Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2016, 12:38 PM
DFB DFB started this thread

3 posts, read 3,338 times

Advertisements

Our landlord just hired a property mgmt company to take over at end of our 1 yr lease (current lease ends Sept 30). We plan to stay here, but have not seen a new lease yet. I understand that under California law, a landlord must give a tenant at least 30 days' written notice if the rent increase is going to be less than a 10 percent hike. If the rent increase is greater than 10 percent, then a landlord must then give 60 days' notice. As this is already Sept 4, it appears no rent increase can be made, as we have not been notified in time. BUT is a landlord hiring a property mgmt company a legal reason to raise rent? We do not know at this point what the new lease will look like - will it still be a lease between us and the owner, or us and the new property mgmt co - with their own 'NEW' terms? Any advice here would be great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2016, 08:31 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,050,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DFB View Post
As this is already Sept 4, it appears no rent increase can be made, as we have not been notified in time.
A lease is not mandatory. They don't have to present you with a new lease at the end of your term. They could give you a notice anytime, then go month-to-month for 30 or 60 days.

Old 09-05-2016, 11:21 AM

They have told us they will be giving us a new lease.

Old 09-06-2016, 09:28 AM

6,421 posts, read 7,672,937 times
No one here can really read the management company's mind.

When I was a landlord, I used a management company so the tenants could call someone else in the middle of the night if the water leaked, enforce the rental contract, keep current with any legal requirements, remove any tenants who didn't pay, and qualify new tenants. All of this cost the management company who passes their costs on to me, so I pass it on to the tenant. So, yes I could guess your rent will increase. If you don't want to pay, I would suggest you start your search so that you will have an idea about the local rental comps and have your top line figured out before they have you in a tough spot.

Life in the Bay Area is for the rich to get richer.

Old 09-06-2016, 10:35 AM

150 posts, read 186,666 times
We had a property manager a couple of houses ago. It worked out in our favor as tenants in a couple of ways. When things broke at the house, the property management company had regular handymen and contractors who could get there quickly. And the property manager can apply pressure to a landlord who might not do the right thing on her own. While we were living there, both the dishwasher and the central AC broke beyond repair. The landlord did not want to spend the money to replace either of these things, but the property manager told her that she had to because they were listed in the lease.

But the previous post is correct that property management doesn't come free, and landlords tend to pass costs on.

As for the other terms of the lease, the property management firm no doubt has a template that they use - how much your lease will change will depend on how much your current lease differs from their template. That's hard to predict!

Old 09-06-2016, 10:49 AM

308 posts, read 467,636 times
I don't believe the fact that a property manager is handling management really has any impact on the lease or rent charge. The 30/60 day requirements for rent increases stays, regardless of who is managing the property. No action can really be taken in general without respecting appropriate time periods. Even with a new lease, there is still the 30 day notice that must be given where you get to choose to move out or agree to the new terms. The fact that they haven't raised the rent yet- good for you. Also, I use the same lease for both myself handling the property or if I use a management company. The only difference is that there is an area at the bottom of the page where I am specifying that the property management will be handling functions. Otherwise, all remains the same.

As a landlord, I don't always raise the rent as soon as I possibly can. Although, with rent control now in force at Alameda, I will be doing so every chance I get as my options have become much more limited.

Old 09-06-2016, 08:25 PM

Thanks everyone!

Old 09-07-2016, 12:13 PM

1,963 posts, read 3,045,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgbnsf View Post
I don't believe the fact that a property manager is handling management really has any impact on the lease or rent charge. The 30/60 day requirements for rent increases stays, regardless of who is managing the property. No action can really be taken in general without respecting appropriate time periods.
I believe that adding a new (substantial) cost to the owner will *definitely* have an impact on the rent (and possibly the lease as well). Everything you cite only affects the *timeline* (i.e., the earliest it could happen).

Legally, the mgmt co can't force the tenant to sign a new lease immediately. What they CAN do is offer a new lease with a higher rent and if the renter won't sign a new lease, kick them out. Yes, renter will have to receive 'X' day notice (depending on how long they are there and the old lease), but will be on a month-to-month lease, and can legally be told to leave (well, depending on *city* ordinances).

As already stated, OP should start looking for a new place AT LEAST to see what current prices are like. If the new lease is less, then stay. If high enough to motivate renter to deal with the bother of moving, then leave.

Old 10-30-2017, 12:48 AM

4 posts, read 6,803 times
Default Current propertry mgr & new property mgr both requesting rent

We have been notified we have a new property mgmt company but our current property mgmt company was never notified of any change. Now both property mgmt companies are demanding rent.

Old 10-30-2017, 02:07 PM

102,218 posts, read 107,977,655 times
Oops, old thread, folks. New "OP", in the post above mine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
View detailed profiles of: