Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2009, 11:50 PM

2 posts, read 18,793 times

Advertisements

Hello, thank you for reading my post! I'm hoping some of you sweet people can tell me what you love/hate about San Jose and also give me direction on where to live.

My husband and I are relocating to the San Jose area after living in LA for a year. I will have a new job in Campbell and we can afford about $2,000/mo. in rent (we need 2 bedrooms and a garage).

We don't really enjoy living in LA because of the high crime rate, cost of living, traffic, etc. We're looking forward to moving to an area that is less populated and has less crime. We actually like the idea of living in suburbia for a change. However, we're in our mid-20s and want to be in an area with some nightlife - fun restaurants & bars.

We love to ride our bicycles around town, my husband likes to go on day trips on his motorcycle, and we love the beach. I would like to be able to get to Campbell in 20 minutes or less for work.

What are your thoughts? If you don't have specific advice for us, please tell me what you love/hate about San Jose - we are trying to get a really good feel for the area before we move.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2009, 05:14 PM
hsw

2,144 posts, read 7,160,089 times
Far more powerful, IQ-based tech and financial economy vs LA region

Superb weather and air quality; SJ and South Bay are inland LA-like in terms of weather and smog...not as bad as Valleys but DLA-like; PA area is arguably optimal in terms of weather and air quality

Some of world's best driving rds in Woodside mtns, akin to Malibu cyn rds...but more wooded terrain on Peninsula, not the desertscape of much of LA region (or SJ and Los Gatos area)

Two of world's greatest regions in which to live and work; IMO, Silicon Valley is far more enjoyable from a career standpoint and for raising kids (b/c of intellectual and economic richness of SV)

Old 04-24-2009, 05:48 PM
Ohs

236 posts, read 712,494 times
Well the traffic is just as bad in San Jose area as in L.A. and can be very frustrating. You would like Campbell best I think since you can ride your bikes there and there is the Los Gatos trail that is about 12 miles long just for joggers and bikers. The town is small but has a much different feel then San Jose. I'm from southern CA and never liked L.A. much but I dislike San Jose even more. It is some what of a depressing city with nothing going on EVER. Plus other cultures here seem to stick together more so then I have ever seen and it can make a person feel out of place. I am used to a large population of Hispanics but the difference here is that as a group they seem to not want to assimilate and at times it feels like your in another country. Not that any of this was exactly what you asked but I currently live in San Jose this is my 3rd year and I still feel like an outsider. I plan on moving to Campbell in the summer because it does have a different feel, less traffic, more out doors stuff, and the people are more open and interactive. Hopefully this helps.

Old 04-24-2009, 09:10 PM

2 posts, read 18,793 times
Great advice, thank you both! How do you feel about Palos Altos? I know it's further away from where I would be working in Campbell, but I wonder if there would be more going on because of the university. How long of a commute do you think that would be?

Old 04-24-2009, 09:19 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,836,094 times
If you plan on doubling your price, you are approaching what it would cost to live in Palo Alto. East Palo Alto, maybe, but Compton North might not be what you have in mind.
On the other hand, Mountain View (just south of PA) might be more your style.

Old 04-24-2009, 11:09 PM

7,688 posts, read 29,143,792 times
Wouldn't necessarily be double just for two beds and a garage. It'll be an apartment with a garage or assigned spot, but you can get that for $2000 in Palo Alto.

Old 04-25-2009, 02:58 PM

30,894 posts, read 36,937,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaytee20 View Post
Hello, thank you for reading my post! I'm hoping some of you sweet people can tell me what you love/hate about San Jose and also give me direction on where to live.

My husband and I are relocating to the San Jose area after living in LA for a year. I will have a new job in Campbell and we can afford about $2,000/mo. in rent (we need 2 bedrooms and a garage).

We don't really enjoy living in LA because of the high crime rate, cost of living, traffic, etc. We're looking forward to moving to an area that is less populated and has less crime. We actually like the idea of living in suburbia for a change. However, we're in our mid-20s and want to be in an area with some nightlife - fun restaurants & bars.

We love to ride our bicycles around town, my husband likes to go on day trips on his motorcycle, and we love the beach. I would like to be able to get to Campbell in 20 minutes or less for work.

What are your thoughts? If you don't have specific advice for us, please tell me what you love/hate about San Jose - we are trying to get a really good feel for the area before we move.

Thanks!
San Jose & Silcon Valley in general have much less crime than LA. The traffic is bad but not as bad as LA area. The smog is bad by Bay Area standards, but really the air here, while not pristine, is relatively clean.

The cost of living is as high or higher than LA. Wages tend to be a bit better, on average.

As others have said, there are a lot of immigrants here who are not necessarily unfriendly, but they do tend to stick together in their own little groups. San Jose is surprisingly dull for a large city. Not that there's nothting to do, but considering its size there should be more to do than there is. Campbell has more of a "white middle class" vibe than other parts of the valley. Sometimes it feels like the whole South Bay is just a suburb of San Francisco, even though it has a larger overall population.

The other thing to note is that Silicon Valley is dominated by tech people. It's basically a one industry town. And tech people pretty much think in the same one-dimensional way the world over. There are a fair number of workaholics here.

Palo Alto is probably the trendiest area to live in the South Bay. It's also the most expensive area for that reason. The commute from Palo Alto to Campbell is doable. There are people who commute much farther distances...but that doesn't mean you would want to do the commute...it just depends on your tolerance for commuting (mine is quite low!).

Many find Mountain View a slightly cheaper alternative to Palo Alto. Mountain View has a cute little downtown...has a bit more character than other cities in the South Bay..a little less 'cookie cutter'.

Old 04-25-2009, 03:39 PM

398 posts, read 1,331,246 times
San Jose does have a nightlife downtown. There's alot of bars, clubs and lounge's and various events in that area. Tons of 20's to mid 30's people go out there.

Old 04-25-2009, 11:40 PM

264 posts, read 831,253 times
I recommend Saratoga near the downtown village area. It's great for bike riding, and I notice motorcycles heading up highway 9 toward Boulder Creek quite often during warmer days. It's a perfect location to Campbell to avoid most traffic!

It's known as a "sleepy" town, but I think that's the charm of it. It's a quiet and very relaxing place to come home to. Although it is known to be an expensive place to live, it doesn't have the stuffy yuppy-entitlement vibe of Los Gatos, and feels very down-to-earth as will many of the people you come across in Saratoga. Downtown San Jose will have some night life as well as some other small pockets around the south bay. You can always drive into downtown San Jose for the nightlife.

You can find 2 bed apartments for 2000 with a garage in Saratoga.

Old 08-09-2015, 03:19 AM

1 posts, read 4,753 times
Dont move to san jose!! If u like arguments with ppl..every day and rude service for no reason then u will be fine! Also beeing married doesn't stop woman from getting at you're husband..woman are desperate Fremont ca is better and its a indian comunity or cupertino... Trust me indians know where its good to live
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose