Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Santa Fe
 [Register]
Santa Fe Santa Fe County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2012, 04:17 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,971,677 times

Advertisements

Planning a weekend to Santa Fe in 2 weeks. What's on your must see list?

We plan to visit art galleries and hang out downtown.

1. Not interested in winter sports
2. Not renting a car
3. We love trying new and interesting food

So we are pretty open, other than planning to use transit or walk to get to places. We are staying within a few blocks of the downtown Plaza.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2012, 05:17 PM

3,011 posts, read 10,041,938 times
The New Mexico History Museum (just off the Plaza) is a must see.

By "new and interesting food" do you mean New Mexican cuisine ... or other kinds?

Old 01-10-2012, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Towanda View Post

By "new and interesting food" do you mean New Mexican cuisine ... or other kinds?
Completely clueless on New Mexican cuisine. I live in northern california, I am sure our mexican is a bit different. But anything pretty unique new mexican or a really good example of something else if we are sick of new mexican.

I can get almost anything at home, so no need to find italian or a steakhouse or burgers... chain restaurants....

Old 01-10-2012, 10:52 PM

There are dozens of excellent traditional New Mexican restaurants in Santa Fe, but I don't eat in the Plaza area, so maybe someone else can suggest some good places.

I guess the closest of my favorite New Mexican rstaurants to the Plaza would be La Choza or Guadalupe Cafe, but I am not sure they would be in walkihg distance for you.

I do love The Burrito Cafe Co. -- that is on the Plaza, but is a pretty casual lunch place.

Many people llike The Shed (sister restaurant to La Choza) and it is on the Plaza, but to me it is not really a favorite -- I find it overrated and touristy, but others might suggest it.

Old 01-11-2012, 12:24 AM

60 posts, read 130,226 times
Tune Up Cafe
El Farol (Canyon Road)
Harry's Roadhouse (The Best - but a distance from Downtown)

Some of the best in town!

Old 01-11-2012, 03:43 AM

10,768 posts, read 23,905,289 times
Eat at Tia Sophia's for breakfast. You can get New Mexican style breakfast like Huevos Rancheros with green or red chile sauce, breakfast burritos are very good there, sopapillas with honey and two blocks from the plaza.

Tomasitas is a pretty good spot for New Mexican lunch, seems to be popular with locals and tourists alike. Cowgirl BBQ is another hit (Cowgirl BBQ | Santa Fe, NM).

I also remember there being a great French bakery and pastry shop (good coffee) near the cathedral.

Get a museum pass. It's one reasonable price and gets you admitted to four museums in Santa Fe (visit two and you already have your money's worth) including the Palace of the governors (NM museum of history), museum of international folk art, and NM museum of art. It's good for four days and if you happen to be spending any time in Albuquerque it's good for a few museums down there too. https://secure.museumofnewmexico.org...ulturepass.php

Last edited by Champ le monstre du lac; 01-11-2012 at 04:08 AM..

Old 01-11-2012, 09:21 AM

5,061 posts, read 7,468,009 times
I'll echo some of the suggestions already made. Upstairs at the New Mexico History Museum is a really nice temporary exhibit on "Contemplative Landscape", "a photographic exploration of how people have responded to and interacted with New Mexico’s landscape through art, architecture and sacred rituals." In the center of the exhibit hall is a meditation space circled by walls, with benches to sit on and a rock fountain in the center. The exhibit shares the space with the St. John's Bible, a contemporary illuminated manuscript which is an amazing work of art and calligraphy in its own right.

I also agree the French cafe and bakery at La Fonda, near the Cathedral, is very good, you can enter it off of San Francisco St. The La Plazuela Restaurant inside La Fonda is also good and a colorful place. Visitors I have taken there have all enjoyed it. The Shed on Palace Ave. is intensely popular for New Mexican food, and gets very crowded. If you like used/antiquarian bookstores, Nicholas Potter is just down the street on Palace. I also like Tia Sophia's for basic New Mexican food. At the corner of Burro Alley and San Francisco (across from the Lensic Theater) is another restaurant that is a hybrid of New Mexican and French (absorbed the nearby Paris bakery/cafe that closed), the name escapes me, it has changed hands a few times recently.

The whole area around the Plaza is chock full of different kinds of restaurants, you can just stroll around and look at the posted menus and decide what appeals to you. Making your own "discovery" should be part of the experience.

And if you like a piano bar check out Vanessie, a couple of blocks west on San Francisco St.

If you can get to Ten Thousand Waves (which has been called the most authentic Japanese spa in North America) you should definitely go for a soak in one of their hot tubs. It is several miles from downtown however, on the way to the ski area.

Have fun!

Old 01-11-2012, 09:48 AM

Oh, I forgot La Plazeula at La Fonda. Great place. The atmosphere and decor is very interesting and I have always had good food there.

Old 01-12-2012, 04:16 PM

Thanks everyone for the great tips? If it snows, are the sidewalks typically pretty cleared?

Old 01-12-2012, 10:52 PM

2,140 posts, read 6,481,831 times
I'm visiting soon , too! Yay!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Santa Fe