Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Santa Fe
 [Register]
Santa Fe Santa Fe County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2013, 09:30 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,802,877 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sf_gal View Post
However there is an overwhelming epidemic of drugs and crime here and that drug epidemic permeates nearly every family in this town and many of the neighborhoods- facts which nearly everyone wants to ignore.
Fact's? Who ignored the facts? You did not present any facts. You just presented your opinion. You just presented your opinion, which is OK, but they are not verifiable facts, just your opinion.

Old 05-14-2013, 09:39 AM

17 posts, read 54,017 times
For perspective, the New Mexican just posted this article on the decrease in burglaries. They attribute this to higher rates of arrest for heroin. So, I will give the city some credit, they are moving in the right direction.

My states are the facts I have observed. And I have observed far more than I would have liked to when I moved to this place.

The fact is that the drug overdose rate in this area is the highest per capita in the nation. The schools are 49th out of 50 states. The fact is the drug problem is off the charts and crime follows drug use. Those are facts and when you come from a normal place and get smacked in the face with crime all around, it is indeed more than a little shocking.

Police cite decade's lowest burglary rate - The Santa Fe New Mexican: Local News

Old 05-14-2013, 10:12 AM

1,663 posts, read 3,702,882 times
Quote:
It just happens with much great density and frequency here.
I'd like to see this data please.

Old 05-14-2013, 10:16 AM

1,993 posts, read 4,064,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
Fact's? Who ignored the facts? You did not present any facts. You just presented your opinion. You just presented your opinion, which is OK, but they are not verifiable facts, just your opinion.

I was just going to point that out. You beat me to the punch.

Old 05-14-2013, 11:15 AM

17 posts, read 54,017 times
New Mexico:

#1 highest number of painkiller overdose fatalities

1. New Mexico*Pictures - CBS News

"The highest drug overdose death rates in 2008 were found in New Mexico and West Virginia, which had rates nearly five times that of the state with the lowest rate, Nebraska.4"

CDC - Prescription Painkiller Overdoses Policy Impact Brief - Home and Recreational Safety - Injury Center

drip out rate is 68% 41 out of 50 states
High School Graduation Rates By State: U.S. Department Of Education Releases First-Ever National Data

31% of children in poverty (beat only by Mississippi at 32% & Puerto Rico)

Children in poverty - Data Across States - KIDS COUNT Data Center

On this list Arizona and Mississippi rank worst than New Mexico, so again, the state must be improving.

If one cared to do more research, which I don't, one would find that Espanola has the highest overdose rate in the nation. Espanola is just a short drive to the north. We all know with drugs comes death, crime, and gangs.

I don't have anything to prove here. Perhaps we just moved right before that bad era for crime, drugs and public intoxication in 2010, 2011, 2012 & 2013. I just know it is much, much worse here than in other places I've been.

Old 05-14-2013, 11:31 AM

62 posts, read 175,843 times
I've pointed out before that I am not in love with this city and am absolutely not a Santa Fe apologist.

But I don't know a single family who is affected by drugs. Am I living in a bubble?

Old 05-14-2013, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julie Ruin View Post
I've pointed out before that I am not in love with this city and am absolutely not a Santa Fe apologist.

But I don't know a single family who is affected by drugs. Am I living in a bubble?
Growing up in Santa Fe I saw plenty of marijuana use, but never anything like heroin or cocaine. Though I didn't go to Espanola either.

Old 05-14-2013, 11:47 AM

» New Mexico Graduation Rate Rises to 70 percent | ABQ Journal

Old 05-14-2013, 12:15 PM

Quote:
I've never witnessed a robbery before. I've never had a friend who had her purse snatched in the middle of the day - until I moved here. I've never had neighbors that have had their houses broken into - until I moved here. I've never seen cars stolen so close to home - until I moved here. I've never experienced constant graffiti and tagging on my property until I moved here.
I lived in Santa Fe for 18 years and never experienced any of those things. I never witnessed a robbery. I never knew anyone who had a purse snatched, middle of the day or otherwise. I never had a neighbor whose house was broken into. I never knew anyone whose car was stolen. I never experienced any tagging on my property.

I'm not posting this for those who clearly hate Santa Fe, I'm posting this for those considering moving to Santa Fe so they know that many people never had the issues you did.

Old 05-14-2013, 12:28 PM

974 posts, read 2,345,413 times
Sf_gal - haven't you left yet?

I realize that by responding to your posts we give you the opportunity to spout more of your vitriol, but I can't help myself. You pick your "statistics" very carefully. Your posts are full of how bad Santa Fe is in regard to drugs and crime, yet the only drug citation you use is overdosing from pain killers - and you use state statistics, not city. And you use no crime statistics. So let's not get any more unsubstantiated rants masquerading as facts. Please.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Santa Fe