Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-04-2010, 10:03 AM

244 posts, read 629,341 times

Advertisements

Hi!

This August 2010 I am strongly considering moving to the California State, mostly in the San Francisco Bay area. No when I mention Bay Area, I am talking about either SF, or San Jose/Santa Clara area. I currently live in Montreal, Canada and I am 21 years old, I will be turning 22 in Sept '10.

I am very interested on becoming a Talent Agent (DJs and Artists) since I know the nightlife scene is strong in the Bay area, but my main goal first is to find a college that offers courses in Global Media/Marketing. As I always wanted to put to the test my brains with Marketing and Media, I am not putting away the Computer Science course also. I am in a dilemma right now, but that's not the important part. this upcoming February, I will be vising LA and SF area and visit colleges and campus tours as well several areas I mentioned earlier and see it for myself.

I have good friends in the bay area, mostly radio hosts, djs and in the tech world, so at least I have contacts. Of course, I am realistic when I know making such a big move is not a fairytale, I know that rainy days will be ahead of me, but im ready for this adventure. And I know all about the Visas process, I will get 2 (one for work and one for student)

If I could get as many replies as possible to really get a better picture of everything, it would be great help!

Basically my main questions are:

- Cost of living? (I will have money with me, but what amount do you think is good?)

- Jobs? (Positive note, I do not pay taxes if I am not an american right?)

- College? I know certain colleges tuition vary, anyone has an idea with the ones I mentioned?

- Life in general for a 22 year old in Cali, single, no family out there, as I am leaving everything behind to start a new life

Colleges I found so far
San Francisco University / University of SF / City College of SF / San Jose City College / Mission College in Santa Clara
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2010, 11:25 AM

7,688 posts, read 29,152,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MathieuL View Post
Hi!

This August 2010 I am strongly considering moving to the California State, mostly in the San Francisco Bay area. No when I mention Bay Area, I am talking about either SF, or San Jose/Santa Clara area. I currently live in Montreal, Canada and I am 21 years old, I will be turning 22 in Sept '10.

I am very interested on becoming a Talent Agent (DJs and Artists) since I know the nightlife scene is strong in the Bay area, but my main goal first is to find a college that offers courses in Global Media/Marketing. As I always wanted to put to the test my brains with Marketing and Media, I am not putting away the Computer Science course also. I am in a dilemma right now, but that's not the important part. this upcoming February, I will be vising LA and SF area and visit colleges and campus tours as well several areas I mentioned earlier and see it for myself.

I have good friends in the bay area, mostly radio hosts, djs and in the tech world, so at least I have contacts. Of course, I am realistic when I know making such a big move is not a fairytale, I know that rainy days will be ahead of me, but im ready for this adventure. And I know all about the Visas process, I will get 2 (one for work and one for student)

If I could get as many replies as possible to really get a better picture of everything, it would be great help!

Basically my main questions are:

- Cost of living? (I will have money with me, but what amount do you think is good?)
Enough to pay a minimum of $1500 a month indefinitely for living expenses, and that's if you don't have a car.

Quote:
- Jobs? (Positive note, I do not pay taxes if I am not an american right?)
LOL, yes you do. If you make money here you owe income tax. San Francisco's economy was not as hard hit as the outskirts of the Bay Area, but the market is still super competitive, and good paying entry-level jobs are notoriously difficult to come by even in good times. Most people work elsewhere for a while before even thinking about breaking into the competitive Bay Area market.

Quote:
- College? I know certain colleges tuition vary, anyone has an idea with the ones I mentioned?
USF is a private school, $35K a year. SJCC, CCSF and Mission College are two-year community colleges, which are inexpensive but will require a transfer to a full four-year university if you want a bachelor's degree. San Francisco State University (I'm assuming that's what you meant) is a public four-year college; tuition depends on your course load. A full 16-unit per semester course load would run about $15K a year for a California non-resident, which you would be at least at first. Once California residency is established that drops to around $4K.

Old 01-04-2010, 04:31 PM

83 posts, read 228,385 times
I think nightlife is much stronger in LA area...

Old 01-04-2010, 05:49 PM

244 posts, read 629,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonarrat View Post
Enough to pay a minimum of $1500 a month indefinitely for living expenses, and that's if you don't have a car.

LOL, yes you do. If you make money here you owe income tax. San Francisco's economy was not as hard hit as the outskirts of the Bay Area, but the market is still super competitive, and good paying entry-level jobs are notoriously difficult to come by even in good times. Most people work elsewhere for a while before even thinking about breaking into the competitive Bay Area market.

USF is a private school, $35K a year. SJCC, CCSF and Mission College are two-year community colleges, which are inexpensive but will require a transfer to a full four-year university if you want a bachelor's degree. San Francisco State University (I'm assuming that's what you meant) is a public four-year college; tuition depends on your course load. A full 16-unit per semester course load would run about $15K a year for a California non-resident, which you would be at least at first. Once California residency is established that drops to around $4K.
- What is the difference between a private and public college? Why would I need 4 years of University if I want a Bachelor? Is it the same with a private college?

- How can I become a California resident? Do I need to become American or can I simply get a california resident card while staying Canadian?

- A car is def a need, I will get one once I get there

Quote:
Originally Posted by cksean View Post
I think nightlife is much stronger in LA area...
it is, but I got great contacts in the Bay Area, so I was thinking about possibly do Talent Management bookings for DJs and Artists

Old 01-04-2010, 10:20 PM

7,688 posts, read 29,152,138 times
Quote:
- What is the difference between a private and public college? Why would I need 4 years of University if I want a Bachelor? Is it the same with a private college?
Bachelor's degree typically takes 4 years, but it can be done faster. I chose a very heavy major, I could have graduated a year earlier if it wasn't for all the required classes.. a public college is one that's supported by taxpayer dollars, and they almost always have much lower tuition rates than private colleges.

Quote:
- How can I become a California resident? Do I need to become American or can I simply get a california resident card while staying Canadian?
For a private college, it won't matter. For a public college, they may consider you eligible for California resident tuition rates after a year (check the rules for the CSU system). It has nothing to do with your legal citizenship.

Old 01-09-2010, 11:46 PM

18 posts, read 42,741 times
Quote:
It depends on your life style. I could live with $1500/month when I first moved to the Bay Area.

Quote:
- Jobs?
Local unemployment rate is 10-11% so good luck.

Quote:
- I do not pay taxes if I am not an american right?
Wrong.

Quote:
Tuition depends on how many unit you will take. Since you will be paying cash for it, I guess you can take as many as you want. Go to the college website and look for out of state tuition. Most schools don't charge foreign student higher than out of state student.

Quote:
- Life in general for a 22 year old in Cali, single, no family out there, as I am leaving everything behind to start a new life
Life gonna be suck because you will be working your ass off to meet the needs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonarrat View Post
For a private college, it won't matter. For a public college, they may consider you eligible for California resident tuition rates after a year (check the rules for the CSU system). It has nothing to do with your legal citizenship.
In-state tuition is for US permanent residents or American citizens only. Beside, that person need to meet state residency requirements too.

Old 01-10-2010, 10:10 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,839,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xixonmn View Post
Life gonna be suck because you will be working your ass off to meet the needs.
Geez, "Life gonna suck" with a grinning smilie? Surely there's some kind of hope here?

Just gotta get creative managing to live better with less. Like, not feeling a burning urge to "see and be seen" at Santana Row. Easy, no?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose