Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-05-2010, 03:11 PM

31 posts, read 85,694 times

Advertisements

hi,

just wondering what teachers thought about taking student loans for a school to get my teaching credential? I will be taking a total of about 40K of student loans for the 2 years it will take me to finish school.

Any thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2010, 04:00 PM

52 posts, read 193,642 times
Wow, $40,000 is a large amount for a teaching credential. I was a teacher for five years, and based on my experience, I really do not recommend taking on that much in student loans. Teaching in the public schools does not pay very much (and I have heard private schools don't pay too much either) - especially in relation to the cost of living of this area. At the very least, I recommend getting a credential from a California State University like SJSU, which used to take less than two years I think and hopefully is much cheaper.

Is this for a private school? Will you get a masters degree out of it? Maybe the only exception I would make is if this was for Stanford, you could get an MA out of it, and it opened you up to other possibilities beyond teaching, if needed.

Hope that helps!

Old 05-05-2010, 04:22 PM

7,372 posts, read 16,014,058 times
I'd say that's a gamble that might not pay off. Now, if you want to be a speech pathologist, your odds of landing a decent paying job would be a lot greater.

Old 05-05-2010, 08:02 PM

6,824 posts, read 9,058,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snort View Post
I'd say that's a gamble that might not pay off. Now, if you want to be a speech pathologist, your odds of landing a decent paying job would be a lot greater.
Hi Snort, are you in the field of speech pathology, or do you know someone who is? I've thought about switching to speech pathology to IT.

Old 05-06-2010, 12:18 AM

31 posts, read 85,694 times
I am actually living in NYC and trying to decide between staying here for school or going back to San Jose to live with my parents and attend SJSU. I will be getting my Masters at Hunter College in New York. I have also been accepted to SJSU's program but the Masters program was full so it will be just the Multiple Subject Credential. The tuition costs even out as I will be a non-Cali resident for one semester if I were to attend SJSU. Its just the living costs of nyc that would increase the amount of student loans.

Old 05-06-2010, 03:10 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,760,768 times
Don't do it! That will take many years to pay off, and you should be able to get teaching credentials cheaper than that. I have been paying on $27k for my wife and myself for 15 years, and I still owe $12k. It is very hard to pay them down with midlife expenses (mortgage, cars, kids college, etc.,etc.) and a teacher's salary.

Old 05-08-2010, 04:14 AM

16,391 posts, read 30,928,953 times
As a current college student with loans i'm going to advise you against this. Loans don't seem like much til you get in the mess and realize what you are in for. The cheap route is seriously the best route!

Old 05-11-2010, 10:14 AM

13,044 posts, read 13,865,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zitsky View Post
Hi Snort, are you in the field of speech pathology, or do you know someone who is? I've thought about switching to speech pathology to IT.
One of my good friends is a speech pathologist for the Saratoga Union School District.

It takes a special kind of caring person to do the job. It can be emotionally draining, but also rewarding.

Recognize you'll work with many autistic children & their anxious & sometimes ashamed parents.

The great news is you can get a job just about anywhere anytime. You won't get rich, but you'll likely never be laid off either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose