Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Santa Fe
 [Register]
Santa Fe Santa Fe County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2017, 09:14 PM

3,762 posts, read 5,856,746 times

Advertisements

I posted in the Fine Art forum but maybe I could get more of an idea here. Are prices for original art works firm in the galleries Santa Fe or Taos? I know that depending on the name of the artist the price would demand more. Would this be even possible in the Fenn Gallery or those on Canyon Rd? I am not trying to belittle an artist's work, just trying to learn. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2017, 09:31 PM

102,198 posts, read 107,842,460 times
I haven't heard of anyone dickering on the prices for fine art in Santa Fe. If the work of certain artists is valued more, that doesn't mean that the prices are not firm. The artist's reputation is one factor that goes into determining the value/price of the piece.

There are appraisers in town, who can tell you if the price you paid is fair. You'd have to pay them for their service.

edit; I take that back, a little. Sometimes there are markdowns, like when a gallery might be having a promotional sale. Or, if you buy two works of art from the same gallery, you could ask if you could get a discount, for the double purchase. That's not unheard of. If you're considering an expensive piece, conceivably you could discreetly ask if X is the " best price they can offer". That's the limit of your options, AFAIK.

Old 06-30-2017, 10:11 PM

16,077 posts, read 10,735,467 times
I was browsing on Canyon Road a while back and looking at a large abstract painting--maybe too large for most homes. The gallery dropped the price by a third in a fairly short discussion and might have come down more -- it was large, appealed to a limited audience, and was taking up gallery space. That might have been an exception to the normal rule. The stuff I would buy probably won't come down in price.

Old 07-01-2017, 12:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
I was browsing on Canyon Road a while back and looking at a large abstract painting--maybe too large for most homes. The gallery dropped the price by a third in a fairly short discussion and might have come down more -- it was large, appealed to a limited audience, and was taking up gallery space. That might have been an exception to the normal rule. The stuff I would buy probably won't come down in price.
Good point. Depending on the gallery, they may lower the price for a seriously-interested customer, if they haven't made a sale in a long time, it's a high-end painting rather than a $200 print, and they have bills to pay. There are many variables.

Old 07-01-2017, 07:32 AM

1,836 posts, read 3,166,069 times
I was told by one Santa Fe gallery owner that any gallery will drop the price 10% to 20%. I don't know if that is true. I did buy from her and she gave a 20% discount, although she had to contact the artist to get approval first.

Last edited by beezle1; 07-01-2017 at 08:19 AM..

Old 07-01-2017, 08:15 AM

4,280 posts, read 9,161,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beezle1 View Post
I was told by one Santa Fe gallery owner that any gallery will drop the price 10% to 20%. I don't know if that is true. I did by from her and she gave a 20% discount, although she had to contact the artist to get approval first.
This is pretty much how the gallery business works. The poor artist usually settles for 40 percent of the sales price, if that much. So the gallery has a lot of leeway in cutting its commission. It's important to remember that many (if not most) galleries sell on consignment - meaning the artist gets nothing if the work doesn't sell.

Old 07-01-2017, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joqua View Post
This is pretty much how the gallery business works. The poor artist usually settles for 40 percent of the sales price, if that much. So the gallery has a lot of leeway in cutting its commission. It's important to remember that many (if not most) galleries sell on consignment - meaning the artist gets nothing if the work doesn't sell.
Not only that, but the artist has to spend a lot of money on framing, just to get his/her work exhibited.

Old 07-02-2017, 06:51 PM

45 posts, read 105,840 times
When I had work in a Canyon Rd. Gallery I received 50% of my set retail price. The galleries contract stipulated that The artist would allow them to offer up to a 15% discount, but the gallery would absorb that discount, not the artist.

Old 07-02-2017, 09:50 PM

3,762 posts, read 5,856,746 times
Thanks to all that responded. I am NOT trying to undervalue anyone's work. Just trying to learn. As a professional musician, I understand the artist being paid adequately for their work.

Old 07-03-2017, 08:21 AM

4,280 posts, read 9,161,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbsoso View Post
When I had work in a Canyon Rd. Gallery I received 50% of my set retail price. The galleries contract stipulated that The artist would allow them to offer up to a 15% discount, but the gallery would absorb that discount, not the artist.
I've known so many artists who would be considered "amateurs" who place their work with a gallery with NO written contract to protect them from fraud. Even some prestigious galleries have been caught up in fraudulent schemes at times. Galleries have even gone out of business with NO forewarning, taking all of the artist's works with them.

Here's an excerpt from a 2009 article (8 yrs. ago) on the subject:
negotiating-with-art-galleries

Quote:
An Equitable Commission Rate

While some galleries still take a 40% commission on sales, the majority of them insist on 50%. Richard Schmid has shared with me that years ago, galleries took 20%-30%. The commission rates artists are paying today were unheard of 40 years ago. Some galleries have now gone beyond the 50% mark - having raised it to 60%. Where will it end?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Santa Fe