Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Santa Fe
 [Register]
Santa Fe Santa Fe County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-01-2014, 12:04 PM

974 posts, read 2,342,554 times

Advertisements

I was in another forum and while researching a part of my response found this interesting interactive map that shows how property taxes compare in counties across the country. I thought the readers of this forum might find it interesting (or maybe it's just interesting to data nerds like me ).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2014, 07:51 AM

1,569 posts, read 3,286,837 times
That is interesting. But you have that whole lighting tax factor to consider in NM. The less turnover of residences in a county, the lower the burden on a survey like this. For other states with more traditional schemes, the turnover rate wouldn't make much of a difference.

In any event, I'm pleased to say that between my brother and I, I'm gad I'm in Santa Fe Co., NM rather than Travis County, TX, where he is. TX property taxes are brutal -- 5X what mine are per this map. I wonder if the figures for TX also include the school taxes? Those can also be very steep.

Old 07-02-2014, 09:11 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,741,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jakabedy View Post
That is interesting. But you have that whole lighting tax factor to consider in NM.

"lighting tax factor"?

1. Home owners are subject to a 3 percent limit on how much property taxes can climb each year.

2. The cap doesn't apply when a home changes hands, and the new buyers are made aware of what their taxes will be.

Sounds like a fair system to me...

Old 07-02-2014, 07:11 PM

1,569 posts, read 3,286,837 times
Well, I meant to type "lightning tax" rather than "lighting tax", but I think you knew that. When something "sounds like a fair system", it's usually because the one doing the listening is on the beneficial end of the system. And of course there's a disclosure to a purchaser as to what the property tax is estimated to be -- that doesn't make it any easier to swallow for someone who comes from a place with a more traditional scheme where property is taxed based on value, regardless of when it was purchased.

I know, someday I'll be the long-term homeowner who's glad to have the cap in place. And taking the hit up-front is just the entry fee into the game. But still, it's an odd way to do things.

Old 07-02-2014, 07:40 PM
TKO

4,153 posts, read 4,275,364 times
It's due to the fact Santa Fe evolved from a very charming, low population, backwater state capitol (see Two Lane Blacktop for a view of it, great movie) in one of the poorest states in the union to a world class destination over the last 30 years. A huge percentage of the locals would be priced out of homes they've owned for generations due to values going through the roof if there wasn't something done. An odd situation with an odd solution.

Old 08-17-2014, 12:07 PM

560 posts, read 1,714,536 times
I used to complain about the property taxes here... but after looking at real estate in Pennsylvania I'll never do that again. New Mexico taxes really aren't too bad.

Old 09-11-2014, 12:53 PM

336 posts, read 577,504 times
What is the property tax on a $600,000 house?

Old 09-11-2014, 02:20 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,741,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suaz View Post

Quote:
Assessment Information Center

Appraisal and Tax Rate Information

Santa Fe County Tax Assessment Center

Calculate Estimated Property Taxes

Enter the estimated market value of the property, select the tax district in which the property is located from the drop down list, and press the calculate button to compute the estimated taxes. If you are uncertain of the tax district, use the search buttons above to locate the property to determine the tax district.
Enter Estimated Market Value: $600,000
District: CI - Santa Fe School District - Inside Santa Fe city limits (Residential)
Your Estimated Taxes: $4,147.40
*Important* -- This is an estimated property tax calculation, based on the latest mill rate set by State and Local governments. The estimated tax calculation does not take into consideration any exemptions, ie; head of household, veterans, etc ...
*Disclaimer: The estimated Property Tax Levy is calculated using the stated price and estimates of the applicable tax rates. The County Assessor is required by law to value the property at its “current and correct” value, which may differ from the listed price. Further, the estimated tax rate may be higher or lower than those that will actually be imposed. Accordingly, the actual tax levy may be higher or lower than the estimated amount. New Mexico law requires your real estate Broker or agent to provide you an Estimated Property Tax Levy on the Property you have submitted or intended to submit an offer to Purchase. All real estate Brokers and agents who have complied with these disclosure requirements shall be immune from suit and liability from suit relating to the Estimated Property Tax Levy.

Old 09-11-2014, 09:20 PM

974 posts, read 2,342,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suaz View Post
$4147 if in the city limits, $3731 if outside.

Old 09-12-2014, 08:52 AM

336 posts, read 577,504 times
Thank you, GreatSantaFe! You are a wealth of information.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Santa Fe
View detailed profiles of: