Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Santa Fe
 [Register]
Santa Fe Santa Fe County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-04-2012, 10:13 AM

2 posts, read 1,765 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I am a retired FireFighter and am interested in moving to Santa Fe from the midwest primarily for the weather. I am pretty handy and am interested in supplementing my income buying & renovating residential foreclosed or distresssed properties etc. Are there a generous amount of opportunities along these lines in S.F.?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2012, 11:47 AM

974 posts, read 2,343,939 times
In a word - Yes. Most definitely.
Longer answer: Some of these properties you're talking about will be in very rough shape and may not qualify for a mortgage. For all those that are foreclosures, the bank will want to see a pre-approval (or at least a pre-qualification) letter from your bank, or proof of funds if it is an all cash offer. For any loans, especially for properties you will not occupy, you need very good credit (credit scores starting in the 700s), and expect to pay about 1%+ over the normal residential mortgage rate.
All that being said, I helped get two such buyers some great deals this year so I know first-hand that there are opportunities out there - for the buyer who has the cash or otherwise qualifies financially. Obviously, the more work you can do yourself, the better. If you are not into tearing down walls, reconfiguring rooms, putting up sheetrock, etc., and do not have the necessary licenses for the heavier lifting (e.g. plumbing and electrical), you might want to consider buying homes that just need cosmetic repairs (new flooring, paint, cabinets, etc.).
These opportunities are available in all price ranges and, like real estate anywhere, will depend on location and condition and how highly motivated the seller is to sell.
Hope this helps.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Santa Fe