Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Santa Fe
 [Register]
Santa Fe Santa Fe County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-15-2011, 05:10 PM

6 posts, read 12,829 times

Advertisements

I am traveling to Santa Fe for the first time...my travel time is flexible. The reason behind this trip is one regarding relocation to the Santa Fe or Taos region due to business.

When would be a good time to travel to this region? Are there any "big weeks" that I should avoid due to tourist traffic...I'm trying to get a feel for what it would be like to actually live there. Weather conditions rarely bother me, by the way, so I do expect heat, altitude, chilly nights...or not...typical of desert-y places.

My family lived in this area decades ago, so I only have very old poignant stories to go by! Of course, I realize that everything has changed, but it is an exciting consideration to think of living here!

Thank you for any and all advice!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2011, 12:41 AM

560 posts, read 1,715,244 times
I'd really recommend October if at all possible. The summers here are busy and for some reason places here don't turn on their air conditioning. The Fall is my favorite time of year here.

Old 07-13-2011, 10:17 AM

888 posts, read 1,186,839 times
+1 October

Old 07-13-2011, 10:15 PM

713 posts, read 1,846,075 times
Late September-Early October. Absolutely the best time.

Old 07-14-2011, 09:02 AM

2,253 posts, read 6,986,755 times
Wink Late August - or later

I concur; autumn would be the best time to visit. If confined to the July/August timeframe, then make it as late in August as possible.

There are a number of reasons, with weather one. Summer is a lovely time, and desirable if you like afternoon thunderstorms. But autumn is arguably the nicest across the Rocky Mountain West, with clear warm days, cool nights, and a certain ethereal feel to the transition from summer to winter. Also in time (and in late August only hints at the highest elevations) such change reflected in the vivid colors of aspen and other vegetation as they begin to loose their leafs. All in all, a good time to enjoy such a place.

Another benefit later in the season will be the heavy influx of tourists having appreciably dissipated. The onset of school (possibly mid-August there) will see kids and their families forced to retreat. If one enjoys activity and crowds, then by all means make it July, otherwise a bit later will be more serene. Not coincidentally, one will also discover the availability and pricing of lodging better.

As far as business is concerned, Taos and Santa Fe are not much the same. They both share in common about the same elevation (7,000 feet), and also relative isolation and diminutive sizes in comparison to Albuquerque. Especially Taos. If this business can be conducted from most anyplace you like, then no matter, but otherwise the practicalities of market size and location may be deciding factors.

As an artist, one would be fine in either local.

Old 07-15-2011, 07:20 AM

96 posts, read 261,796 times
I agree with everyone else - September/October is your best time to visit. The tourists are down a little after school starts. Also, Spanish Market and Indian Market are in late summer (I think) and you should avoid that. And, most importantly, it is the most awesome time of year. I love the perfect weather (mostly), the smell of roasting chile, the smell of pinon burning (in fireplaces), and the trees turning color. It's simply a beautiful time of year. I will say; however, it is tough to grasp what Santa Fe is in just a couple visits. It's one of those places that takes a while to get to know and then you get really hooked.
Have a great trip.

Old 07-23-2011, 08:21 PM

48 posts, read 89,901 times
Only thing I would add is that monsoon season (July/August) is awesome for the light show. It's like having a national park come to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Santa Fe