Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Santa Fe
 [Register]
Santa Fe Santa Fe County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2013, 08:51 PM

380 posts, read 653,039 times

Advertisements

There was a rattler smack on the trail on Picacho tonight. 7pm-ish. My dog sensed it early and fell behind me (which he never does). I tossed a few rocks at it, heard the rattle, and turned the other way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2014, 11:20 PM

2 posts, read 3,923 times
I live in Santa Fe and just had dinner with a friend from Eldorado (10 mi south of Santa Fe) and yesterday she saw 1 adult and 1 baby rattlesnake near her porch while she was in her Jacuzzi. She took pictures and they looked like Western Diamondbacks.

Old 05-05-2014, 11:21 PM

2 posts, read 3,923 times
The pink snake is a gopher snake.

Old 06-07-2014, 12:31 AM

6 posts, read 13,728 times
I lived in Santa Fe in a very nice apartment property which backed up to an arroyo and yes....snakes crawled up from the arroyo into the grassy areas around the apartments. No worries about tornadoes or blizzards....but it does snow...sometimes quite a bit.

Old 06-20-2014, 01:19 PM

2 posts, read 2,954 times
Default snakes

Snakes only look for shade in the summer, I hate to say it, but I have talked to people in albq that have found some in their garages, so keep your garage closed and for being safe reasons too. A friend of mine lives in Edgewood in the mtns and she has some property and had to call the society that gets snakes and had two at different times on her proprty......After all you are in high desert.......Also I was working at a small grocery store in Placitas during the summer and a tiny scorpion ran in front of my feet....but never seen any since. One thing kind of a comical huge bird is the road runner, very agressive bird, and I had two across the street from me, but if you try and feed them they go for it out of your hand.....I looked up that bird on wikapedia and it said they take on eating rattlesnakes and scorpions in their diet......so that tells you about that bird.....Don't worry I go up to Santa Fe all the time from Abq and don't even think about snakes......

Old 05-18-2015, 10:40 AM

1,836 posts, read 3,167,339 times
My husband just saw this snake while walking in Rancho Viejo. He did not stick around long enough to see if was a rattler.
Considering A Relocation To The Santa Fe Area - Concerned Snakes In Santa Fe Area-rancho-viego-snake-may-2015.jpg

Old 06-06-2015, 07:19 PM

4,713 posts, read 3,472,599 times
There are lots of snakes in the southern part of the state where I live (especially in the new developments in the desert (we ARE in the desert) with disruption of habitats). I've a couple of friends who step out onto their new patios and are surprised by rattlers. Personally I have seen 'signs' of a snake on my patio (snake poo!) but there ARE also snakes as far north as Albuquerque. I think there must be snakes near Santa Fe. How could there not be? Snakes live all over New Mexico.

I have lived here most of my life and the FIRST time I saw a rattler (outside of a zoo) was about 8 years ago driving between Socorro and Albuquerque in October. I wanted photos of the mountains and pulled off the road to the shoulder and then backed up a bit to get a good shot. I got out of the car, snapped my picture and turned to get back into my car. I stepped on something and looking down found my sandaled foot atop a rattler. I had run over him and backed over him and then stepped on him. He was dead. I snapped a picture. There are no words for my shock. I have never since pulled off the highway. True story. I have seen snakes crawling across the road or squashed in the roads.

A fear of snakes is not unusual. In fact, I think most people are afraid of them and should be, as well as be cautious and most of all educated. Get a snake bite kit as soon as you move here and stock up on your home supplies. Wouldn't hurt to add some natural remedies to your first aid kit as well such as: oil of oregano; activated charcoal, echinacea. Google snake bites, snakes in NM/Santa Fe and you'll find lots of information. Everyone here should have this covered. You shouldn't worry about it unless you are out in the 'wild'...and on the shoulder of the highway. You'll be fine and you'll love Santa Fe!

Old 06-09-2015, 07:50 AM

1,324 posts, read 2,511,249 times
I don't believe they recommend snake bite kits anymore. Usually rattlesnakes give a warning but it never hurts to be cautious. Sadly many people kill non poisonous snakes needlessly, without snakes we would be over run with rodents. Live and let live unless you are in danger.

Old 06-09-2015, 02:08 PM

1,043 posts, read 1,452,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tangelag View Post
There are lots of snakes in the southern part of the state where I live (especially in the new developments in the desert (we ARE in the desert) with disruption of habitats). I've a couple of friends who step out onto their new patios and are surprised by rattlers. Personally I have seen 'signs' of a snake on my patio (snake poo!) but there ARE also snakes as far north as Albuquerque. I think there must be snakes near Santa Fe. How could there not be? Snakes live all over New Mexico.

I have lived here most of my life and the FIRST time I saw a rattler (outside of a zoo) was about 8 years ago driving between Socorro and Albuquerque in October. I wanted photos of the mountains and pulled off the road to the shoulder and then backed up a bit to get a good shot. I got out of the car, snapped my picture and turned to get back into my car. I stepped on something and looking down found my sandaled foot atop a rattler. I had run over him and backed over him and then stepped on him. He was dead. I snapped a picture. There are no words for my shock. I have never since pulled off the highway. True story. I have seen snakes crawling across the road or squashed in the roads.

A fear of snakes is not unusual. In fact, I think most people are afraid of them and should be, as well as be cautious and most of all educated. Get a snake bite kit as soon as you move here and stock up on your home supplies. Wouldn't hurt to add some natural remedies to your first aid kit as well such as: oil of oregano; activated charcoal, echinacea. Google snake bites, snakes in NM/Santa Fe and you'll find lots of information. Everyone here should have this covered. You shouldn't worry about it unless you are out in the 'wild'...and on the shoulder of the highway. You'll be fine and you'll love Santa Fe!
I've worked along highway right-of-ways several times and the edge of the blacktop was always the best place to find snakes. They like them because there tends to be denser vegetation there for hunting and hiding and because the blacktop soaks up solar energy to help warm them up.

Old 06-13-2015, 11:51 AM

4,713 posts, read 3,472,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsmw47 View Post
I don't believe they recommend snake bite kits anymore. Usually rattlesnakes give a warning but it never hurts to be cautious. Sadly many people kill non poisonous snakes needlessly, without snakes we would be over run with rodents. Live and let live unless you are in danger.
Oh! Sorry, I didn't know snake bite kits are no longer recommended. I'd hate to give misinformation, so please disregard my recommendation and find more current information.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Santa Fe