Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2014, 05:43 PM

25 posts, read 38,118 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,

I was selected for DV2014 and right now I am after the whole process (holding a GC) I have a degree in Computer Science and 3 years of programming experience in my origin country.
I am planning to permanently move to the bay area in a few months, but afraid of the unknown...

How is the job market there at this time? How would you estimate my chances of quickly finding a software development job? I am highly motivated, but immigration is a big step and I obviously I have concerns.

I am planning to start the job search remotely, but I am not so optimistic it will work.
How can I find a temporary and cheap housing solution until I find a job?
I have seen on Craigslist rooms for rent for a short lease, in what areas would you recommend me to look (close to public transportation, not expensive)?

Also, I have heard a lot about the crazy cost of living in the bay area, and that scares me a bit... How is it expressed (I am 28yr and single)?, I have read here that renting 1 room apt would cost 1K that sounds really high.
What range of salaries should I expect?

Help and guidance would be greatly appreciated,
Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2014, 07:19 PM

1,963 posts, read 3,044,110 times
It is very expensive to live here.

Old 05-09-2014, 07:37 PM

23,537 posts, read 24,029,400 times
2K is probably closer to the average rent for a 1 bedroom apartment. The job market is good for software engineers, though.

Old 05-10-2014, 01:06 AM

240 posts, read 478,322 times
1 bedroom apt isn't the same as 1 room apt, which more likely means a studio, or can also mean a bedroom in a subleased multi-room apt. Either one can be found for $1,300.

Old 05-10-2014, 05:43 AM

283 posts, read 426,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by morpheus1234 View Post
Hello everyone,

I was selected for DV2014 and right now I am after the whole process (holding a GC) I have a degree in Computer Science and 3 years of programming experience in my origin country.
I am planning to permanently move to the bay area in a few months, but afraid of the unknown...

How is the job market there at this time? How would you estimate my chances of quickly finding a software development job? I am highly motivated, but immigration is a big step and I obviously I have concerns.

I am planning to start the job search remotely, but I am not so optimistic it will work.
How can I find a temporary and cheap housing solution until I find a job?
I have seen on Craigslist rooms for rent for a short lease, in what areas would you recommend me to look (close to public transportation, not expensive)?

Also, I have heard a lot about the crazy cost of living in the bay area, and that scares me a bit... How is it expressed (I am 28yr and single)?, I have read here that renting 1 room apt would cost 1K that sounds really high.
What range of salaries should I expect?

Help and guidance would be greatly appreciated,
Thank you!

Hi I was in similar position like You just DV2012.

San Jose is great but its hard for start. You will be able to find some "contract" job easily. I started with $32/Hr then 35, 42 and year after I was hired as Full time employee with 180,000 in total. (base salary + stocks). Its really hard to find 100% remote job.

This area is very hard for start. I spent about $35,000 until I found first job. (it was two of us).
Anyway I have to say it was great move and I would do it all over again.

No one will rent you apartment because you have no credit history or job (we where in same situation) so you will need to go in hotel or since you are singe you might find room. (that would cost about $1,000). Good thing is that you can negotiate with hotels for lower rate. It was $2,500 for month and we stayed in for about 3 months. Car will be big issue too. Either you will have to burn some money for car or just go as we did with public transportation and then just rent car (when you find first job or interview). You have to be close to San Jose Airport because most rentals are there. (Fox Rent a car is cheaper option for long term about $800 per month). You don't need full month instantly but in time you will need it.

So it was extremely hard but I am all for it. It will be nice after a year or two. Job market is much stronger now then 2012/2013. So you might get lucky and find job instantly. Just bring as much $$ as you can. Borrow if you need to you will pay off later.

Old 05-10-2014, 10:52 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,505,733 times
What country are you coming from? Google for community/clubs/meetups, etc., for your country's immigrants. You may be able to find a room to rent that way, as well as make friends and network quickly.

For instance, there are a lot of Indian resources/groups in Silicon Valley:

Welcome to SIPA

Silicon Valley Indian Professionals Association (SIPA) (San Jose, CA) - Meetup

ICC: Unite. Serve. Celebrate. | Indiacc Home

This is just an example. If you are Chinese, for instance, just google "Chinese Community Silicon Valley" or "Chinese professionals meetups," etc.

Old 05-11-2014, 12:10 AM

25 posts, read 38,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teoreticar View Post
Hi I was in similar position like You just DV2012.

San Jose is great but its hard for start. You will be able to find some "contract" job easily. I started with $32/Hr then 35, 42 and year after I was hired as Full time employee with 180,000 in total. (base salary + stocks). Its really hard to find 100% remote job.

This area is very hard for start. I spent about $35,000 until I found first job. (it was two of us).
Anyway I have to say it was great move and I would do it all over again.

No one will rent you apartment because you have no credit history or job (we where in same situation) so you will need to go in hotel or since you are singe you might find room. (that would cost about $1,000). Good thing is that you can negotiate with hotels for lower rate. It was $2,500 for month and we stayed in for about 3 months. Car will be big issue too. Either you will have to burn some money for car or just go as we did with public transportation and then just rent car (when you find first job or interview). You have to be close to San Jose Airport because most rentals are there. (Fox Rent a car is cheaper option for long term about $800 per month). You don't need full month instantly but in time you will need it.

So it was extremely hard but I am all for it. It will be nice after a year or two. Job market is much stronger now then 2012/2013. So you might get lucky and find job instantly. Just bring as much $$ as you can. Borrow if you need to you will pay off later.
Thank you for the reply, I'm glad everything worked out for you!

I have few questions about your answer(to you and everyone else):
1. There is whole category in Craigslist: housing:temp/sublet with prices much lower than 1K for 1 room (shared bathroom):
https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/sub/4450763606.html
https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/sub/4455316257.html
https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/sub/4452892000.html
https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/sub/4456680891.html
https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/sub/4454237244.html

that's what I came with after 5 mins search.
Regarding that I dont have credit history/job yet - say the temp/sublet is for 3 months - so I'll pay the whole sum in advance+deposit, where is the problem here? why would anyone care about my credit history in that case?

2. 180K salary is great. can I ask what was your profile when you got it? years of experience, field of expertise, education?

3. Is there a lot of contract jobs in software development in the valley? Why would a company hire a developer for a short term? It takes time until he is familiar with the product/project and can show real results...

Thanks again!

Old 05-11-2014, 08:42 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,505,733 times
Quote:
Regarding that I dont have credit history/job yet - say the temp/sublet is for 3 months - so I'll pay the whole sum in advance+deposit, where is the problem here? why would anyone care about my credit history in that case?
You may not have a problem if you can pay cash up front. People can be nervous about renting to a stranger, and they often want to be able to check them out. A credit report can give you an indication of what kind of person you are. Are you someone who pays your bills? Have you been sued because you haven't paid your bills? Were you sued by a former landlord? Have you file bankruptcy?

Also, may people also pay for eviction reports and criminal reports, so they can see if you have ever been convicted of a crime or if you have been evicted from a previous rental.

Some people are afraid to rent to people who have no history they can check out in the US. And if you don't already have a job offer (which would show that you are a responsible, employable person) and you are not a current student (which shows that you are responsible) and both of those situations makes you the kind of person who is not going to want to jeopardize their current situations, by getting in trouble with the law, etc.

If you have none of the above, a landlord will be taking a greater risk by renting to you. For all a landlord will know, you have fled your country because you are a criminal or something.

So, it would behoove you to be able to provide some information that will put them at ease. Perhaps your graduation information - copy of your degree? And this is why I was thinking you may have better luck with people in an organization comprised of immigrants from your country. They will know what it means when you say you graduated from such and such university, and that your family is from such and such town, etc. This will mean more to them, than an American who knows nothing of where you came from or has never heard of the university you attended.

I hope that made sense. Worst case scenario, you can always rent from an Extended Stay Hotel, I believe. There is one in Alviso (just north of San Jose) and the next closest one is in Fremont. I stayed in both of them when I first moved to Santa Clara about 10 years ago. Both were nice. Fremont was cheaper at the time.

At the Extended Stay Hotels, or any hotels, they are cheaper the longer you stay. The taxes for short term stays are very high. For longer stays, the taxes go way down.

http://www.extendedstayamerica.com/hotels/ca/alviso

Old 05-11-2014, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Thank you for the reply, I'm glad everything worked out for you!

I have few questions about your answer(to you and everyone else):
1. There is whole category in Craigslist: housing:temp/sublet with prices much lower than 1K for 1 room (shared bathroom):
https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/sub/4450763606.html
https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/sub/4455316257.html
https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/sub/4452892000.html
https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/sub/4456680891.html
https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/sub/4454237244.html

that's what I came with after 5 mins search.
I tried that. No one wanted to take all cash in advance . I offer them to pay a year in advanced and no one wanted to accept. They even mention its against law to take 12 months in advance. (They do have standard California lease agreement) all lease contracts are same for all properties. LOL.

Regards those ad. Most of those ad are fake or in really bad area. Trust me. Its not that easy.

Quote:
2. 180K salary is great. can I ask what was your profile when you got it? years of experience, field of expertise, education?
Master of Science but only real experience was in US.

Quote:
3. Is there a lot of contract jobs in software development in the valley? Why would a company hire a developer for a short term? It takes time until he is familiar with the product/project and can show real results...
Its not short terms they just call those things "contracts" and can last for years. They hire you as FTE only if you are really good.

I hope You can make it. ;-)

Old 05-11-2014, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post

I hope that made sense. Worst case scenario, you can always rent from an Extended Stay Hotel, I believe. There is one in Alviso (just north of San Jose) and the next closest one is in Fremont. I stayed in both of them when I first moved to Santa Clara about 10 years ago. Both were nice. Fremont was cheaper at the time.

At the Extended Stay Hotels, or any hotels, they are cheaper the longer you stay. The taxes for short term stays are very high. For longer stays, the taxes go way down.
hehe I stayed in Extended Stay Hotel as well for 3 months! This one North of San Jose.
There is tax return if you stay longer then 1 month at hotel
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose