Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-31-2021, 05:38 PM

18 posts, read 28,121 times

Advertisements

I no longer live in San Jose, but would like to have a birthday cake picked up in Los Gatos and delivered to my son who currently lives in Santa Clara. This bakery is not listed on the typical delivery service sites, such as DoorDash, Grubhub or Ubereats. I called the bakery and asked if they deliver or could recommend a service that does and they said they don't deliver and don't know of any service.

In Austin, we have some delivery services (Runner City, Favor, etc) that will pick up/run errands from any business/restaurant/pharmacy, etc. and deliver to you. I've looked online but can't find anything similar in the South Bay. If anyone has any information on this type of delivery service, I would certainly appreciate it. Thank you for any recommendations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2021, 10:04 AM

1,651 posts, read 3,698,331 times
Task Rabbit and Fiverr are what you're looking for. I've got a friend who does that exactly that kind of service all the time.

Old 04-03-2021, 03:40 PM

Thank you! Task Rabbit only has people who charge $45/hour and up on the date I need (is that a standard rate for this type of service?...it's more than the cake....lol). I can't figure out how to select delivery or running errands on Fiverr. If your friend is available next Wed and would be OK with letting me know how to contact them on either app, I'd be happy to see if they will take the job.

Thanks again for your reply. It's kind of a family birthday tradition from back when we all lived in San Jose, and the family has had a rough year, so was hoping to send my son his favorite cake from a few states away. Didn't realize it would be this difficult to find someone.

Old 04-04-2021, 09:21 AM

5,324 posts, read 18,271,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueSkies567 View Post
Thank you! Task Rabbit only has people who charge $45/hour and up on the date I need (is that a standard rate for this type of service?...it's more than the cake....lol). I can't figure out how to select delivery or running errands on Fiverr. If your friend is available next Wed and would be OK with letting me know how to contact them on either app, I'd be happy to see if they will take the job.

Thanks again for your reply. It's kind of a family birthday tradition from back when we all lived in San Jose, and the family has had a rough year, so was hoping to send my son his favorite cake from a few states away. Didn't realize it would be this difficult to find someone.
Is it possible to have the cake made and instruct your son to pick it up?

Old 04-04-2021, 02:54 PM

That's a great idea, but I kind of wanted it to be a surprise and if I tell him ahead of time, he will just say he doesn't want anything for his birthday. At this point, I am considering just sendiing him a cake from Whole Foods with Amazon Prime, along with some other goodies/prepared foods. He just started a new job and always cooks at home, so having some prepared foods like lasagna, soup and specialty breads from WF might be a nice treat. They said they can't write on the cake with Amazon ordering, but it's better than nothing, I guess.

Old 04-04-2021, 02:57 PM

10,864 posts, read 6,484,106 times
Why not ask local uber eat or lyft and compensate them for the extra effort

Old 04-04-2021, 03:44 PM

17,635 posts, read 22,643,465 times
Does your son have a wife or girlfriend or friend, who can pickup the cake?

In some areas of some states some of the grocery stores deliver to your home for a $35 & above order Like
Walmart
Fred Meyer
Safeway
Trader Joe's
Whole Foods

Old 04-08-2021, 01:46 PM

1,651 posts, read 3,698,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueSkies567 View Post
Thank you! Task Rabbit only has people who charge $45/hour and up on the date I need (is that a standard rate for this type of service?...it's more than the cake....lol).
I mean, it's probably 25 miles of round trip driving, plus an hour of someone's time in the middle of the day, $45 doesn't seem excessive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose