Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2009, 11:16 PM

7,688 posts, read 29,148,496 times

Advertisements

I know people who do a lot worse. I work in San Jose, and I have coworkers who come in from Tracy, Modesto, and Roseville. Used to be someone who came from Los Banos, too. It boggles my mind how much people will put up with to not live in San Jose. It's not that bad, people!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2009, 10:11 AM

2,437 posts, read 8,182,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonarrat View Post
I know people who do a lot worse. I work in San Jose, and I have coworkers who come in from Tracy, Modesto, and Roseville. Used to be someone who came from Los Banos, too. It boggles my mind how much people will put up with to not live in San Jose. It's not that bad, people!!!
I had one co-worker who commuted from Santa Rosa to San Jose daily.... 2 hours (one way) at best, 4+ hours at worst. He did it for almost ten years before he burnt out. But that was back in the 90's and early 00's when that sort of thing was not unheard of at all. Even now, I would not consider the commute from Dublin to Sunnyvale 'insane', although I would not personally choose to do it daily just for a bigger housey.

Old 11-20-2009, 10:38 AM

1,310 posts, read 4,137,896 times
Quote:
Tracy, Modesto, ect, I can see that ppl would move there for the cheaper cost of living (although I would rather rent in SJ then live like that), but to move to San Ramon area means you have money to live in SJ too.

My sister and her husband lived in SR for a while, he worked in Mt. View and she worked in SF. Terrible commutes. She took BART, which by the time she was dropped off at the dublin station (7miles from there home down a dorothy blvd, or whatever its called) to the time she got down in Downtown SF to walk to work..... an hour and a half had passed. And driving to Mt. View from SR isn't pretty either.

That being said, the OP would be better off living in SJ. SR is okay, I lived with them for a semester while finishing up my BS at UC Berkeley (commuted on BART), but that town was nothing but cookie cutter homes. Literally, going to 7/11 was like 5miles away becauase you would have to drive out from the deep developments to get to the main roads. The neighbors didn't know each other, there were very few little kids. It was just a complete ghost town which nice new cookie cutter homes. By the time you get home to your nice cookie cutter home, most of the day will be over and you will be too exhausted from commuting to even really enjoy your nice home/neighborhood.

You'd be much better off living in SJ, you're quality of life will be much better... if you value your TIME more than a new cookie cutter neighborhood.

Old 11-20-2009, 12:31 PM

1,044 posts, read 2,767,790 times
Quote:
Heck, I've driven through Tracy, Modesto, and Los Banos. They are in fact substantially worse than San Jose, and I'm not even much of a fan of San Jose. So to save money they live in an ass place instead of a mediocre one, and they have an insane commute, and their house values have probably collapsed as well. Not a good trade-off in my opinion.

Old 11-21-2009, 12:17 AM

7,688 posts, read 29,148,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treedonkey View Post
I had one co-worker who commuted from Santa Rosa to San Jose daily.... 2 hours (one way) at best, 4+ hours at worst. He did it for almost ten years before he burnt out. But that was back in the 90's and early 00's when that sort of thing was not unheard of at all. Even now, I would not consider the commute from Dublin to Sunnyvale 'insane', although I would not personally choose to do it daily just for a bigger housey.
As a South Bay native, I would consider going as far out as Gilroy, myself. It isn't any cheaper in Watsonville or Hollister, and I couldn't commute over the Pacheco Pass daily, so there's really no point to going further. But I don't have to worry about kids.

Old 11-21-2009, 04:58 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,839,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treedonkey View Post
I would not consider the commute from Dublin to Sunnyvale 'insane'
I would. Unless one truly enjoys life in the car more than other means of conducting one's existence.

That whole big-house-in-NE-Bay thing's been long played out. (Ever heard kids new to a Lego-house development wondering which house is theirs?) Live near where you work.

Old 11-21-2009, 05:35 PM

1,310 posts, read 4,137,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdumbgod View Post
I would. Unless one truly enjoys life in the car more than other means of conducting one's existence.

That whole big-house-in-NE-Bay thing's been long played out. (Ever heard kids new to a Lego-house development wondering which house is theirs?) Live near where you work.
Yup. So true. I mean, San Ramon to Sunnyvale itself is what ~35-40 miles? Even without traffic that is at least a 45 minute drive (especially considering all those new San Ramon developments are like 5-7 miles from the freeway it seems). Couple that with weekday rush hour traffic... you are in a world of hurt.

Old 11-23-2009, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdumbgod View Post

You quoted me entirely out of context there.

These things are all relative. Commuting from Dublin, though not pleasant at all, but is much more doable than a commute from some place like Manteca or Tracy like so many folks were doing before the market dropped off. That said, my original advice still stands: Move to Sunnyvale if at all possible.

Old 11-23-2009, 12:16 PM

30,895 posts, read 36,946,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbunniii View Post
Heck, I've driven through Tracy, Modesto, and Los Banos. They are in fact substantially worse than San Jose, and I'm not even much of a fan of San Jose. So to save money they live in an ass place instead of a mediocre one, and they have an insane commute, and their house values have probably collapsed as well. Not a good trade-off in my opinion.
I also question how much money it really saves. When you drive that much, you are going to use a lot more gas, have higher insurance rates, be at more risk of being killed in an accident, and will wear out your vehicle in short order. You'll also probably want one of those gian SUVs instead of something more economical because you'll want to be comfortable since you essentially live in your vehicle.

Old 11-23-2009, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
I also question how much money it really saves. When you drive that much, you are going to use a lot more gas, have higher insurance rates, be at more risk of being killed in an accident, and will wear out your vehicle in short order. You'll also probably want one of those gian SUVs instead of something more economical because you'll want to be comfortable since you essentially live in your vehicle.
Also, they should factor in the amount of $$$ their time costs. For example, if you get paid $20 an hour for an eight hour workday, that's $160. But if you add in, say, an extra hour of commute time each way, you're looking at a $2.50 cut on hourly pay. Granted, that's a little skewed because unless your commute time now is zero minutes, there is already some cost there, but you get the point. Time is money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose