Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2015, 03:24 PM

4 posts, read 7,673 times

Advertisements

We are a British-Chinese-Middle Eastern-Swiss-Indian couple with a baby and looking to buy a house or town home in the Peninsula/South Bay. My husband is going to go to Stanford end of this year. Based on your knowledge and experience what are some of the best places along with good school districts for a mixed inter-racial couple to live in the Peninsula/South Bay? We are looking to buy a minimum 3 bedroom/2 bathroom with some yard pace.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2015, 03:41 PM

1,318 posts, read 3,555,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by -_-404notfound-_- View Post
We are a British-Chinese-Middle Eastern-Swiss-Indian couple with a baby and looking to buy a house or town home in the Peninsula/South Bay. My husband is going to go to Stanford end of this year. Based on your knowledge and experience what are some of the best places along with good school districts for a mixed inter-racial couple to live in the Peninsula/South Bay? We are looking to buy a minimum 3 bedroom/2 bathroom with some yard pace.
Do you have a budget in mind, or should I suggest without a budget.

I guess of the top of my head I can say that the South Bay is significantly more diverse than the peninsula. But even Palo Alto is only 60% White non-Hispanic, so the peninsula is does not lack diversity. So based on school districts I would say Palo Alto, and Cupertino. You should probably budget about $1.8M for Palo Alto, and $1M for Cupertino if you're looking to buy, I'm assuming you're okay buying a 1950s-1970s house that hasn't been upgraded in a while [You can upgrade things later]

Old 02-12-2015, 04:01 PM

4 posts, read 7,673 times
Thank you so much Cardinal for your response. Our budget is $1.5M. However, our biggest challenge is finding a highly diverse neighbourhood. We have short-term rented at 3 different places so far to check how we will feel about the neighborhood - San Francisco (no good schools although the diversity and tolerance is great), Moraga (ok schools, far from everything, very few families with small children, not much to do), San Ramon (great schools but diversity and tolerance not so good). After moving thrice we are thinking that short term renting is not such a good idea since moving too many times is a bit of a challenge. At the end we decided maybe Peninsula might be the best choice since husband's starting with Stanford end of this year and also has good schools for the baby.

Old 02-12-2015, 09:23 PM

10,351 posts, read 8,572,211 times
I am curious. . . how did you decide
"San Ramon (great schools but diversity and tolerance not so good)"
according to citidata it's only 47% white and I'll bet it's even lower now.

Old 02-12-2015, 09:43 PM

134 posts, read 255,171 times
Having lived in many cities of the bay area, I can say South Bay is very diverse. For $1.5M you will be lucky to find a decent SFH in Cupertino or a townhouse in Palo Alto or Los Altos if you are particular about schools.

Old 02-12-2015, 11:10 PM

7,688 posts, read 29,156,794 times
I would take a good look at Campbell. High-rated schools, nice community, diverse and the commute to Stanford is, while challenging, hardly impossible.

Old 02-13-2015, 10:32 AM

136 posts, read 196,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by -_-404notfound-_- View Post
.....San Francisco (no good schools although the diversity and tolerance is great)...
San Francisco has plenty of great schools, public and private. Not all of them are great, but there are plenty of great ones. As for diversity, nothing beats an SF public school in that regard.

Both my kids went to SF public schools from elementary to high school. They went on to excellent colleges. And they can swear in five languages -- something you can only learn to do in an SF public school.

Old 02-13-2015, 12:46 PM

6,825 posts, read 9,061,623 times
The peninsula is pretty diverse. I couldn't tell the difference between peninsula or south Bay in terms of diversity when I lived there. I really think you would be happy almost anywhere.

Old 02-13-2015, 10:23 PM

424 posts, read 552,019 times
start with a housing search site, plug in your budget and house wants and look at what sold in your price range in the last 30 days.

that will narrow down the areas that you can "enter."

from there, don't worry. there is every color and culture everywhere.

Old 02-13-2015, 10:28 PM

10,990 posts, read 20,570,522 times
Basically people live in the Silicon Valley where they can afford the housing and the school is acceptable. Race is not a factor. There are many Asians in all of the schools... it is the home of the Tiger Mother.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose