Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-05-2008, 03:49 PM

3 posts, read 13,929 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I'm a recent physics graduate from the UK. I would love to move to California, and was wondering if anyone knew anything about the visa system and if this would be something possible for me to do...

I would most likely be looking for jobs in tech/IT

anyone here moved out there from europe? or know anyone that has?

Im struggling finding a website that has grad jobs in california, any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2008, 01:53 AM

42 posts, read 272,918 times
Many young foreign professionals apply for jobs under the H-1B visa process. There are a limited amount of new H-1B visas available each year (about 65,000 for 2008) that employers request from the government. A foreign professional only needs to find a company that has those visas available and is willing to hire that professional.

Hopefully the following links will be helpful.

H-1B visa - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

h1 visa jobs sponsors - Database of 20,000 American firms that offered jobs with H-1B sponsorship

H1B Visa - H1B Jobs - Work in America - USA Work Permit - Green Card - H1 Visa - US Work Visa - Immigration USA - H1B - H1-B - H-1B - Live in the USA - Job in USA - USA VISA - Work in USA

http://www.myvisajobs.com/

H1B Sponsors for USA Jobs (IT,ENGG,Medical,Accounting,Teaching)

Old 06-06-2008, 10:37 AM

That's very helpful, thanks.

I can't believe I have to pay just to access the database that lists the H1B companies though, that sucks. Is there no way to do this for free? I was thinking I might just apply to big international companies, surely they would be on the H1B list, anyone know any with their base in California? (I think Boeing, Google?, Microsoft have bases there right?)

Also I am on the right track thinking San Jose is where the tech companies are?

Old 06-06-2008, 12:28 PM

42 posts, read 272,918 times
I suspect that the H-1B database sites are a rip off. I think most silicon valley companies (both large and small) will apply for H1-B visas if they need them. Use a site such as monster.com to find the available jobs in the area and indicate that a visa is needed.

You are right, San Jose and the surrounding area contains the headquarters and main development for many hi-tech companies in the US.

Old 06-07-2008, 06:12 AM

thanks again, I will try monster.

what type of salary would a single person need to live comfortably over there? In the UK I'd be looking at £20000( $40,000) -£30,000($60,000) for a grad starting salary in the fields I'm interested in, would this be same for typical graduate jobs over there? and if so would this be enough to give same standard of living there?

Old 06-07-2008, 09:24 AM

109 posts, read 388,198 times
Pulaski's Ways: How to Live and Work in the USA : British Expat Wiki

The forums there will give you the information you need.

Old 06-17-2008, 08:35 PM

681 posts, read 2,913,185 times
Default Add this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby_1234 View Post
What type of salary would a single person need to live comfortably over there?
Re:Cost of Living. My experience after three holidays in London in the last four years is that everyday US prices for similar items are about the same in dollars as pounds. On average. For many, many items. Petrol/Gasoline is obviously in transition right now, and housing costs may differ, but even our hotel rates seemed comparable that way.

Not counting "chips", most items you are used to are available here [except for clotted cream, drat it], but UK branded items cost more here. You will be overwhelmed, though, by the diversity of brands and products - and retail shopping outlets - over here in the hinterlands. It will be an eye opener.

Cheers, whichever way you choose.

Old 06-19-2008, 05:33 PM

365 posts, read 1,419,393 times
A lot also look in Southern California, namely LA, Irvine (in Orange County) or San Diego.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose