Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-26-2013, 05:11 PM

3 posts, read 10,849 times

Advertisements

I recently moved to the area and my commute takes me along San Tomas, which has carpool lanes on the right side of the road. I was just wondering if anyone knows what the rules are when you need to make a right turn during carpool hours? At what point are you allowed to get into the carpool lane to make the turn? Is there a difference between the letter of the law and the common practice of drivers?
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2013, 06:08 PM

310 posts, read 686,976 times
You can make a right turn. So, you should feel free to do that. You should also feel free to do it safely and not dodge into the car pool lane at the last moment in order to make your turn.

If I enter, I try to get out before the next traffic light, that is, the next major intersection. If exit, I enter the car pool lane less than one traffic light or intersection from my turn. If it is crowded, I might exit later or get over earlier.

I'm not sure what the letter of the law is.

Old 05-26-2013, 11:54 PM

240 posts, read 478,258 times
If you find yourself in the carpool lane, you're either exiting at the next intersection or merging out of it by the next intersection. Intersection is understood to mean "stoplight"

Old 05-27-2013, 12:37 AM

1,963 posts, read 3,043,535 times
Like a couple people mentioned, you have until the next light. According to the local "traffic and roadways" column ("Mr Roadshow" in the SJ Mercury News) cops will ticket you if you drive through an intersection while in the carpool land and you are not legally allowed to be in that lane. I generally don't *immediately* jump in the carpool lane just after the last stoplight before my exit, I wait until I can safely merge about half-way between the two lights, or a little later (unless traffic is waaay backed up in my lane).

Old 05-27-2013, 09:22 AM

7,688 posts, read 29,152,138 times
Everyone else has pretty much covered it. This would also be a good thread to mention that some freeway onramps have 24/7 carpool lanes, like from Capitol to 101N. (And legitimately so, as it can be backed up all day long.)

Old 05-28-2013, 09:15 AM

563 posts, read 807,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonarrat View Post
Everyone else has pretty much covered it. This would also be a good thread to mention that some freeway onramps have 24/7 carpool lanes, like from Capitol to 101N. (And legitimately so, as it can be backed up all day long.)
At least the weekend traffic jams are gone now, or so I think, haven't been there in a while. If you asked me, I would habe just turned the metering light on all day long due to the merging problem.

Old 05-28-2013, 11:33 AM

2,279 posts, read 4,743,861 times
Those right-lane carpool lanes threw me off at first, when I moved here a few years ago! I should have thought to ask here, y'all could have explained them to me.

Old 05-28-2013, 12:25 PM

110 posts, read 269,971 times
Ha ha me too Wry, I ended up in one the other day and didnt notice for about 200 yards , freaked me out when I finally did as there was a cop to the side of the road !! luckily I was turning right at the light so he ignored me.

Old 05-28-2013, 05:23 PM

1,963 posts, read 3,043,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonarrat View Post
Yeah - if a carpool lane (generally on the on-ramps) doesn't have day/time posted, then it is in effect 24 hours.

Old 05-29-2013, 02:11 PM

3 posts, read 10,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nagleepark View Post
If I enter, I try to get out before the next traffic light, that is, the next major intersection. If exit, I enter the car pool lane less than one traffic light or intersection from my turn.
Cool, that's pretty much what I guessed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose