Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2014, 06:00 AM

21,741 posts, read 16,361,136 times

Advertisements

Things are all abuzz at the SJ police force public relations office today.

"Duty to kill you"; cop suspended for threat to protesters - CBS News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2014, 09:21 AM

2,483 posts, read 4,373,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
Things are all abuzz at the SJ police force public relations office today.

"Duty to kill you"; cop suspended for threat to protesters - CBS News
It's quoted out of context, he said... "Threaten me or my family and I will use my God given and law appointed right and duty to kill you."

Which is different than just him saying he has a duty to kill you. It's still technically not true -- police have a duty to protect the citizens and avoid killing whenever possible, and it's in bad taste anyways. But if people didn't bias their stances with misinformation like that the flames would not be nearly as hot on either side.

Old 12-17-2014, 09:41 AM

6,421 posts, read 7,671,669 times
Well said Otterprods!

...and if you listen to the rap lyrics what the officer said is nothing. Who isn't offended by that rap those thungs love to sing about, such as killing whites and peace officers. Some need to clean up their own mouth before they worry about another's.

If people can't respect or laws, then they need to live some place where their hate, riots, and violence is accepted and the government will support them cradle to grave. Hopefully, the next President will have leadership skills and stop fanning the flames for their own personal agenda.

Old 12-17-2014, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by otterprods View Post
It's quoted out of context, he said... "Threaten me or my family and I will use my God given and law appointed right and duty to kill you."

Which is different than just him saying he has a duty to kill you. It's still technically not true -- police have a duty to protect the citizens and avoid killing whenever possible, and it's in bad taste anyways. But if people didn't bias their stances with misinformation like that the flames would not be nearly as hot on either side.
Ummm, no. There is no appropriate expanded context for such a statement. A cop has NO duty to kill. They have a duty to protect. It is neither a "God given", nor "law appointed" directive, in any sane interpretation.

This is an egregious example of a mentally deranged cop who should not be carrying a badge and gun.

Old 12-17-2014, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heidi60 View Post
Well said Otterprods!

...and if you listen to the rap lyrics what the officer said is nothing. Who isn't offended by that rap those thungs love to sing about, such as killing whites and peace officers. Some need to clean up their own mouth before they worry about another's.

If people can't respect or laws, then they need to live some place where their hate, riots, and violence is accepted and the government will support them cradle to grave. Hopefully, the next President will have leadership skills and stop fanning the flames for their own personal agenda.
What "thugs" say and do wrong lends no justification for law enforcement to be thugs in turn. It is the very antithesis of civilization to devolve into lawlessness at both ends of the spectrum.

Old 12-17-2014, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Ummm, no. There is no appropriate expanded context for such a statement. A cop has NO duty to kill. They have a duty to protect. It is neither a "God given", nor "law appointed" directive, in any sane interpretation.
Correct. That's in harmony with what I said. I think you misread me.
Quote:
This is an egregious example of a mentally deranged cop who should not be carrying a badge and gun.
The force already suspended him and publicly condemned his words. What more do you want? Fire him for good? Put him in jail? Kill him? Attack his family? ...Do you see where that sort of anger-fueled thinking leads? (I'm not saying you were actually wanting those things, just illustrating a pattern)

My guess is that you think the suspension was not enough and he should be banned from police work for good because you feel that he is a danger to society. If so, I can't definitively state that you're wrong, but... The cop said something really stupid. Have you ever done that? (I have) Did you think you should have been immediately and irrevocably blacklisted for it? You probably would have been more sympathetic toward yourself, right?

Now if the cop comes back and re-asserts what he said, insisting that the does have a right and a duty to kill people whenever they seem like any kind of threat, then yes, he should face the strictest possible penalties. Otherwise, it seems better to let it go because escalating it just fans the flame of hatred even more, which is the last thing the world needs right now.

Quote:
What "thugs" say and do wrong lends no justification for law enforcement to be thugs in turn. It is the very antithesis of civilization to devolve into lawlessness at both ends of the spectrum.
I agree with this 100%. It's pretty much the same as the point I was making... put simply: two wrongs don't make a right. And I also believe that the punishment should fit the crime.

Last edited by otterprods; 12-17-2014 at 10:22 AM..

Old 12-17-2014, 10:15 AM

1,696 posts, read 2,861,956 times
It will be interesting to see how Liccardo deals with this, at least publicly.

Old 12-17-2014, 10:16 AM

9,197 posts, read 16,847,416 times
Quote:

Good ol' ISIS shooters keep saying they are carrying out their "duty" to their God as well. Always a most convenient justification for mayhem, yes?

Old 12-17-2014, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by otterprods View Post
Correct. That's in harmony with what I said. I think you misread me.

The force already suspended him and publicly condemned his words. What more do you want? Fire him for good? Put him in jail? Kill him? Attack his family? ...Do you see where that sort of anger-fueled thinking leads? (I'm not saying you were actually wanting those things, just illustrating a pattern)

My guess is that you think the suspension was not enough and he should be banned from police work for good because you feel that he is a danger to society. If so, I can't definitively state that you're wrong, but... The cop said something really stupid. Have you ever done that? (I have) Did you think you should have been immediately and irrevocably blacklisted for it? You probably would have been more sympathetic toward yourself, right?

Now if the cop comes back and re-asserts what he said, insisting that the does have a right and a duty to kill people whenever they seem like any kind of threat, then yes, he should face the strictest possible penalties. Otherwise, it seems better to let it go because escalating it just fans the flame of hatred even more, which is the last thing the world needs right now.

I agree with this 100%. It's pretty much the same as the point I was making... put simply: two wrongs don't make a right. And I also believe that the punishment should fit the crime.
There is no "anger-fueled" thinking on my part. And yes, you are correct, I think he should be permanently "retired" and blacklisted from police work - and any other work where he carries a gun and wields power over the public.

As for saying stupid things: there is a considerable quantum leap of responsibility that goes with watching your mouth when you are in public service - and a quantum leap further with regard to pistol-packing cops making the ultimate threat against the public they are entrusted to serve - especially when they wrongly invoke not only the power of the law, but the power of the heavens itself. This is not equivalent to remarking that your co-worker is wearing socks that clash with their shoes.

Extraordinary. This kind of display and revelation is exactly what people are in an uproar about across the nation.

Old 12-17-2014, 10:57 AM

Quote:
There is no "anger-fueled" thinking on my part. And yes, you are correct, I think he should be permanently "retired" and blacklisted from police work - and any other work where he carries a gun and wields power over the public.

As for saying stupid things: there is a considerable quantum leap of responsibility that goes with watching your mouth when you are in public service - and a quantum leap further with regard to pistol-packing cops making the ultimate threat against the public they are entrusted to serve - especially when they wrongly invoke not only the power of the law, but the power of the heavens itself. This is not equivalent to remarking that your co-worker is wearing socks that clash with their shoes.
I mostly agree with you. The only difference seems to be that I think the fair thing to do is give it some time, find out how he really thinks, and then make an appropriate decision and stand by it regardless of public opinion.
Quote:
Extraordinary. This kind of display and revelation is exactly what people are in an uproar about across the nation.
True. It gets really emotional and people are looking for a scapegoat. Here's a perfectly villainous witch for the boiling pot. But does that make things right and safe again?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose