, it's just remote from practically anywhere. We used to take groups on the bus over there for lunch until VTA cut off the 58 bus' daytime hours. People like it in part because it's a place to get away from the density of the South Bay.

Try Maria Elena's for lunch while you're there, and visit the nearby Environmental Education Center in the Don Edwards National Wildlife Refuge.
I've tried two other really good casual-type restaurants near there, one new (Lunch with Tony) and one old (Rosita's). There's also the Taco de Oro truck and restaurant. Yelp reviewers seem to like all of them. There's also this really curious-looking restaurant/bar called Vahl's that people say literally hasn't changed a bit in decades, which could be a good or bad thing.

But the park itself is the highlight. There really doesn't seem to be anywhere in this part of the South Bay where you can really (I mean really) get away from the endless sea of cars and people, except for here.

Old 11-14-2012, 01:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rs913 View Post
There's also this really curious-looking restaurant/bar called Vahl's that people say literally hasn't changed a bit in decades, which could be a good or bad thing.
It's a step back to the old days of Alviso + Valley of Heart's Delight when you go in there. Then again, so is much of Alviso.

Old 11-14-2012, 10:42 AM

2,406 posts, read 6,041,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rs913 View Post
I've tried two other really good casual-type restaurants near there, one new (Lunch with Tony) and one old (Rosita's). There's also the Taco de Oro truck and restaurant. Yelp reviewers seem to like all of them. There's also this really curious-looking restaurant/bar called Vahl's that people say literally hasn't changed a bit in decades, which could be a good or bad thing.

But the park itself is the highlight. There really doesn't seem to be anywhere in this part of the South Bay where you can really (I mean really) get away from the endless sea of cars and people, except for here.

Honestly, if you really just want to get away from it all, there are tons of easily accessible places throughout the South Bay where you can be out in the middle of nowhere in just minutes. Actually, one of the great things about the Bay Area is that it's really easy to get out of the hustle and bustle and get out in nature.

I'd start here:

www.ebparks.org/

www.sccgov.org/sites/parks/

Old 11-15-2012, 05:55 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,409,113 times
I remember when it was still a real marina.

At night the parking lot was a good place to party and _______ !

Old 11-16-2012, 06:55 PM

You sometimes see stuff going on there. I saw some kind of high school biology class doing a field trip there once. And it seems to be popular for modeling-type photo shoots. Just last week some girl wearing a little sweater dress and knee-high stiletto boots was being photographed all over that boardwalk thing that leads to the path. Not that I noticed or anything.

But usually that park is pretty quiet. Like post-apocalypse quiet.

Old 11-16-2012, 11:55 PM

7,284 posts, read 12,929,816 times

A Trip to Drawbridge - YouTube

Old 11-18-2012, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imcurious View Post
Makes me want a GoPro for X-mas.

But if you make the trip out to Drawbridge, you probably don't want the Amtrak people seeing you, since they'll report anybody trespassing out there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose