Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2014, 10:14 PM

8 posts, read 76,475 times

Advertisements

My husband is in the process of pursuing a career at Tesla. He currently works at Ford as an Engineer and it appears he would be able to work in a similar position at Tesla. Based off of a lot of comments and reviews on the company, I'm feeling less optimistic about him working for Tesla. Many reviews are saying that the work environment is unpleasant and the amount of time spent working is insane, to the point where employees have said they never get a day off and work 12+ hours a day. Also that the salary is not high enough for the cost of living in the Bay Area. I'm unsure if I should believe these reviews, and if I should continue our quest to live in the Bay Area as well as have my husband work for Tesla.

We don't have kids but are planning on starting a family so a good school district would be important. We're coming from Ann Arbor, Michigan. We absolutely love Ann Arbor, being in a college town and the uniqueness of the city. Big focus on local, organic food and great restaurants. So we'd love to be able to live in or near a city like that.

Some of my questions for those who are familiar with Tesla and the Bay Area are:
-What do you know about Tesla?
-Is Tesla the best opportunity for him in the field of Engineering or should he consider other companies?
-If he does take the job at Tesla, where would you recommend living?
-Any other information about your thoughts on working/living in the Bay Area would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2014, 12:18 AM

18,813 posts, read 32,480,254 times
I followed you to your new thread...

People will need the info you posted regarding working in Fremont and having family in Oakland, so I cut and pasted it here:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eblooms View Post
Thanks for the encouragement! He believes he would be in Fremont, we're unsure of his salary because he's still in the beginning stages of the interviewing process but we believe if we wanted to buy a house right away we'd be around the $400k mark. His brother and wife live in Oakland so we'd have the possibility of staying with them for a while until we find a place we'd like to live.

We don't have kids but are planning on starting a family so a good school district would be important. We're coming from Ann Arbor, Michigan. We absolutely love Ann Arbor, being in a college town and the uniqueness of the city. Big focus on local, organic food and great restaurants. So we'd love to be able to live in or near a city like that.
I decided to move my last post to you here, too:

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
I think the SF, Oakland forum would be better for you than the SJ forum, since you have friends/family in Oakland and will be working in Fremont. Fremont is considered East Bay, whereas San Jose would be South Bay.

You want to minimize commuting. It really is a bear in the Bay Area. (I lived there most of my life, just recently moved to Redding). For quality of life, live close to where you work, and do your driving out of the area during off-peak times.

Fremont is a decent place to live. I like how it's up against the foothills. There are a lot of parks, good schools, too.

Here's some reviews with lots of good info:

City of Fremont - Fremont, CA

You would be close to your family/friends in Oakland, where there's restaurants and entertainment galore.

Buying a house or condo/townhome would be possible in your price range, too.

Fremont Real Estate - Fremont, CA Homes for Sale - realtor.com®

Old 01-22-2014, 11:17 AM

1,696 posts, read 2,859,540 times
To me, I would only work for 3 other companies in the Bay, besides the current one I'm working for. That would be Google, Samsung, and Tesla. All three companies are "exciting" places that build REAL things, and all three are already "movers and shakers" in the world.

Tesla is a new company, more like a tech company that happens to build cars as its main product. So the culture would be more akin to the tech culture. High reward, hard work. It depends on how your husband see things.

Like NoMoreSnow, I would definitely pick Fremont as the place to stay since it'll be as close to Tesla as possible. Here in the Bay, a short commute to work is the key to happiness. Don't worry about large homes, living close to "happening spots", etc. The COMMUTE is your key to happiness.

Old 01-22-2014, 12:09 PM

8 posts, read 76,475 times
Thanks for the input and help NoMoreSnowForMe (that's exactly what I'm hoping for at this time next year!) Ann Arbor's winter has been awful!! Also thanks for helping out posting useful information, I'm new to this forum thing We haven't heard much about Fremont but I know that would definitely make my husband happy since the commute wouldn't be bad at all. We were unsure if we could afford a house we would like or the school district/city life there.

Bobby_guz_man, my husband definitely likes what he's read about Tesla and how it's up and coming and their standpoint/philosophy for producing cars. Working for Ford in the Big 3 versus Tesla would be a huge change for him, which I believe is very welcome. Based off some of the reviews I read, it made me nervous so I wanted to get a feel from people who aren't bitter (or plane insane) and whom would give rational and helpful feedback. It appears you mostly hear the bad vs. good on things like that. The more he researches Tesla the better he's feeling. He also has a former coworker who is now working at Tesla who used to work at Ford and he said he likes it. I had mentioned this in my other post, but my husband hates his commute now, an hour each way, so he's all about the short commute and Fremont sounds like it would be ideal for him. We just haven't heard much about that city and most people are recommending places like Pleasanton/Dublin or San Ramon to live. We also heard Tesla puts their employees up in temporary housing for up to 90 days which would be ideal for us to get a feel for where we want to live, and either rent or buy a place. Now I guess the only thing left is for him to actually get the job! Finger crossed!

Old 01-22-2014, 03:47 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,480,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eblooms View Post
Thanks for the input and help NoMoreSnowForMe (that's exactly what I'm hoping for at this time next year!) Ann Arbor's winter has been awful!! Also thanks for helping out posting useful information, I'm new to this forum thing We haven't heard much about Fremont but I know that would definitely make my husband happy since the commute wouldn't be bad at all. We were unsure if we could afford a house we would like or the school district/city life there.

Bobby_guz_man, my husband definitely likes what he's read about Tesla and how it's up and coming and their standpoint/philosophy for producing cars. Working for Ford in the Big 3 versus Tesla would be a huge change for him, which I believe is very welcome. Based off some of the reviews I read, it made me nervous so I wanted to get a feel from people who aren't bitter (or plane insane) and whom would give rational and helpful feedback. It appears you mostly hear the bad vs. good on things like that. The more he researches Tesla the better he's feeling. He also has a former coworker who is now working at Tesla who used to work at Ford and he said he likes it. I had mentioned this in my other post, but my husband hates his commute now, an hour each way, so he's all about the short commute and Fremont sounds like it would be ideal for him. We just haven't heard much about that city and most people are recommending places like Pleasanton/Dublin or San Ramon to live. We also heard Tesla puts their employees up in temporary housing for up to 90 days which would be ideal for us to get a feel for where we want to live, and either rent or buy a place. Now I guess the only thing left is for him to actually get the job! Finger crossed!
When I relocated from the Davis area to the Santa Clara area (by San Jose), I stayed in the Extended Stay Hotel in Fremont. It was nice and a good deal. Not sure where they'd put you up, and it's been about 10 years since I stayed there, now that I think about it - lol! But, it was a good place to stay.

I happened to be studying for a scary exam - a bar exam by the CA Bar Assoc called the 1st year law student's exam, and needed a quiet place to stay and study, take the test, then look for a job and place to live in the Santa Clara area. I first stayed in the Extended Stay in Fremont on Farwell, then after getting a job, relocated to the one in Santa Clara (Alvis area), before finding an apt. I was happy with both of them.

My daughter stayed in one a couple years ago when she relocated for a job in Walnut Creek. She stayed at the one in Concord and hated it. So, I guess they can be hit and miss, but I was happy at the ones I stayed at.

Fremont - Newark hotel | Extended Stay America

Anyway, I know the company will pay, but just wanted to let you know these are decent places, in case that's where they put you up, and are usually pet friendly, if that matters.

Old 01-22-2014, 05:23 PM

926 posts, read 978,405 times
Congrats, your hubby should be proud of one of the most technologically fwd looking company. think little bit out of box, myself made huge amount on couple of stock including tesla last year in 2013, however it was risky investment. Tesla is poised to do well next few year so your husband should try get espp and/or rsu plan it could potentially return massive investment in a risk free manner. I think it can easily outstrip the salary disadvantage compared to other less stellar performing companies.

https://www.google.com/finance?q=NAS...Usj_IYjliALyDA

I pass tesla plant in fremont during my commute, however assuming your hb work location in mountain view i believe where the hq is located. west side of lake tend to be more expensive. I'd recomment fremont. however expect 5$ daily toll bridge or more detour 237 commute with morning and evening backlogs.
Thanks,

Last edited by ggcd951; 01-22-2014 at 05:38 PM..

Old 01-22-2014, 05:38 PM

115 posts, read 337,067 times
I think it really depends on the type of position you're husband is looking at. I'm not sure if a "regular" mechanic (nothing bad about that) would get stock options at Tesla, but for an engineering position I'm sure they would offer them. Compensation-wise that might make a big difference compared to Ford for example.

Old 01-22-2014, 06:50 PM

926 posts, read 978,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby_guz_man View Post
To me, I would only work for 3 other companies in the Bay, besides the current one I'm working for. That would be Google, Samsung, and Tesla. All three companies are "exciting" places that build REAL things, and all three are already "movers and shakers" in the world.
Not sure of what I heard.
There are many movers and shakers companies in the SV, not just these three.
Besides Samsung is just a lucky company (not innovative) profited from android and controversial patented idea from Apple.
I am not a big fun of google either. All they do is advertisement. gmail is becoming increasingly complicated to use and youtube is infested with video ads. I'd prefer microsoft.

There are many companies much better than these two.

Old 01-22-2014, 11:46 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,348,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guyencd000 View Post
I pass tesla plant in fremont during my commute, however assuming your hb work location in mountain view i believe where the hq is located. west side of lake tend to be more expensive. I'd recomment fremont. however expect 5$ daily toll bridge or more detour 237 commute with morning and evening backlogs.
Thanks,
Just a clarification on the Tesla Motors facilities. Their headquarters is in Palo Alto - near HP, VMware, and SAP Labs, in the Stanford Industrial Park area. The manufacturing facility is in Fremont (former GM/Toyota joint venture NUMMI factory). Depending on your work function, you may find yourself shuttling between these two facilities.

While it may be more expensive for housing to be on the west side of the Bay, the commute direction is much more favorable. I live in Palo Alto and used to work in Fremont/Newark area - it takes me 20-25 minutes to get to most locations there either via 84 (Dumbarton Bridge) or 237/880. If I live in Fremont and work in Palo Alto, Mountain View, my commute time can double.

Old 01-23-2014, 12:25 PM

1,696 posts, read 2,859,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
Just a clarification on the Tesla Motors facilities. Their headquarters is in Palo Alto - near HP, VMware, and SAP Labs, in the Stanford Industrial Park area. The manufacturing facility is in Fremont (former GM/Toyota joint venture NUMMI factory). Depending on your work function, you may find yourself shuttling between these two facilities.

While it may be more expensive for housing to be on the west side of the Bay, the commute direction is much more favorable. I live in Palo Alto and used to work in Fremont/Newark area - it takes me 20-25 minutes to get to most locations there either via 84 (Dumbarton Bridge) or 237/880. If I live in Fremont and work in Palo Alto, Mountain View, my commute time can double.
Props! Totally forgotten that Tesla has TWO locations in the Bay. OP, you're gonna have to check with kris's advice regarding the locations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose