Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-28-2017, 10:07 PM

10 posts, read 27,118 times

Advertisements

Hello,

Husband got an offer to work in San Juan Bautista

We are a family of 4: 6 and 10 y.o kids

I was a SAHM until recently, so would love to find a part-time/ flex time job (I may have an option in the Palo Alto area- my current employer has an office there, but if not there, most likely b/c of my skills I would find easier employement in SJ area (Palo Alto, Cupertino, etc..) or in Monterrey.

We are trying to determine where to look at houses, initially for rent, although there is a possibility of purchase. List of priorities:

1. Great schools (either public or subsidized catholic)
2. Safe, family orientated, welcoming neighborhood/community
3.Great library/parks
4. no more than 40 min. commute (preferably less) to SJB
5. 3-4 Bedroom

Budget is $4000/month, we could maybe do more but would prefer not to.

So, although hubby is the only one with a guaranteed job, we are leaning towards moving north of SJB so that, if (when?!) I get a job, I will also be able to be available for afterschool activities.

Oh! one more thing, a great plus would be a horse barn nearby- 10 yo is currently riding and is showing great potential for show-jumping/eventing/cross country...

Thanks in advance for your input,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2017, 11:45 PM

402 posts, read 539,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movingtoqueencity View Post
Hello,

Husband got an offer to work in San Juan Bautista

We are a family of 4: 6 and 10 y.o kids

I was a SAHM until recently, so would love to find a part-time/ flex time job (I may have an option in the Palo Alto area- my current employer has an office there, but if not there, most likely b/c of my skills I would find easier employement in SJ area (Palo Alto, Cupertino, etc..) or in Monterrey.

We are trying to determine where to look at houses, initially for rent, although there is a possibility of purchase. List of priorities:

1. Great schools (either public or subsidized catholic)
2. Safe, family orientated, welcoming neighborhood/community
3.Great library/parks
4. no more than 40 min. commute (preferably less) to SJB
5. 3-4 Bedroom

Budget is $4000/month, we could maybe do more but would prefer not to.

So, although hubby is the only one with a guaranteed job, we are leaning towards moving north of SJB so that, if (when?!) I get a job, I will also be able to be available for afterschool activities.

Oh! one more thing, a great plus would be a horse barn nearby- 10 yo is currently riding and is showing great potential for show-jumping/eventing/cross country...

Thanks in advance for your input,
I heard there are very good schools in Morgan Hill (not as "posh" as Palo Alto schools but still high ranked). I personally like MH renovated historical downtown with lots of restaurants, and i like parks to play sports with kids, and their giant dog park near a new library. Nice place for families. Morgan Hill can also offer nice newer houses in your price range. Home prices will definitely be higher compare to San Juan Bautista area because many people commute every day from Morgan Hill to Silicon Valley so they push local real estate prices up. Still in your price range.

However, the traffic for your possible job in SJ-Palo Alto will be a true nightmare!!! 101 hgwy is dead during rush hours. Maybe you will be able to find something in SJB area, or Monterey.

There are tons of horse ranges, farms etc near Gilroy, San Martin, and Morgan Hill.

Old 10-30-2017, 07:50 AM

10 posts, read 27,118 times
thanks for the info. MH has definitely come up in my search. But I also assumed traffic for me might be an issue. Is there such a thing as non-rush hour? for ex., thinking about leaving to SJ @8am and coming back to MH @2-3pm?

Good to know about the horse farms!

Old 10-30-2017, 11:59 AM

1,318 posts, read 3,557,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movingtoqueencity View Post
thanks for the info. MH has definitely come up in my search. But I also assumed traffic for me might be an issue. Is there such a thing as non-rush hour? for ex., thinking about leaving to SJ @8am and coming back to MH @2-3pm?

Good to know about the horse farms!
Your husband should have no issue with a commute to SJB, anywhere from SJ going south is considered reverse commute, most of the traffic will be going north. The issue will really be your commute as you've pointed out. Unfortunately The last 7 years rush hour has expanded, and to avoid traffic you have to be at work by 7 at the latest, or leave after 10:30-11, in the afternoon, you have to be home by 3pm, or leave after 7:30, or really 8pm. If you're really concerned you can buy a used Volt or similar with a carpool sticker, but traffic will still be a PITA.

If you wish to work part time I suggest going for 3 or 4 days a week, or working from home at least one day a week. You can keep a commute more manageable by working in SJ, or Los Gatos.

Otherwise you can look for jobs in the Monterey, Salinas, or Santa Cruz areas, and look for housing in more affordable or rural areas closer to work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose