Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2015, 12:10 PM

1,271 posts, read 2,595,515 times

Advertisements

Not everyone in Tech is landing big salaries and offers, if you're outside of Software and not a Developer, say you are a Mechanical, Manufacturing or Design Engineer do the Hardware side of the product, the salaries are going to be hard to live on based on the averages. I know plenty that have turned down offers with Apple, Tesla, Google and etc for Hardware related jobs as the salaries just did make it worth it. Some accepted but they were recent grads willing to work for less and live in a studio out of shoebox and do not have any pets. Doubtful many will stay for the long haul due to the housing being out of control, also trying to find a place that is pet friendly makes it even harder to find housing.

The allure of the companies and jobs and often the salary alone isn't enough for a lot of people, no matter how good they are at what they do over age 30, make the move. I even know some recruiters who said it's been getting difficult to attract candidates that are not H1Bs, a few are with Tesla and Apple.

I have a friend who still lives in Miami, get's contacted by a lot of companies in the Valley on LinkedIn frequently, he is making around $90K which is a good salary in Miami for a Staff Mechanical Engineer, he interviewed, got several offers and declined them all after trying to counter offer many. Salaries for his field in Tech, just are not too great, I think the best he got was $125K which is probably doable for a single person living frugally, but for him and his wife and 2 kids, not going to cut it.

Rents keep rising and it's doubtful wage growth will be uniform across all fields of tech, not just software.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2015, 03:38 PM

816 posts, read 969,337 times
When I came to the bay area it was 2008. Spouse and I were in a 1BR . I made 100K total comp. base and all. It was ok. But were a bit unhappy about the constant NEED to budget every expense. You guys are at 180 combined. Without kids you should be already doing ok. But your focus should be to double that number in 5 years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramoscats View Post
I'm in my mid 30s and I make close to $85K base salary. My husband makes around $100K base salary. We have no children and rent a tiny 1 bedroom apt in the east bay for $2400 / month, which is obscene in our opinion. We're new to the area, though. Also, we are both new to our careers. Would you say that we should think of moving away after 3 - 5 years? Are our salaries OK for this area?

Old 10-06-2015, 04:19 PM

423 posts, read 611,024 times
If you are talking to Apple, all these talk about relocation package, salary, etc is likely moot point.

If you have existing RSU and/or stock options, Apple will match that. If you are consultant, then unfortunately you probably don't any. Still, Apple can include RSU in the initial offer. And annually, you can receive more RSU, but that is variable.

If you are as valuable and experienced as you stated, you can make 2-3x your salary in RSU annually. So in 2-4 years, you can make $500k to $1M. After that, you can walk way and return to Oregon. Obviously there is always unvested RSU, so that kind of keeps employees around.

Old 10-06-2015, 05:14 PM

29 posts, read 63,018 times
Default Wake up people!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jk88cal View Post

So in 2-4 years, you can make $500k to $1M. After that, you can walk way and return to Oregon. Obviously there is always unvested RSU, so that kind of keeps employees around.

So in 2-4 years, you can make $500K to $1M!!!!!!

...or in 2-4 years, you're filling out unemployment claims like the dreamers on this board. Some people simply have not lived long enough.

Old 10-07-2015, 12:02 AM

424 posts, read 552,459 times
the people who made huge $$ in google were the ones who were in early prior to the IPO. they are all very wealthy now and many own MULTIPLE homes in SV. those joining now have little chance of such a win fall. salaries can be good, though. I seriously doubt 500K though. a chief legal person gets about 350K at facebook.

Old 10-07-2015, 12:08 AM

15,088 posts, read 13,464,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gray horse View Post
I left the Bay Area over 10 years ago. Is it worth going back for a job @ one of the big tech companies? Rent looks to be about $3500+ for something that will take dogs. I'm single, fifty, and although I could buy a small house I'm not really interested in taking on a $400K+ loan.

Currently I live in Oregon, and I'm working on getting into a home on acreage that I will have no or a very low mortgage. As a consultant I can make anywhere from $80-120K/ year. I consult in the Bay Area now, so I fly in on occasion, but most everything is now done remotely / online...

I don't think there is a chance I would be allowed to telecommute.

I'm being interviewed by Apple and Google, and I'm a perfect fit for both of them...with more experience than they will probably find as I'm in a niche IT field.

What do you think the compensation would need to be to make it worthwhile?
Yes, it can be just fine financially and good for your career. Depends on how ambitious you are. Can open a lot of doors to riches.

On the other hand...if you're just going to be a worker to mid-level manager, you will do just fine but will be in a much smaller house than you'd get where you are. You'll get comped maybe $175K inclusive of bonuses, etc...but that's not enough where a really small house goes for $1M.

And also, you will work like a dog. Silicon Valley is the valley of the workaholic, especially in Tech. Maybe you're into that. But you could easily have a better all-around quality of life elsewhere. I'm socking away some good money, but I think the clock is ticking on when I pull the eject cord and get my life back.

Old 10-07-2015, 07:24 AM

816 posts, read 969,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
but I think the clock is ticking on when I pull the eject cord and get my life back.
How much do you work? I have always struggled with this. Last two weeks, I woke up at 6 most mornings, and worked till midnight. Its not constant work, but a lot of it. It makes me a bit resentful at times. But on an average I do not work more than 40 hours a week, averaged over the year. I will always slack off after the rush is done.

Is your experience different?

Old 10-07-2015, 11:18 AM

781 posts, read 744,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jk88cal View Post
If you are talking to Apple, all these talk about relocation package, salary, etc is likely moot point.

If you have existing RSU and/or stock options, Apple will match that. If you are consultant, then unfortunately you probably don't any. Still, Apple can include RSU in the initial offer. And annually, you can receive more RSU, but that is variable.

If you are as valuable and experienced as you stated, you can make 2-3x your salary in RSU annually. So in 2-4 years, you can make $500k to $1M. After that, you can walk way and return to Oregon. Obviously there is always unvested RSU, so that kind of keeps employees around.
I think if one is very lucky (and in management) they *might* have a $300k total package, but the other $500k figure is far fetched.

Old 10-07-2015, 04:09 PM

423 posts, read 611,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYinCA2014 View Post
I think if one is very lucky (and in management) they *might* have a $300k total package, but the other $500k figure is far fetched.
Not far fetched. From actual data.

I have 2 close relatives working at A company. One always nag me to get a job there. I knew how much is base salary, but we never talk about total compensation. Just 6 months ago, I found out RSU is 1-2x the salary in RSU. And job is not even in engineering, but in support position not key to product development.

(Yeah, our household is weird that we don't share all these financial details. And the money from RSU goes into separate individual bank account ).

I checked around, with other relative and acquaintances. For senior engineer (10+ years experience), 2-3x salary in RSU is common. So base salary of $200k+ with RSU worth around $500k (varies every year). After several years, multiple RSU grants vest annually. Yup, they are making $500k in RSU annually.

A company is very different. With start-ups, people make money on their stock options on IPO. A company is way beyond that. But the company is making so much money that they are basically rewarding the employees. And to get hire top employees and keep them.

The downside is the work-life balance. If you don't perform or if you make a mistake, you are fired. For some groups, 8am to 9pm is standard work schedule. And working overnight is required occasionally.

Old 10-07-2015, 07:42 PM

17,642 posts, read 22,665,622 times
If you have a recreational vehicle (or buy a gently used, loved RV. There are many around.) You could stay at McAlpine Lake & Park for $750 per month.

Camping/RVs

McAlpine Lake & Park | San Juan Bautista, CA 95045

Years ago we stayed there with our four legged pals, in our motorhome.
My niece lived there in her 5th wheel. She had a pet & her children.
My brother & family have a home in Gilroy.
There are other RV Parks in the area, also.
They had a Honey Wagon come around for holding tank drain when needed.

I don't know if any of the rules have changed now. We were there for a short time 15 years ago.

You can enjoy a wonderful meal on the patio at Jardines, in nearby San Juan Bautista.

Jardines de San Juan - 133 Photos - Mexican - 115 3rd St - San Juan Bautista, CA - Reviews - Menu - Yelp

Bon Appetit.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose