Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2009, 08:53 PM

1,044 posts, read 2,768,789 times

Advertisements

This is absolutely ridiculous. These were already some of the most coddled blue-collar workers in America, and now apparently the U.S. government considers them more important than the millions of others who have lost their jobs.

Also, it seems that Texas is considered to be "foreign competition" - as I understand it, that's where Toyota is moving the work that used to be done at NUMMI.

Nummi workers to get federal assistance

"Nummi, which had been co-owned by General Motors and Toyota until it became a casualty of the auto industry collapse, was declared a victim of foreign competition, making workers eligible for Trade Adjustment Assistance, Labor Secretary Hilda Solis said today.

The assistance announced today makes Nummi workers eligible for up to 130 weeks of unemployment compensation as long as they are enrolled in a state-approved job-retraining program. That could be extended for up to 26 weeks if the individual also needs remedial educational courses."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2009, 11:08 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,680,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbunniii View Post
This is absolutely ridiculous. These were already some of the most coddled blue-collar workers in America, and now apparently the U.S. government considers them more important than the millions of others who have lost their jobs.

Also, it seems that Texas is considered to be "foreign competition" - as I understand it, that's where Toyota is moving the work that used to be done at NUMMI.

"Nummi, which had been co-owned by General Motors and Toyota until it became a casualty of the auto industry collapse, was declared a victim of foreign competition, making workers eligible for Trade Adjustment Assistance, Labor Secretary Hilda Solis said today.

The assistance announced today makes Nummi workers eligible for up to 130 weeks of unemployment compensation as long as they are enrolled in a state-approved job-retraining program. That could be extended for up to 26 weeks if the individual also needs remedial educational courses."
What specifically makes the NUMMI workers some of the most coddled blue-collar workers in America?

The ones I know... no relation to me Are very dedicated. They were the type that would come in on their own dime nights and weekends to facilitate Model Year change overs...

NUMMI also contributed a lot through it's workforce to the community... anything from the United Way to civic projects in Fremont... the workers donated vehicles to the city and to the DARE program.

I think the plants closing is very sad and the effects will be felt for years to come... once it's gone, it's not coming back.

NUMMI will cease to exist and the jobs are going to Toyota workers...

The retraining program is not new and workers that avail themselves of retraining are only working within the existing program...

It's a tough situation no matter how you look at it...

Last edited by Ultrarunner; 11-25-2009 at 03:42 PM.. Reason: TYPO

Old 11-25-2009, 03:15 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,406,112 times
I agree NUMMI workers were not coddled. However, the plant's shut down is an inevitable result of our new draconian enviro Nazi regs. What shut them down was a combination of CO2 and VOC. Compliance would have broken the bank. Better to shut down and relo to TX. As for the workers, maybe a tax break would be a good idea. Didn't the feds say they'd help workers cope with the impacts of their own pending CO2 regs? Good chance to demonstrate some early good faith (he typed semi cynically).

Old 11-27-2009, 01:35 AM

9,197 posts, read 16,845,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaHillbilly View Post
our new draconian enviro Nazi regs.
Yeah - we wouldn't want to breath or anything.

Old 11-27-2009, 02:38 PM

30,896 posts, read 36,965,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdumbgod View Post
Yeah - we wouldn't want to breath or anything.
What a bunch of BS!! The air quality in the Bay Area and the US has been getting better for 30+ years now. Too many people worry about the wrong things.

Old 11-27-2009, 03:15 PM

1,229 posts, read 3,246,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
What a bunch of BS!! The air quality in the Bay Area and the US has been getting better for 30+ years now. Too many people worry about the wrong things.
Correct, pretty much entirely because of the government regulations that BAHB was complaining about. Clean environments don't happen on their own these days . . .

Old 11-29-2009, 02:03 AM

14,317 posts, read 22,388,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbunniii View Post

CA stands to benefit a great deal from the Obama administration. No surprise here.

Old 11-29-2009, 12:13 PM

13 posts, read 52,716 times
I work for Toyota's Canadian plant which also builds the Corolla and Matrix (Vibe). While I'm fortunate enough to still have my job, my income went down 30% this past year with lost days, lost overtime and bonuses. Not to mention that I lost over 20% on the value of my retirement savings. It was a big financial hit for me that I'm still recovering from but that is nothing compared to what the NUMMI workers must be facing. Don't give them a handout, but a hand up. Most people who work in car plants give a lot of themselves just to do the job. They only show the clean, high seniority jobs on TV. Most jobs in a car plant involve a lot of walking, lifting, painting and welding at a very quick and continuous pace each and every day. Most leave work at the end of the day physically drained but they do it to try to give thier families a better life. They went about things the right way, work hard and you'll get ahead. Give them a chance to get retrained now for jobs that are in demand. If these workers are all suddenly unemployed, you'll start seeing more families losing their house. California is about to lose a lot of tax revenue when those jobs are gone, so it makes sense to try to replace as much of it as possible, as quickly as possible and keep families in their homes. We Canadians are doing OK now but we and everyone else will do a lot better when America gets back on track. The way to do that is to get people working again.

Old 11-30-2009, 11:21 AM

9,197 posts, read 16,845,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
What a bunch of BS!! The air quality in the Bay Area and the US has been getting better for 30+ years now.
Better than what - suck? Have a look at either side of the valley during rush hour. And recite the famous L.A. line: "You can't trust air you can't see".

Old 12-02-2009, 03:19 PM

850 posts, read 1,546,636 times
If the Govt is gonna give Nummi workers assistance, then it should be handed around to everyone else that has been laid off at other jobs also. I don't care who you are or what you do, you chose to keep that job for 20 yrs. Technology has evolved and if you can't keep up its no one's fault but your own.

Jobs aren't loyal like they were to our parents that have retired. It sucks to see thousands of workers laid off, but tell that to the companies that laid off thousands over the past few years....any assistance to them?

Starting over is no joke, and I have been there and I made sure that I kept up with what you need to know to get a job in this market TODAY. Those jobs were lucrative back in the day before Detriot took a dump and look at them now? The city is desolate. Car companies were taking a hit for a while now...I would have been making some type of plan to start learning something else JUST IN CASE because to start over in this market sucks, so if all you know how to do is BUILD CARS...GOD HELP YOU!

In this economy..NO ONE IS SAFE...not my job or anyone else's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
View detailed profiles of: