Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-22-2009, 12:34 PM

4 posts, read 14,028 times

Advertisements

My family is possibly re-locating from Chicago to San Jose and we've narrowed it down to the following areas (at least for now):

- Campbell
- Cambrian
- Blossom Valley
- Willow Glen
- Rose Garden
- Santa Teresa
- Almaden

We have a 20 month old so we're looking for a very safe and family friendly neighborhood with good schools (both public and private). Our daughter's Godparents (good friends of ours) live in Willow Glen and we'd like to be as close to them as possible. I should also mention that we'll be renting for at least the first year until we're ready to commit to staying.

Which area would you recommend and why?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2009, 10:23 AM

1 posts, read 7,142 times
Having grown up on the border between Willow Glen and Campbell, I would say that it is a very family friendly, safe area to live in. The kids go trick-or-treating on Halloween. There is a very cute and safe downtown area in both Campbell and Willow Glen. Downtown Campbell has a farmer's market every Sunday where people take their children and walk their dogs and socialize.

The worst thing you have to worry about is that there are some busy streets, and occasionally people will take shortcuts through the neighborhoods to avoid traffic (though they've made it illegal now to do that during morning commute times)

Even with the busy streets nearby, you would be surprised how quiet and peaceful it can be.

As a teenager, I would go jogging/running at night alone with no nervousness or fear. I'm pretty sure the worst crime I've seen in the area is the occasional 'TP' incident lol...The only thing is, (though I assume you already know and have prepared for it) is that it is a bit pricier in these areas: housing, gas, food, etc. But if price is not an issue then I would strongly recommend looking into Campbell and especially Willow Glen.

One other caveat: this is a bit in the future since you only have a 20 month old, but the public schools (as in most of California) after elementary school (3rd or 4th grade) leave something to be desired...your child would be better off going to a private school. Fortunately, there are several good ones in the area, but again: decently pricey.

Hope this helps! Good luck in your move.

Old 06-23-2009, 03:20 PM

45 posts, read 283,641 times
I grew up in Almaden and went to Bret Harte/Leland High. It is a very nice family friendly area and the public schools there are excellent. The one big change is in the demographics as I notice that Leland High now has 40%+ Asians who go there. When I went, I was one of maybe 4% Asians at the school so obviously the schools are a big draw.

My parents still live there and Almaden has kept its quiet sleepy charm. Willow Glen is easy to get to (right down Almaden Expressway)

I also like the Cambrian area near Los Gatos-Almaden Road/Union Ave/Bascom as they have some excellent schools as well. If you live in the Cambrian district, you're also quite close to both Los Gatos and Campbell which have nice downtowns and again, Willow Glen is very close by. Housing is cheaper here than in Almaden.

Both Almaden and Cambrian are extremely safe.

Old 07-05-2009, 02:18 AM

515 posts, read 1,397,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nala03 View Post
My family is possibly re-locating from Chicago to San Jose and we've narrowed it down to the following areas (at least for now):

- Campbell
- Cambrian
- Blossom Valley
- Willow Glen
- Rose Garden
- Santa Teresa
- Almaden

We have a 20 month old so we're looking for a very safe and family friendly neighborhood with good schools (both public and private). Our daughter's Godparents (good friends of ours) live in Willow Glen and we'd like to be as close to them as possible. I should also mention that we'll be renting for at least the first year until we're ready to commit to staying.

Which area would you recommend and why?

Thanks.
San Jose is a really safe city. However if I had to narrow it down (and depending on what your price range is) I would recommend Willow Glen, Campbell and Almaden. All three neighborhoods have some excellent public schools and are good family neighborhoods. Of course they are also more expensive than the other areas listed (except for the Rose Garden). I've lived in Willow Glen since 1986 and it's a nice area to raise kids, expensive, but really nice.

Old 07-10-2009, 12:28 PM

2,035 posts, read 5,036,650 times
nala03,
Seeing that you will be coming from Chicago-land,..and having lived in that general region of the country myself, As someone who grew up in these areas mentioned here..Id highly suggest areas like Almaden..Very walkable/ family oriented neighborhood side of town with the best views of the local mountains..

The Willow Glen area of town is closer to downtown but has many of the charms of the Almaden area..with many streets there being lined with large,well established street trees...

The area east of the Prune yard, in Campbell, also posesses many of the same atributes of the nearby Willow Glen neighborhoods..

Another area of town to consider are the areas of Cambrian Park within the Blossom Hill Rd/ Camden Ave area( really anything south of Hwy 85 and west of Almaden Expressway.. This is an area i have the most experience with since it is where ive spent most of my years here but..Very walkable, family/children oriented neighborhoods with both a Los Gatos and Almaden feel..since each area borders this part of town...

The Santa Teressa area is also nice, especially the closer you live to the nearby hills to the south or west....Further out, say towards Oak Grove H.S., you start getting into some sometimes questionable areas...Best of luck in your decisions and welcome to the area..any other questions, feel free to send a message..

By the way..and this one is for fellow San Jose members here..why hasn't anyone started a Pictures-of-the-city thread..as so many other cities have?? we really should have one to offer..

Old 07-12-2009, 11:01 PM

6 posts, read 45,692 times
Downtown Campbell is awesome. The little downtown area is about 4 short blocks long with lots of little shops and restaraunts. Great outdoor eating on a Saturday evening. It is also very family friendly with Farmer's Market on Saturday mornings and Music in the Park on Thursday evenings in the summer. They also show movies on the side of a building in the summer on Friday evenings. In the winter they truck in a bunch of snow and close off the whole downtown, it's great. We will miss it when we leaveto North Carolina in a month. In fact, you might want to rent our home after we go. We live 1 block away from the downtown strip in a 3/2.5 townhouse. We attend the non-denominational Christian Church across the street from our house and absolutely love the people there. Campbell has a real small town feel. Send me an e-mail if you'd like more info... logan.thomas@att.net.

Also try this link: www.downtowncampbell.com/

Sincerely,
Logan Thomas
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose