Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Santa Fe
 [Register]
Santa Fe Santa Fe County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-03-2013, 02:03 PM

44 posts, read 108,004 times

Advertisements

I reside in Chicago--obviously much, much larger than SF--and most neighborhoods usually have designated streets that separate one area or neighborhood from the next, which makes it easier to know where people live when having conversations and also makes it easier when looking for housing. I have read many posts and threads on this forum about the various Santa Fe neighborhoods, but I can't seem to find any map or any sort of "boundaries", e.g. streets, that separate one neighborhood from another. Does a map like this exist? I have found a few maps that very lightly touch upon neighborhoods (i.e. NE Santa Fe, NW Santa Fe, Downtown, etc.) but as I am looking for housing, it would be very helpful to know what people mean when they say "Rancho Viejo", "Arroyo Hondo", "Guadalupe", "Aldea", etc.

I was offered a room in a home just south of St. Vincent Hospital off of Siringo. Is anyone able to tell me if this is a decent neighborhood or even what this neighborhood is called? Which neighborhood or area do you live in and do you enjoy living there? Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2013, 02:38 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,747,211 times
The City of Santa Fe has a series of maps. They are great maps, but a bit overwhelming at times, not just a simple map: City of Santa Fe Maps | City of Santa Fe, New Mexico

City-Data has a pretty good map here: City-Data Santa Fe Neighborhood Map

Frommers Maps of Santa Fe - Free Printable, Interactive Tour Maps & Neighborhood Maps for Your Santa Fe Trip

Rich

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 08-28-2014 at 06:03 PM..

Old 03-05-2013, 04:56 PM

974 posts, read 2,342,780 times
dayvantravels - Siringo Road is not quite "just" south of St. Vincent's. But where this property is along the Siringo corridor will help determine how "decent" a neighborhood. There are several named - and unnamed - neighborhoods that are off Siringo, as it's quite a long street. The best thing would be to come for a visit, as I believe you've said you would do, and drive around town to see what neighborhoods appeal to you.
In addition to the resources Poncho_NM recommends, you can also go to Mapquest and zoom in on Santa Fe, and the more you zoom in, various neighborhoods will be displayed; they also have a neighborhood tab you can use.
There are a wide variety of areas/neighborhoods in town. You'd probably be better off in a smaller rental in a better neighborhood, than a larger unit in an iffy one -- but what makes a neighborhood desirable is in the eye (and wallet) of the beholder. So you really need to see for yourself.

Old 03-08-2013, 02:52 PM

Thanks for the responses and the maps. They're quite confusing, but definitely give me a better idea of...well, everything.

GreatSantaFe...I realize Siringo is not "just" south of St. Vincent's in SF terms, but coming from a huge city where I walk "just" under a mile to my local train stop, a house 0.4 miles south of the hospital is "just" south of the hospital in my book. I'm not saying this out of spite; it's just my perception of big-town living vs. smaller town living. In theory, everything is closer together, but especially if it's within a mile. However, I do understand how this approach could land me somewhere not so great as smaller town=smaller neighborhoods=more going on within a mile. Some cities, at least.

I realize that while one property can be a good place to reside off the Siringo corridor, another may be not so desirable. Are you familiar with the stretch from Botulph and Siringo to St. Francis and Siringo? It seems to be a middle-class neighborhood with quite less crime than other areas. Not super walking friendly, but still just 3 miles away from the plaza and a bit more "open" than neighborhoods closer to downtown. I like to not feel super smushed by other homes and it seems to be a nice neighborhood for that reason. Of course I would ideally like to drive around and see for myself, but I am familiar with Santa Fe and have probably even been to this area without my knowledge. I also really like the landlord and that is a big plus in my book.

Old 03-08-2013, 05:59 PM

dayvantravels - Yes, I'm familiar with that area you describe and it is quite nice, for all the reasons you describe. That, its proximity to the hospital and the fact that you really like the landlord make it appear to be ideal for you.
That's exciting! Good luck.

Old 03-08-2013, 08:19 PM

3,011 posts, read 10,025,226 times
dayvantravels:

I have a friend who lives in that neighborhood. I think it is a very nice neighborhood. Clean, well-kept, lovely houses, quiet, but close to the hospital, downtown and St. Francis Drive with its shopping and restaurants.

Seems like it would be a good choice.

Old 03-11-2013, 02:08 AM

Thanks again GreatSantaFe, Towanda, and Poncho_NM. Really appreciate the responses. I'll be in SF in a month and am looking forward to the move for many reasons. Let me know if you're ever in the mood to grab a bite, take a walk, or show a newbie some interesting spots. Muchas gracias, take care.

Old 08-28-2014, 05:48 PM

1 posts, read 3,221 times
Hello:

I am doing some online homework as my wife and I plan to retire and relocate to Santa Fe.

We are familiar with Santa Fe as visitors (10) times, but not as residents. We will certainly be going out there to walk/drive around and familiarize ourselves with what we do/don't like. However, I was hoping someone can give their opinion of what neighborhood(s) are unsafe or borderline. As a compass, we are hoping to live within two miles of the plaza, if that helps.

Thank you very much in advance.

Old 09-02-2014, 12:15 PM

Calipna - You're asking a quite reasonable question; however as a Realtor there are ethical and federal regulatory reasons why I cannot respond to it. Other members of our forum are not under the same constraints and so you'll probably get their impressions about different neighborhoods. In general terms, as you can see on CrimeReports.com, you'll see less criminal activity on the northwest, north, northeast, east and southeast parts of town. But, like any town, crime can happen anywhere. You can link to the crime reports from the Santa Fe County Sheriff's website.

I would encourage you to "ask around" while you're here for your next visit. When you see a neighborhood you like, if you see someone working in their yard or walking their dog, tell them you're thinking of buying in the neighborhood and what can they tell you about it. I and my clients have found neighbors very open when approached with such questions. One of my clients liked a house in what some would consider an "iffy" neighborhood, spoke with neighbors and felt assured enough to buy the house. The neighbors watch out for each other and she tells me she feels very safe there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Santa Fe