Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2020, 11:21 PM

1,253 posts, read 1,054,214 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcopolo666 View Post
Something similar happened back in the early noughts (2000s) : an exodus of families to smaller cities outside of megalopolis / suburbia.

That's when the term "edge city" or "exurb" came into play.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2020, 11:22 AM

7,650 posts, read 4,597,880 times
It would be nice. There's some cool places I'd love to move to but altogether have insignificant economic bases making it not an option. Plus, to keep a high wage California job but live in a lower cost of living area would be tremendous.

Old 05-30-2020, 10:23 AM

4,321 posts, read 6,282,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artillery77 View Post
It would be nice. There's some cool places I'd love to move to but altogether have insignificant economic bases making it not an option. Plus, to keep a high wage California job but live in a lower cost of living area would be tremendous.
I have chatted with my wife about relocating over the past couple years. We're taking a wait and see approach at this point in time. Honestly, we really do not yet know 1 - the severity and duration of COVID-19 (especially with a potential second wave) and 2 - the long term impacts on the job market and remote work.

My wife gets a lot of contracting opportunity calls from recruiters. Many are still requiring the people to be onsite. Personally, I think the recruiters are completely out of touch, given that nobody is going to the office now and that there will likely be some reset into a "new normal".

The main reason why we've stayed here is because of the job market and higher salaries. What I don't want to do is be stranded somewhere, where if I needed or wanted to change jobs, there would be less opportunities. Time will only tell, but I think within the next 1-2 years, we'll have a much better idea.

Old 06-01-2020, 12:52 PM

4,031 posts, read 4,463,364 times
SF, Silicon Valley rents plunge in May amid downturn:

https://www.sfchronicle.com/business...p-15307118.php

Old 06-09-2020, 11:36 AM

3,433 posts, read 3,752,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Coe View Post
SF, Silicon Valley rents plunge in May amid downturn:

https://www.sfchronicle.com/business...p-15307118.php
That's great! More foreigners and immigrants will move in and be able to afford rent!

Old 06-20-2020, 04:03 AM

7,650 posts, read 4,597,880 times
Next stop on the Silicon Valley train....Detroit. The party was profitable while it lasted folks.

Old 06-20-2020, 09:13 PM

4,321 posts, read 6,282,748 times
Does everyone think remote work will be here to stay or do you think this will only last through the pandemic? I know a couple companies have publicly stated that it will, but I'm still a little skeptical.

However, if it does become more prevalent, would definitely think about leaving the Bay Area. Wouldn't mind relocating somewhere with a better quality of life.

Old 06-22-2020, 03:56 PM

353 posts, read 437,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadwarrior101 View Post
Does everyone think remote work will be here to stay or do you think this will only last through the pandemic? I know a couple companies have publicly stated that it will, but I'm still a little skeptical.

However, if it does become more prevalent, would definitely think about leaving the Bay Area. Wouldn't mind relocating somewhere with a better quality of life.
Yes. I believe most tech companies will have a majority of employees work from home.
It is a win-win situation any way you look at it.

For employers: No high facility rents, no furnishing costs, no feeding employees, and no paying exorbitant salaries for city/bay area dwellers.

For employees: live where you want, no commute, save money by not commuting or eating out. For some employees: not dealing with coworkers bothering you.

if workers are efficient and there is an infrastructure that supports quick, reliable communication between all employees, then there literally is no downside. Think about how many transportation problems will be resolved by all of tech working at home.

Old 06-22-2020, 04:02 PM

2,674 posts, read 2,627,105 times
I think it will be a common option, but not many will take it. The executives where I am firmly believe people are more productive in the office, and perception is reality. So while they may need to make it an option, I suspect it will be a career limiting move, and people will figure that out pretty quickly.

Old 06-23-2020, 12:13 PM

353 posts, read 437,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdhpa View Post
I think it will be a common option, but not many will take it. The executives where I am firmly believe people are more productive in the office, and perception is reality. So while they may need to make it an option, I suspect it will be a career limiting move, and people will figure that out pretty quickly.
Sure the execs think that. But it's not always true. Some employees work better at home without the constant interference of chatty co-workers. The key to productivity is to hire a more disciplined workforce. Fire employees who don't pull their weight and hire ones who know how to manage their time without the need for constant supervision. Employees and their superiors need to adapt to the new paradigm or get another vocation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose