Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2014, 11:17 AM

1 posts, read 3,562 times

Advertisements

Moved to south of Great mall earlier this year. Only experienced the odor couple of days in months. But lately it smells almost every day... Is this a bad time of year? I thought summer should be the worst...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2014, 11:50 AM

2,406 posts, read 6,036,677 times
I've been noticing it a lot lately as well when I've been in the area. There are many contributing factors that tend to intensify the odor, so it's hard to say what it is. Typically warm weather is when it's the worst. I like Milpitas, but typically recommend that people live farther east of I-880 if they want to avoid the infamous odor. Most parts of Milpitas aren't affected by the small, but the closer you are to I-880, the worse it is.

Old 10-23-2014, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vrhunski View Post
oh yea. Way too many Albanian people live there.
OK.

Old 10-23-2014, 02:55 PM

7,688 posts, read 29,143,792 times
I lived in Milpitas for a couple years right off of Piedmont Road, at the foothills. Not only did it smell fine over there, but it was actually refreshing because we bordered rolling meadowlands. When I drove through on Calaveras/237 to my job in Mountain View and later north San Jose, that was where I noticed the smell as I drove by the landfill.

Old 10-24-2014, 10:30 PM

68 posts, read 81,411 times
I've been living in Central Milpitas for nearly 7 years. Summer is usually the most consistently worst smell, depending where the breeze is blowing. I think since theres been dew from the cold mornings and then these past few weeks have had unusually warm days, the evaporating dew smells a bit more. Mostly otherwise tolerable since I'm east of Milpitas Blvd

Old 11-04-2014, 11:27 AM

55 posts, read 83,614 times
Milpitas literally is the garbage dump for the south bay. Why would anyone expect that it would not smell bad?

Old 11-04-2014, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duffdog View Post
Milpitas literally is the garbage dump for the south bay. Why would anyone expect that it would not smell bad?
The dump is way at the far west end of Dixon Landing Rd. Most parts of Milpitas don't even get the odor.

Old 11-11-2014, 11:33 AM

1 posts, read 3,248 times
Hi all,

Apologies for hijacking the thread, but I am looking to buy a house which is right to the west of N Milpitas Blvd, between E Calaveras Blvd and N Abel st. (I think there is a small lake near there?). The house is closer to N Milpitas Blvd, rather than Abel St, and I was wondering if the smell would be really bad in this area?

Some people have told me if you live in the area, you eventually get used to the smell, is that true? Is the smell so bad that it would seriously affect the quality of living?

Any insights would be much appreciated!

Old 11-11-2014, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerelis View Post
Hi all,

Apologies for hijacking the thread, but I am looking to buy a house which is right to the west of N Milpitas Blvd, between E Calaveras Blvd and N Abel st. (I think there is a small lake near there?). The house is closer to N Milpitas Blvd, rather than Abel St, and I was wondering if the smell would be really bad in this area?

Some people have told me if you live in the area, you eventually get used to the smell, is that true? Is the smell so bad that it would seriously affect the quality of living?

Any insights would be much appreciated!
That's a nice area. The smell doesn't typically reach that far, but does at times. The infamous Milpitas odor is dramatically overstated on this forum. The neighborhoods directly adjacent to Dixon Landing Rd./I-880 are by far the worst parts of Milpitas when it comes to the dump smell.

Old 11-11-2014, 03:14 PM

134 posts, read 254,931 times
Things are not looking good. The landfill company is going to double its capacity soon. And Milpitas city officials are giving the same excuse as the landfill company. I will not buy in Milpitas, but the area east of 680 (Park Victoria) is ok.

Read this fully before making a decision to buy: Milpitas council seeks outside litigator to curb landfill odors - San Jose Mercury News
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose