Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2018, 12:21 PM

1,886 posts, read 2,098,571 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

I am likely accepting an offer for an employer in Menlo Park and am not sure where I should be looking for housing. Currently living in Downtown LA.

- Will be renting
- Would like to stay at/under $4000 per mo (parking doesn't have to be included in that)
- 1br, <900sqft, apartment complex
- Married couple, both ~30yrs old
- Both work in tech, and will be tied to Silicon Valley employers
- Public transit preferred, <30min commute desired
- if driving, <20min commute desired
- We like to hike, mountain bike, and be closer to the connivences of a "downtown" area

Where do you recommend?

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2018, 12:40 PM

102,203 posts, read 107,859,557 times
If you're working in Menlo Park, live in Menlo Park. You can easily afford it. Do your own research on Craigslist, to find what you want, and get a feel for the rental market. There are even some 2-br. places well within your budget (older buildings). Menlo Park is a cool little community. BTW, the Bay Area hasn't until recently, needed A/C. Some buildings won't have it. you may need a window unit, or portable A/C, to have on hand when a heat wave hits. You'll thank me. In any case, when you inquire about a rental, ask if it has A/C.

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 06-13-2018 at 01:59 PM..

Old 06-13-2018, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
If you're working in Menlo Park, live in Menlo Park. You can easily afford it. Do your own research on Craigslist, to find what you want, and get a feel for the rental market. There are even some 2-br. places well within your budget (older buildings). Menlo Park is a cool little community. BTW, the Bay Area hasn't until recently, needed A/C. Most buildings won't have it. Get yourself a window unit, or portable A/C, to have on hand when a heat wave hits. You'll thank me. In any case, when you inquire about a rental, ask if it has A/C.
Thanks. We’re primarily looking at newer construction large developments, so A/C included. We’re just not sure where we should look to maximize our QOL.

E.g: there’s a train that goes to Redwood in a reasonable time and Redwood is happenin' place, so expand search to Redwood. (not sure if true, just an example)

Last edited by adr3naline; 06-13-2018 at 01:45 PM..

Old 06-13-2018, 07:40 PM

402 posts, read 538,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adr3naline View Post
Thanks. We’re primarily looking at newer construction large developments, so A/C included. We’re just not sure where we should look to maximize our QOL.

E.g: there’s a train that goes to Redwood in a reasonable time and Redwood is happenin' place, so expand search to Redwood. (not sure if true, just an example)

With your very healthy budget, stay in Menlo Park or Palo Alto. You do no need Redwood city since it is add to your commute time for getting the same value. I love Redwood and especially their downtown just thinking about your convenience...

If work is in Facebook, you can consider renting right near Facebook in North East Menlo Park - their newer apartment buildings right near the campus should be safe, and you can walk or bike to work. I assume the majority of people who rent there are Facebook workers. But I would rent near Menlo Park downtown with your budget... More fun and safety.

Old 06-13-2018, 08:40 PM

2,674 posts, read 2,626,495 times
I agree Menlo Park or Palo Alto. I would stay away from East Palo Alto.

Old 06-13-2018, 09:49 PM

93 posts, read 130,724 times
Downtown Palo Alto or Downtown Menlo Park are your best bet. DO NOT move to East Menlo Park (east of 101).

Old 06-14-2018, 01:37 AM

187 posts, read 206,330 times
Nothing new to add, just take the advice already given - PA or MP.

Old 06-15-2018, 03:04 PM

102,203 posts, read 107,859,557 times
Quote:

Menlo Park is happening' enough, and there's newer construction downtown. It's a great downtown, with a lot of character, IMO.

Old 06-18-2018, 02:18 PM

1,740 posts, read 1,266,952 times
Quote:
Hi All,

I am likely accepting an offer for an employer in Menlo Park and am not sure where I should be looking for housing. Currently living in Downtown LA.

- Will be renting
- Would like to stay at/under $4000 per mo (parking doesn't have to be included in that)
- 1br, <900sqft, apartment complex
- Married couple, both ~30yrs old
- Both work in tech, and will be tied to Silicon Valley employers
- Public transit preferred, <30min commute desired
- if driving, <20min commute desired
- We like to hike, mountain bike, and be closer to the connivences of a "downtown" area

Where do you recommend?

Thanks in advance!
I don't renting costs will be an issue.

How close do you desire to be to a "downtown" and how much of a "downtown" do you need?

I would also consider Redwood City (btw City is part of the name, not just "Redwood" ) Downtown is definitely booming, might be more food options than Menlo Park. Palo Alto will have the most.

Of course there are other downtowns (ie. Mountain View) but I think you would be shifting further away from your outdoor preferences. IMO South RWC is the best gateway to the Santa Cruz mountains on the peninsula. I live in RWC near Woodside Rd, about halfway between hwys 101 and 280, and its easy access to a bunch of trails for trail running, hiking, mountain biking. I cycle directly from my house up the local mountain roads conveniently.

That said, Menlo Park would also be close enough for most of this, and I think is really nice.

Old 06-19-2018, 04:44 PM

This is all very helpful, thank you.

Question about "East" Menlo Park. @joey_mcmarbles you mention this is everything East of the 101. Did you mean the 82? Looks like there's very little life to the West/North of the 101 near Menlo Park...East Palo Alto included.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose