Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-02-2022, 11:31 PM

1 posts, read 2,205 times

Advertisements

Hello

My kids just came from India and they are in grades 3 and 5. They don't know good english yet but will learn in some time. Until then we want to put them in a school where at least they can find good percentage of indian kids so they can communicate with them, if not other kids. Long term we do want them to mix up with kids from all communities. We are renting, working from home, so not a problem for 1-2 yrs we can live any place- san jose or tracy, livermore, lathrop or even sunnyvale. If lets say both in sunnyvale and lathrop school there are good no of indian kids, we would prefer lathrop as it would be cheap. But I do want to hear some opinions and suggestions.

Thanks
Ravi
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2022, 07:40 PM

7,643 posts, read 4,589,722 times
Try Fremont.

Old 12-04-2022, 09:55 PM

23,511 posts, read 23,986,796 times
Milpitas, Cupertino and San Ramon in addition to Fremont.

Old 12-06-2022, 11:23 AM

7,226 posts, read 22,187,529 times
My kids (not Indian) go to a school with a fair amount of Indian families. My wife and I are fairly active with the school community and I'm not sure I've ever heard an Indian child speak in a language other than English, ever. I'm sure it happens within the home, but out in public, even hearing two adult Indians speaking a language other than English seems uncommon. Even just this morning, I was walking home through the neighborhood after getting my kids to school and I passed an Indian mother and son (maybe 5) and they were definitely speaking English to each other.

One other call out, my kids' school has ESL classes for those that are new to English, so hopefully you can find a school with a similar program. I'm always surprised how quickly kids can learn a new language, even if they are already in 3rd or 5th grade. Good luck!

Old 12-06-2022, 07:09 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Have you been to the big South Asian Saturday market in Fremont? It's held in a large parking lot. There are fresh vegetables, fruits, spices, and other grocery items, as well as an imported clothing section. You could take the kids and mix, mingle, chat with people, ask how their kids are doing in school, etc., and do a little shopping while you're at it.

Pardon my ignorance, but doesn't India have a lot of regional languages? How can you assume, that any classmates from India would have the same mother tongue as your kids?

Old 12-13-2022, 04:44 PM

487 posts, read 323,089 times
From Wikipedia:

"The Bay Area Asian Indian population is primarily concentrated in the Santa Clara Valley, with San Jose having the highest population of Asian Indians in raw numbers as 2010, while Cupertino, Hayward, Fremont, Sunnyvale and Santa Clara have the largest concentrations."

Old 02-26-2023, 05:37 AM

76 posts, read 106,928 times
Most of the school aged children of Indian descent will be primarily english speakers. They forget their mother tongue quite quickly, and may only speak it at home. Loads of indian languages spoken at home: Gujurati, Telugu, Tamil, Hindi, Punjabi, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose