Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Santa Fe
 [Register]
Santa Fe Santa Fe County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2011, 08:52 AM

1,836 posts, read 3,167,940 times

Advertisements

Ok, this has bugged me for a while, and I figure someone on this forum may know...

Does anyone know why are there 2 Whole Foods stores in Santa Fe, so close together? They are less than a mile apart. This just seems really weird to me. I could understand if maybe they were on different sides of town or something.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2011, 09:28 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,773,200 times
One of them has been there almost 20 years...

Maybe zoning laws? Maybe they could not make one big one? Maybe some people are just strange shoppers? Maybe they carry different products? Just a guess...

Maybe Whole Foods and Wild Oats are merging?:
Thursday, February 22, 2007

So Whole Foods and Wild Oats are merging..... This has created controversy in Santa Fe where Wild Oats customers are not pleased.
Choosing Santa Fe: Whole Foods and Wild Oats

Go to Seattle, if you like Starbucks you can sit at one and see another across the street...

Rich

Old 07-06-2011, 09:02 PM

713 posts, read 1,846,199 times
The one on St. Francis Dr. used to be Wild Oats Market until Whole Foods bought them out.

Old 07-13-2011, 12:37 AM

560 posts, read 1,715,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
Go to Seattle, if you like Starbucks you can sit at one and see another across the street...
LOL... we have that in Santa Fe now too... from the Starbucks on Zafarano you can see the new one on Cerillos. I suppose you might also be able to see both of them from the Albertsons... which has also has a Starbucks in it.

Old 07-15-2011, 03:59 PM

12,039 posts, read 6,570,692 times
The reason is because of the high demand.
Santa Fe is extremely health-food conscious.
It's called health-food alley starting with the Sunflower market and the Co-op then the Farmer's Market, then both Whole Foods, then Trader Joes, and a ways down Cerrillos is Natural Grocers and then another Sunflower Market. I probably missed some.

Old 09-02-2011, 10:58 PM

10 posts, read 29,454 times
It was simply a matter of Whole Foods buying out Wild Oats that used to be housed in that building years ago. Actually I prefer the Whole Foods on St. Francis Dr. It is much calmer and more enjoyable to shop than the madness of the other one.

Old 10-09-2011, 05:40 PM

62 posts, read 175,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfsunst View Post
It was simply a matter of Whole Foods buying out Wild Oats that used to be housed in that building years ago. Actually I prefer the Whole Foods on St. Francis Dr. It is much calmer and more enjoyable to shop than the madness of the other one.
I agree! For some reason the WF on Cerrillos is a total madhouse all the time. Always busy, always a nightmare parking lot, always lines. The one on St. Francis is quieter, less busy, and the parking lot isn't a death trap.

Old 02-27-2015, 09:55 PM

27 posts, read 48,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julie Ruin View Post
I agree! For some reason the WF on Cerrillos is a total madhouse all the time. Always busy, always a nightmare parking lot, always lines. The one on St. Francis is quieter, less busy, and the parking lot isn't a death trap.

Sorry for the thread bump but this one comes up again and again. The Cerillos store exceeded expectations so much with all the business it got that when Whole Foods bought Wild Oats they saw an opportunity to offer a relief valve for customers tired of dealing with the parking and crowds at Cerillos. So instead of closing it like so many other Wild Oats stores, they kept it open and ultimately branded the store as a Whole Foods.

Wild Oats shoppers shouldn't give up all hope though: the Wild Oats label was sold to an operator in California and many of the Wild Oats brand items like olive oil are back on shelves at stores including Walmart. Rumor has it that billionaire Ron Burkle who bought the failed west coast Fresh and Easy chain from Tescos is thinking of opening them under the Wild Oats name. If that happens and the stores do well maybe Wild Oats will come back to SF!

Last edited by FiletOFish; 02-27-2015 at 10:07 PM..

Old 04-30-2015, 10:44 AM

22 posts, read 51,210 times
Because you can't ever have enough overpriced food.

Old 04-30-2015, 04:08 PM

430 posts, read 835,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theylphonida View Post
Because you can't ever have enough overpriced food.
Once you have enough money, health is worth any price.
(And yes, it's healthier to not eat as many pesticides as you'll find at the non-organic places.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Santa Fe