Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2014, 09:14 AM

140 posts, read 239,601 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I'm just starting to look for my first home (have been renting in Sunnyvale). It's going to be tough as we want to keep under 600k. This probably restricts to townhouses/condos as I'm set on a safe, nicer area.

Recently my wife and I ventured up to Communications Hill on one of our urban explorations. I've read that there's big plans for the area - more housing and eventually neighborhoody retail/restaurant, perhaps like Evergreen village.

At any rate I don't know anyone who lives there. Can anyone comment on what it's like to live there? (I've also read crime stats but you cannot pinpoint that specific).

The surrounding area (bordering Fairgrounds) seems just so so. Not that anywhere in SJ is unsafe but I want to live somewhere I'd feel comfortable going to Safeway or a restaurant at night.

Thanks very much! Oh, and other ideas on areas to consider are welcome. My dream locations are Cupertino or Willow Glen but probably priced out.

Todd
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2014, 09:54 AM

1,696 posts, read 2,860,377 times
I used to live underneath Communications Hill, and I can tell you that the area right beneath Comm Hills is as safe as any area out there. To the west of Comm Hills is the rather prestigious Willow Glen neighborhood, to its south is the Thousand Oaks/Capitol Auto Mall area, and that area is also very safe and nice as well. Comm Hill does not have access to its east and north, so you don't have to worry about that.

For what it's worth, look into asbestos issues on Comm Hill. There were some brouhaha made about it, something about Comm Hill being on top of large asbestos deposits. I don't know how much of it is true, so make sure you do some researches into it, or ask your agent about it.

Other than that, Comm Hill is one of my favorite areas due to the affordable prices, the safety of the surrounding area, its iconic "stairway to Heaven", and the VIEWS to the south is amazing!

If you're going to buy, I'd suggest buying now. I foresee a large jump in prices once the new housing gets built (something on the vicinity of 2200 units, which would be close to 3X what is currently there). Add in restaurants/amenities on the hill itself, and a connector bridge to Cherry Hill (and by extension a 2nd access to 87 and immediate access to the Plant plaza) and it will be literally a "city on a hill". It will certainly get even more popular than it is now, especially once views to the north (towards Downtown) is available for public access.

The housing addition will be one of the most ambitious and most spectacular housing projects in San Jose. Once done, I foresee Comm Hill becoming just as iconic as the Rose Garden neighborhood of San Jose.

And with iconic and prestige will come a large jump in prices. For the 360-degree view of the entirety of San Jose atop the hill, it will be all worth it!

Old 05-27-2014, 06:19 PM

140 posts, read 239,601 times
This makes my day. I thought I was up on San Jose redevelopment but hadn't read about development plans for the adjacent hill. I know the Plant (well have visited once!) but assumed was a stretch to walk from Comm Hill (or at least not the most pedestrian-friendly walk).

Yes, the views, stairway are amazing. I have only visited during the day, I can only imagine what it's like at night. I was impressed how clean and quiet the community seemed. It seems to be a hidden treasure - even among locals. When I used to write a blog about SJ redevelopment and neighborhoods in the late 90s it wasn't even on the radar.

I agree prices are going up fast. Two (550k) homes on Zillow have increased by 80k in 2 years.

Old 05-27-2014, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorvitz View Post
This makes my day. I thought I was up on San Jose redevelopment but hadn't read about development plans for the adjacent hill. I know the Plant (well have visited once!) but assumed was a stretch to walk from Comm Hill (or at least not the most pedestrian-friendly walk).

Yes, the views, stairway are amazing. I have only visited during the day, I can only imagine what it's like at night. I was impressed how clean and quiet the community seemed. It seems to be a hidden treasure - even among locals. When I used to write a blog about SJ redevelopment and neighborhoods in the late 90s it wasn't even on the radar.

I agree prices are going up fast. Two (550k) homes on Zillow have increased by 80k in 2 years.
Comm Hill is pretty recent. The section right up at the hill were built before 2000 but I'm sure that the top part of Comm Hill was built after 2000, or at least extremely close to the end of the 90's. For sure it was built after 1996 because that's when I moved to the area, and when I first got there it was all grasses up there, all you could see were miles and miles of cows and horses

Right now Comm Hill does not have access to the Plant because it's separated from Cherry Hill by a little valley whose bottom holds the Caltrain track. Once the connector bridge is built to Cherry Hill, you can then walk into Cherry Hill (which is another housing complex by itself) and make your way down Cherry Hill and to the Plant.

Besides downtown, this is the project I'm most looking forward to see the results of. Looking at more than 3000 units of housing up and down the hill, and you're basically talking about 10,000 people living on top of that hill. It's pretty urban-ish right now but once the new housing is added it's going to be bursting with life! Wife and I attempted to see if we could get a place up there but ultimately the wife is adamant on the suburban lifestyle down the hill

In the evening time, it gets really crowded around the stairs due to folks running/jogging/walking, so you may want to stay away from the homes right by the stairs. Sometimes it looks like a festival there, I kid you not.

I like the little hillside plaza by Viera Park more, really quiet place and the open space and views to the south is just amazing.

Old 05-30-2014, 05:21 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,839,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby_guz_man View Post

Looking at more than 3000 units of housing up and down the hill, and you're basically talking about 10,000 people living on top of that hill. It's pretty urban-ish right now but once the new housing is added it's going to be bursting with life!
Hwy 87 (and Curtner) will likely be bursting with traffic.

Old 06-04-2014, 09:57 PM

865 posts, read 1,827,478 times
It has a nice view, depends upon where you commute to in the AM. It can be UGLY from out there.

I have family in the area and they like it, but they are retired so that is an entirely different ball game, and take streets if they ever go anywhere during rush hour. LOL.

Old 06-05-2014, 02:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdumbgod View Post
Hwy 87 (and Curtner) will likely be bursting with traffic.
It already is. The Capitol and Curtner entrances are mad houses in the morning. I usually just take Almaden Avenue into my Downtown office on days when I do drive.

A little bit more traffic isn't going to make it any worst than it already is.

Old 06-05-2014, 09:58 AM

158 posts, read 358,673 times
I house hunted on Communications hill back in 2010. It was nice and super new, but I found the price to be high and I didn't want to be smushed up against other units and basically without a yard.

It sounds like they've re-kindled the development plans then, eh? I was told by my realtor that they had plans for a second half with a fire station, school and shops, but it got delayed or scrapped. I'm skeptical about anything larger than boutique shops or little cafes there, as I don't picture too many people in the area below the hill driving up... but what do I know.

I used to live southeast of communications hill and now I live northwest of it. Having lived in both areas, the area east/south of the hill isn't so great. The Monterey corridor, senter rd, seven trees - not so great. The Plant (shopping center at Curtner/Monterey) is in a strange junction of the two areas, and as you go along Curtner, up by 87 is some kind of halfway house or section 8 housing or something, and also the Second Harvest nonprofit/charity... ends up being quite a few transients loitering around there at all hours. Also, I think Comm. Hill itself falls into mediocre school districts, last I checked. I don't think they re-do school districts that often, but I suspect it will forever be in a district with the surrounding areas.

Sorry, I don't mean to be entirely negative. Just want people to be aware of certain aspects. Up on the hill, it's pretty nice and clean. Great views if you have a window facing the right direction. Seems like a great place to live if you're single with enough money to buy there. I'm personally always going to The Plant for shopping (esp. Home Depot and Target). And being up on the hill, I think it's far enough out of reach of a lot of the negative aspects I mentioned. Reasonably close access to the freeways via 87 is a plus.

Old 06-06-2014, 12:26 AM

7,688 posts, read 29,149,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby_guz_man View Post
It already is. The Capitol and Curtner entrances are mad houses in the morning. I usually just take Almaden Avenue into my Downtown office on days when I do drive.

A little bit more traffic isn't going to make it any worst than it already is.
I take Almaden Expressway and 87 every day. Hope you like really long waits at the metering lights.

Old 06-06-2014, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonarrat View Post
I take Almaden Expressway and 87 every day. Hope you like really long waits at the metering lights.
If you don't jump on the lane to get into 87, Almaden going into downtown is pretty smooth. If you have to jump on 87, I agree it will be a necessary pain.

That's why I switched over to lightrail 2 years ago and only drive to the office once a week
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose