Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-05-2008, 04:39 AM

373 posts, read 1,170,661 times

Advertisements

I am thinking of moving to downtown SJ and was wondering if the area is walkable/bikeable? Also, is it easy to find organic produce in that area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2008, 09:51 AM

1,632 posts, read 6,842,175 times
I lived in a newly constructed downtown condo (2nd Street) from 1996-2003, and I really liked it there. I've visited many times since, and in general, downtown still seems like a remarkable safe, walkable area, especially considering San Jose's size.

I would walk to the indie Camera Cinemas, lots of restaurants, HP Pavilion, etc., day and evening. The new library is a great downtown addition that wasn't in place when I lived there. The many people who have moved into newly developed condos, apartments, lofts and townhouses, along with the historic homes found just outside the downtown core, have created a nice sense of community. It's nowhere near as exciting as San Francisco, but I would certainly recommend downtown SJ for someone interested in an urban lifestyle.

Not sure how bikeable the area is (I didn't have a bike). And I don't know much about organic produce, although there is definitely a downtown, certified Farmers' Market (in San Pedro Square, I think) each spring/summer.

Old 01-06-2008, 12:04 AM

373 posts, read 1,170,661 times
Hey, thanks for the info! I am now excited about checking out downtown SJ. I was considering on moving to SF, but the crime there is a bit too much for me. Although SF has tons of restaurants, bars, museums, etc, I think it's more stuff than I really need. I just need to be withing walking distance to a decent library and a few places where I can get some organic food, and I will be happy.

By the way, isn't there some art galleries open late on 3rd Thursdays? I can't find much info on that event. Have you ever attend that event? What about Santana Row? Is that a yuppie and gentrified Disneyland? Any other info would be appreciated. Thanks for the response.

Old 01-06-2008, 11:10 AM

4 posts, read 18,616 times
Default Condos in downtwon

How did you go about finding condos for rent in downtown? I would love to live there but am unsure the best way to find a great place. Let me know. Thanks!!!

Old 01-07-2008, 10:18 PM

30,895 posts, read 36,943,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jzt83 View Post
Hey, thanks for the info! I am now excited about checking out downtown SJ. I was considering on moving to SF, but the crime there is a bit too much for me. Although SF has tons of restaurants, bars, museums, etc, I think it's more stuff than I really need. I just need to be withing walking distance to a decent library and a few places where I can get some organic food, and I will be happy.

By the way, isn't there some art galleries open late on 3rd Thursdays? I can't find much info on that event. Have you ever attend that event? What about Santana Row? Is that a yuppie and gentrified Disneyland? Any other info would be appreciated. Thanks for the response.
I work in downtown San Jose at the library. We have a very large library downtown at 4th and San Fernando streets on San Jose State U's campus. It is a combined university/public library and you can check out the university's books even if you are not a student.

Downtown is quite walkable and they do have farmers' markets (I admit I never go to them). Downtown also has an upscale grocery store (Zanottos). I assume they sell organic produce there.

"Yuppie and gentrified Disneyland" is a PERFECT description of Santana Row. It's pleasant but quite sterile, and the traffic around it is awful (It's right across the street from a major mall). The parking can also be difficult. If you lived downtown, it wouldn't be that difficult to take the bus there.

San Jose has a small, but nice art museum.

San Jose Museum of Art

Old 01-08-2008, 09:41 AM

141 posts, read 534,707 times
The peculiar thing about downtown SJ compared to SF, for example, is that it's a place where people go to work during the day and then leave in the evening. It is not a bustling vibe on any given night. Fri and Sat nights get busy from young adults, mostly Hispanic and Asian, from outside of downtown filling in the bars and nightclubs. Sun thru Thurs night is pretty much desolate. One would think SJSU nearby would change that but it hasn't for decades - it's mostly a commuter school. I think things have changed slightly in the last 10 years but not by much. The city council wants so much for SJ to be more SF like but it just doesn't happen.

Old 01-08-2008, 10:07 AM

5,717 posts, read 16,344,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moovin View Post
The city council wants so much for SJ to be more SF like but it just doesn't happen.
And you know this how?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose