Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Santa Fe
 [Register]
Santa Fe Santa Fe County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-05-2014, 04:46 AM

1,927 posts, read 1,900,015 times

Advertisements

I assume every city has safe and dangerous neighborhoods. Which neighborhoods in Santa Fe are safe, with middle or even upper-middle class homes?

Are any of these neighborhoods walkable? It seems that many houses in Santa Fe are isolated out in the desert, and you'd have to drive to get anywhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2014, 06:35 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,750,943 times
You might look through threads:

Neighborhoods in Santa Fe
Santa Fe Neighborhoods: A Map?
Neighborhoods for young middle to upper class families
Safe Santa Fe neighborhoods for single woman w/o car

Old 11-05-2014, 08:55 AM

1,569 posts, read 3,287,435 times
Too many variables. If you can specify what type of home you're looking for (SFH, condo, townhouse, rental, size of yard), your budget, your definition of "safe" and your definition of "walkable" (walkable to what? Work? School? Park? Grocery? Restaurants? Downtown?) we can give you some ideas.

Old 11-07-2014, 04:40 AM

1,927 posts, read 1,900,015 times
I'm interested in a single family home. Detached, not a townhouse. Preferably under $700k.

I'd prefer a neighborhood with sidewalks. Walking distance to groceries, library, Starbucks, CVS or Rite Aid, and interesting urban hangouts. (The only "urban area" I've heard about in Santa Fe is its famed Plaza, but I assume there's more?)

I like walking, so if a grocery is a mile from the house, that's "walking distance" for me. I normally walk about 8 miles a day, just for the exercise. I've no kids, so nearby schools are not an issue.

Safe such that an adult male can take walks even after midnight and not worry about being robbed.

Old 11-07-2014, 07:38 AM

1,569 posts, read 3,287,435 times
Your budget is good for Santa Fe and will give you a lot of options. I'm not tuned into the crime statistics, but I can offer that the SFH neighborhoods that are most walkable for you might be South Capitol, the Railyard, Guadalupe, and thereabouts. The part-time population places great stock on walkability to the Plaza, Canyon Road galleries, etc. Your budget can work in those areas, too, if you're creative with your shopping. But a full-time resident who wants to walk to the drugstore, grocery, etc., would be better served (IMHO) just to the west or south of "downtown"

Shopping centers that would give you what you need are DeVargas Mall, on Paseo de Peralta (the north side of that loop) and clustered around the intersection of St. Francis and Cordova (Whole Foods, Trader Joe's).

Happy shopping!

Old 11-09-2014, 08:38 AM

974 posts, read 2,342,931 times
I definitely agree with jakabedy's advice. you should also definitely check out the parts of the historic eastside that are a little east of the plaza between, say, Palace Ave. and Acequia Madre. While that's some of the most expensive real estate in town, there are occasionally homes there in your price range.

Old 11-13-2014, 06:36 AM

887 posts, read 1,214,790 times
Try poking around homes on Trulia web site. It shows crime stats and by category in the neighborhood of whatever home you are looking at. It's pretty interesting actually.

Old 11-25-2014, 11:43 AM

55 posts, read 104,983 times
I would say from what you are describing, look in the Railyard neighborhood. You will be walking distance of just about everything.

Old 11-25-2014, 03:48 PM

974 posts, read 2,342,931 times
Cinema Cat - The Railyard has good and not-so-good areas; it's an area still in transition.
For close-in neighborhoods that have primarily middle-to-upper middle class homes, you'd more likely find that in the South Capital, Northeast and East sides.
For sidewalks, the Railyard area, South Capital and near-in westside (like the Guadalupe District), and some eastside streets have them; much of the sought-after historic eastside do not.
If you're close-in to the city center/plaza, then you're within walking distance to everything you mentioned.

Old 11-27-2014, 11:35 AM

380 posts, read 652,625 times
Agreed with GreatSantaFe on the Railyard. Also, many people call areas "The Railyard" that this site calls differently. E.g., Irvine Street? Ambrosio? I consider those the Railyard, but I think others might call it "Guadalupe" or something different. Those streets, fwiw, are pretty rough, but then a couple of blocks over, it's nice. Like GSF said, it's spotty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Santa Fe
View detailed profiles of: