Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-31-2014, 03:05 PM

24 posts, read 30,590 times

Advertisements

I bought the house a few months ago and did fumigation before moved in. There is a piece of cut tree trunk in the back yard and I found subterranean termite in it and the ground under it.
I have removed the tree trunk from the spot and plan to throw it away. (is there any better way?) and I plan to set up a fire on this spot to burn any remaining termite under the ground.
I hesitate to use Termidor SC or any termiticide to the ground as I want to plant trees there later.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2014, 04:47 PM

158 posts, read 358,592 times
I'm pretty sure there are other termite poisons that don't kill plant life. In fact, most of them should not kill plants. I know one of the types they use is based off orange oil.

At any rate, I'm sure any competent termite company can help out. I used a company called Thrasher when I moved into my old house, and they did a good job; didn't see any termites in the 4 years after that up until I sold.

I think burning the surface might not yield any results, because termites live in the soil. You have to drill holes and poison down there. Yeah, call a pro...

Old 04-01-2014, 12:51 AM

13,212 posts, read 21,818,531 times
Welcome to the Valley of Hearts Delight. San Jose is pretty much one big termite mound due to being mostly orchards at one time I'm told. If there's untreated wood in the ground, the termites will devour it. That includes Redwood, btw. You will never rid them from the ground, so don't waste your time and money. Just keep wood away from ground contact, especially against your home.

Old 04-01-2014, 10:38 AM

6,957 posts, read 22,302,067 times
Termidor isn't going to do anything to the tree or future trees. I also doubt whether burning is going to be allowed in your area.

Plus what kdog says.

Old 04-15-2014, 12:30 PM

24 posts, read 30,590 times
Thank you all!!!

Old 04-15-2014, 10:57 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,480,254 times
Don't be starting a fire in your backyard, lol! You'll get a ticket at least, and you don't want a fire under the ground, only to come up under your house :-)

Call a pro. Or would you rather gamble on termite damage to the house?

Hmmm, calling the pro will be cheaper.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose