Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Does a large number of different ethnicies other than your own make you feel like your not at home i
Yes 52 38.24%
No 84 61.76%
Voters: 136. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2016, 08:56 PM

1,658 posts, read 3,548,296 times

Advertisements

I grew up in the Midwest, half Asian half White. It was nearly 100% white but I never experienced any racism. That being said, I live in San Jose now and find it very refreshing. There really is no majority here. There are many groups who co-exist, which is great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2016, 11:29 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,359,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nony100 View Post
Diversity? I think you missed the whole point of the thread and comment. Please read through all 300 posts and then respond. I'm a liberal half white / half Nicaraguan and married to a beautiful 3/4 black, 1/4 mexican woman.

Diversity in the upper/middle classes of SJ, Cupertino, Los Gatos, Sunnyvale and Livermore? That isn't diversity buddy, that's just upper/middle class. When you've lived in East Side San Jose, EPA, South "Frisco" (most people call it Frisco or 'the Sco"), Haystack or Oaktown, then you can speak on behalf of diversity. In the eyes of everyone outside your bubble, you're just white.
So then why are you bashing immigration, if you are in favor of diversity?

Look, it's real hard to stage social engineering to your supposed ideal satisfaction. People are what they are.

Old 07-24-2016, 11:48 PM

677 posts, read 835,573 times
Quote:
over the past 10 years, there has been an influx of asians and indians. how long do their green cards last for?
Having a "green card" means you're a permanent resident. So they're not leaving.

Old 07-25-2016, 03:13 AM

1,516 posts, read 1,248,990 times
I can understand where the OP is coming from, it's not a racist thing (gosh, people just love that word these days). I grew up in an area where I had African American, Latino, Caucasian, Indian and Asian friends. There were all types of ethnicities in my classes growing up despite my state not appearing to be diverse to outsiders. Since moving here, 98% of my friends/coworkers are Asian. At my last 2 jobs the office was fairly diverse, but that was further out toward the East Bay. It might sound dumb but in some areas I do forget I'm in America.

And don't get me wrong, my SO is a minority. One of our biggest concerns is we want our kids to grow up in an area with multiple ethnicities, not just one or two. My SO has said he doesn't want our kids going to schools that are the majority his race.

Old 07-25-2016, 12:59 PM

402 posts, read 538,780 times
Quote:
Diversity? I think you missed the whole point of the thread and comment. Please read through all 300 posts and then respond. I'm a liberal half white / half Nicaraguan and married to a beautiful 3/4 black, 1/4 mexican woman.

Diversity in the upper/middle classes of SJ, Cupertino, Los Gatos, Sunnyvale and Livermore? That isn't diversity buddy, that's just upper/middle class. When you've lived in East Side San Jose, EPA, South "Frisco" (most people call it Frisco or 'the Sco"), Haystack or Oaktown, then you can speak on behalf of diversity. In the eyes of everyone outside your bubble, you're just white.
It happened before but that's not true at least for the last 5 or perhaps 10 years. There are tons of rich Chinese and Indians families in these cities. Software engineers who got stocks or even sold their own companies, doctors, experienced real estate agents, bankers, financial consultants - name them yourself. Check who goes to famous private schools nowadays in the Bay Area... You can be surprised by their parents ethnic diversity, and that's a cool thing.

I'm very against of using any kind of racial rhetoric in this discussion. It is about your life goals, your dreams and your efforts on the way to success but not about your country of origin.

Last edited by dogandcat; 07-25-2016 at 01:10 PM..

Old 07-25-2016, 08:41 PM

3,038 posts, read 4,777,193 times
Quote:

It so happens that I have lived in East San Jose. Our church ( Spanish Language ) was in East San Jose. However you are a way off topic because this thread is about Asians, not Hispanics.

Most people do NOT call San Francisco "Frisco". Only the uneducated ones do. "Frisco" is a city in Texas.

Old 07-26-2016, 02:40 AM

1,963 posts, read 3,044,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnSoCal View Post
Most people do NOT call San Francisco "Frisco". Only the uneducated ones do. "Frisco" is a city in Texas.
And just to cover all the bases, "Cali" is a city in Columbia.

Old 07-26-2016, 12:00 PM

353 posts, read 437,776 times
JohnSoCal: You are right that most younger people do not call San Francisco "Frisco" (they usually call it SF or sometimes "the city"), but "frisco" is used by old timers or people who grew up in "cali" longer than 30 plus years ago.

Old 07-26-2016, 09:56 PM

1,963 posts, read 3,044,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane M View Post
JohnSoCal: You are right that most younger people do not call San Francisco "Frisco" (they usually call it SF or sometimes "the city"), but "frisco" is used by old timers or people who grew up in "cali" longer than 30 plus years ago.
Interesting position. I was born in the bay area, both my parents were born in San Francisco (2 of my grandparents lived in SF for over 50 years, and died there), one of my grandmothers was born in L.A. I think that qualifies me as a "native". Even more, I am a "Bay Area, multi-generational native".

I have never used the terms "Cali" or "Frisco", I have never heard anyone in my family use them, I have never heard any of my "native" acquaintances use them. I am over 50.

So I would have to disagree with your position.

Old 07-26-2016, 10:52 PM

5 posts, read 5,299 times
You forgot the Namastes!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose