Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Santa Fe
 [Register]
Santa Fe Santa Fe County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2011, 03:45 PM

1,557 posts, read 3,306,781 times

Advertisements

I like New Mexico quite a lot. Santa Fe is nice but it looks overly affected and cutesy in trying to capture the tourist dollar. Are the any parts of the city where it is mostly older pueblo homes, local southwest, mexican resturants that are affordable. NO cutesy trinket shops,Neighborhood stores that sell useful things for local people, working class sensibilities, Places where people sit outdoors, hang, and have a beer with their neighbors?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2011, 04:28 PM

3,605 posts, read 9,060,634 times
I'm guessing you didn't venture far from the plaza area.

Santa fe is pretty much a normal working city that happens to be seeped in history and has a strong tourist economy. There are working class neighborhoods, golf course gated developments and everything in between. Plenty of shopping for locals as well good restaurants that don't break the bank.

Old 07-01-2011, 10:20 AM

1,557 posts, read 3,306,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogmama50 View Post
I'm guessing you didn't venture far from the plaza area.

Santa fe is pretty much a normal working city that happens to be seeped in history and has a strong tourist economy. There are working class neighborhoods, golf course gated developments and everything in between. Plenty of shopping for locals as well good restaurants that don't break the bank.
True, I did not venture to far from the plaza. I got as far on foot to the rail yard area near tomasitas. Very good food may I add. Can you be more specific as to what parts of town are more working class non cutesy tourist areas?

Old 07-01-2011, 10:59 AM

713 posts, read 1,846,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matzoman View Post
True, I did not venture to far from the plaza. I got as far on foot to the rail yard area near tomasitas. Very good food may I add. Can you be more specific as to what parts of town are more working class non cutesy tourist areas?
Everywhere south and west of downtown. North and East of downtown are mostly upper class, second home types of areas, although there are some older residents also.

Old 07-01-2011, 11:23 AM

332 posts, read 1,035,848 times
I'd suggest you look around Agua Fria, Rodeo Road, the Rose Garden district, and around the golf course off Airport Road.

Old 07-01-2011, 04:17 PM

713 posts, read 1,846,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by santafescribe View Post
I'd suggest you look around Agua Fria, Rodeo Road, the Rose Garden district, and around the golf course off Airport Road.
If traffic bothers you, stay away from Airport Rd. It is horrible. The traffic is thick and moves slowly. When I bought ten years ago and my realtor asked me where to look, I told her anywhere but Airport Rd. I go crazy trying to get to my brother's or nephew's houses in that area.

Old 07-03-2011, 05:55 AM

1,569 posts, read 3,402,753 times
Aren't they suppose to be redoing more sections of Airport Road? I live a little north of Airport but avoid it as much as I can. Yesterday I went to the Southside Library and had a scare when a woman trying to make a left turn onto Airport came out too fast to go into the suicide lane to wait until she could move into traffic and overcorrected and almost came back into my lane. It would have been a headon. I'll be glad when they get rid of that center lane. Next time I'll take other roads to the library and stay off Airport. I avoid Cerrillos too but at least it has no suicide lane.

Old 07-16-2011, 01:13 PM

66 posts, read 281,187 times
I am going to be driving from Northern virginia to the grand canyon this summer and will be staying overnight in ABQ on the way. I would like to see Santa fe for a day. Any suggestions on places not to be missed? I know I will only have a day to explore and it's not much, but I am interested in places that are not tourist traps. I am along the same route as matzoman, anymore suggestions about where to go? places not to be misseD?

Old 07-17-2011, 07:05 AM

1,569 posts, read 3,402,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilacdeming View Post
I am going to be driving from Northern virginia to the grand canyon this summer and will be staying overnight in ABQ on the way. I would like to see Santa fe for a day. Any suggestions on places not to be missed? I know I will only have a day to explore and it's not much, but I am interested in places that are not tourist traps. I am along the same route as matzoman, anymore suggestions about where to go? places not to be misseD?
You could go to the Walmart. You will get a look at local life there. Why go to places that you can find anywhere? If it's interesting the tourists will be there. I would take the RailRunner from ABQ so you can enjoy the scenery and then walk around the plaza area or head to Museum Hill. I love the Folk Art Museum. Walk up Canyon Road and check out the hundreds of galleries and then find the most comfortable porch swing ever at the Historical Society's garden. Actually I hardly ever share the swing with a tourist.

Old 07-23-2011, 01:27 PM

462 posts, read 1,009,347 times
I am looking at a house for sale in the area boundaried by Cerrillos and Airport Rd.... more closely boundaried by Jaguar Drive and Paseo del Sol. It looks to be an older adobe house. Could I get some insights into this neighborhood. We haven't been up to take a look yet. It has no garage (of course) and just wondering if that is a "safe" neighborhood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Santa Fe