Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Santa Fe
 [Register]
Santa Fe Santa Fe County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-19-2011, 06:08 AM

1,789 posts, read 4,341,033 times

Advertisements

Only there in Santa Fe for 3 days and was wondering if driving to the el Rancho de las Golondrinas was worth it. Staying in the historic district and kind of wanted to park car and not move until we leave to go to Chama for another week. I thought I might just take the city tour in santa fe and then go to the Railroad market. Is it worth driving 25 miles to this Open Air Museum as they call it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2011, 06:18 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,741,161 times
If you are going to one of the events there it is worth it. We drive there from the Albuquerque area. It is a real historical area.

Las Golondrinas - By Mike Horrell
//www.city-data.com/forum/new-m...poncho_nm.html
//www.city-data.com/forum/santa...ziaairmac.html
Rich

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 09-19-2011 at 06:28 AM..

Old 09-19-2011, 07:59 AM

Looking at their calendar, it doesn't look like any events going on. Probably because Santa Fe is having a wine and chili fest. I wish I had picked a different week because everything seems to be about that festival. I was trying to find things to do in Santa Fe. Only there for 3 days before going to our yearly cabin at Corkins Lodge in Chama.

Is it worth going without an event going on?

Old 09-19-2011, 12:11 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,741,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by debbie at bouontiful View Post
Is it worth going without an event going on?
I have not been while an event was not going on. So I'm not sure who is there, for example they have a blacksmith, women dying wool which was sheered there at the farm, some baking, they have a water mill where they mill their own flour, a small school house with a teacher who expalins the history.

Their web site said it takes 2 hours to walk around, we are senior citizens and did not have time to see all the buildings when we went. The last time we went was Aug 1, 2009 and it was a bit hot. We also went one or two years before that.

We keep planning on going back when it is cooler, even if just to walk around. So, for us it is worth going without an event...

Here is my slideshow with 292 photos from the 2009 visit, there was a horse show that day, we were there over four hours: El Rancho de las Golondrinas - Slide Show

Rich

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 07-10-2014 at 03:27 PM..

Old 09-19-2011, 01:22 PM

Thanks, pretty horses that would have been fun for us being we have gaited horses ourselves.

Old 09-19-2011, 04:35 PM

5,013 posts, read 7,401,352 times
I would say it's worth it, but there are many other things to do in Santa Fe that are also worth it, so it depends mostly what you're into. In other words, you shouldn't be wanting for things to do in and around Santa Fe, but if you're into the historical reenactment type of thing then you shouldn't miss it.

Old 09-20-2011, 05:51 AM

Oh I'll spend most of my time in the historic district. This is our second trip and I figure after a few days I'll try something else. We will then spend a day at ghost ranch area before going to our cabin in Chama for a week. But your right, one could just live in the historic district. Haven't spent any time over at the Railroad yard so I will this trip. Last time I took the Hyde Park trip and hiked up there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Santa Fe