Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-28-2013, 12:14 AM

22 posts, read 31,576 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I've plans to rent a condo in the 2200 block of Monroe St, Santa Clara (zip 95050). The neighborhood looks kind of dull. Does anyone have an idea how safe the place is? Is it a safe area to walk around during day? Are any members of this forum living in Coronado Villas condos? Any comments? Is it a lively complex?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2013, 09:09 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,487,749 times
It's okay over there. I wouldn't worry about walking around during the day there.

I did a spotcrime search:

SpotCrime Crime Map

I did a spotcrime search for my address next to Santa Clara University, which I feel really safe in, and there's actually more crime reported in my neighborhood, even though my neighborhood is supposedly better LOL! I feel safe walking around any time of the day or night in my neighborhood.

Don't know anymore about that part of town.

If you're looking for "lively" areas, the bars around the university are usually hopping, from what I hear. There's also a new place called "Justin's" on Homestead between Lafayette and Jackson that recently opened and has a happy hour, which looks kind of upscale, also just a block from the university. Haven't been in it yet. It's a restaurant/bar. Justin's is on the same block as Franklin Mall, which has at least two other more divey bars frequented by students. Oh, and there's the Hut on Franklin St next to the university, too.

Wasn't sure if that's what you meant by "lively."

Old 07-04-2013, 02:30 PM

1,027 posts, read 1,378,193 times
I used to live and work right in that area (not on that particular block). Dull, yes. Unsafe, no. The area is very safe. Higher Asian and Hispanic population so it can have a "blue collar" feel but while I was there it was a great quiet place to live and work.

Old 07-17-2013, 02:34 AM

848 posts, read 966,892 times
Funny this area should be brought up. I lived right there on Deborah Dr for 20 years. I'm biased by way of long term experience, but I can say that as a skinny nerdy white kid growing up there from 1990 (from when I was 9) to 2009, I never had any problems. If you are coming out the driveway from Coronado Villas onto Monroe St., that street right in front of you with all the 4-plexes is where I lived. The Coronado Villas (I think they used to be called Los Padres Village) are really nice. I used to walk through there as a kid going to Cabrillo Middle School, but then they had to go and put up a black iron cage around the edge of the property. Nice pool too. When we were kids swimming there and got questioned by the management, a couple of residents chilling at the pool at that moment vouched for us, saying "Hey those are my kids". Awesome.

There used to be a nice, convenient little shopping center right there on the northwest corner of Scott and Monroe. It was a GREAT shopping center for the area. Not the best places, but for us poor people at the time, it was a cheap and convenient neighborhood shopping center. Liquor store, video store, bar (pass; I was a child), dry cleaner, bingo for old people on Wednesdays, and a big grocery store. But then someone had to go and tear down an area thousands of people used each day just so a few dozen rich people could have million dollar townhouses with no yards.

Anyway, like I said, I grew up there as a skinny, nerdy, white kid with glasses and never had any problems walking around by myself through that area, day or night. So I think you'd be fine. The little neighborhood back there I described LOOKS sketchy, definitely, and I wouldn't voluntarily live there again, but in terms of safety, I never had any problems.

Old 07-19-2013, 06:26 PM

22 posts, read 31,576 times
Thanks all for the replies.. The Coronado Villas townhomes are very nice, but I chose to live elsewhere as I wasn't sure how the area is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose