Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Santa Fe
 [Register]
Santa Fe Santa Fe County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2008, 07:48 AM

3,011 posts, read 10,028,666 times

Advertisements

I agree! Let's have a new thread on this, Dancingearth!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2008, 07:54 AM

1,569 posts, read 3,402,753 times
Default link to spinning/natural dye

Quote:
Originally Posted by clairz View Post
DE, this would make a wonderful new thread for those of us around the state who do spinning and dyeing. Fermented avocado dye? Tell more!

~clairz
Here's the link:

Spinning Wool/Natural Dyes

Old 07-06-2008, 09:57 AM

1,305 posts, read 3,611,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devin Bent View Post
Does this rule work for mature Junipers? I have been assuming that they have deep roots and that 2-3 feet would be either worthless or counter productive for them.

IDK. This is a real question.
Devin, I don't water my junipers as often as my other trees that have broader leaves. I think if it is really hot out and there is not much rain, I give them a bit of a soaking every other week. But junipers like to be well-drained, so I don't keep them as wet as my Burr Oak, maple and aspens. A neighbor of mine has not watered his juniper much at all, and now it is starting to die from the top down. So I surmise it is possible to kill them with neglect, but you don't have to water them as much as other trees.

Old 07-11-2008, 09:40 PM

Thumbs up Blessed rain tonight!

We had HEAVY rain here early this evening.

I am not so sure I ever saw rain this heavy, even in Kansas!

My husband estimated we got two to three inches. It flooded our front and back yards, and was pouring off the roof and running like a river down the swale between our house and the one to the west.

Now it is raining again! I never expected rain like that here in Santa Fe ... but we are loving it!

Old 07-12-2008, 11:21 AM

946 posts, read 3,266,190 times
Default Run off

Quote:
Originally Posted by Towanda View Post
We had HEAVY rain here early this evening.

I am not so sure I ever saw rain this heavy, even in Kansas!

My husband estimated we got two to three inches. It flooded our front and back yards, and was pouring off the roof and running like a river down the swale between our house and the one to the west.

Now it is raining again! I never expected rain like that here in Santa Fe ... but we are loving it!
Part of this is -- I think -- the nature of the soil in combination with relatively sparse vegetation. When it rains a much lower percentage of the water soaks into the ground -- instead it runs offs -- in sheets across flat land and into the arroyos.

It is a vicious cycle -- the soil might get better with time and the water retention improve except that any decent soil washes off. I have worked for a long time bringing in rock to build low walls and slow the run-off and build up the soil.

Old 07-12-2008, 02:28 PM

5,548 posts, read 16,083,410 times
Vinegaroon laughed about :

> ... found the term "monsoon" to be pretty funny around here,
> cause usually that means torrential rains.

I put this in another "rain" post in Las Cruces, but thought it also belonged here:

LiveScience.com: Life's Little Mysteries - What is a Monsoon? (http://www.livescience.com/mysteries/070706_llm_monsoon.html - broken link)
" ... a monsoon is not a storm. Rather, monsoon is a seasonal shift in wind. ... "

Old 07-12-2008, 02:46 PM

Well, okay, Mortimer....then I assume it is the shift in winds which is bringing us the heavy rains? The winds seem to be coming from the North-Northeast bringing these torrential rains.

Old 07-12-2008, 07:11 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,128,038 times
Quote:
I'm so envious!!! Hey, get yourself a rain gage. It's easy and you can make your own. There's probably a thousand Internet sites telling you how to, so I won't bore anybody with a how-to.

Old 07-12-2008, 07:24 PM

I think we have a rain guage that has not been unpacked yet.

Old 07-12-2008, 09:45 PM

946 posts, read 3,266,190 times
Default guage? gague?

Quote:
I think we have a rain guage that has not been unpacked yet.
Maybe it's gauge?

Somebody's bound to spell it right eventually.

I'll bet that it measures less than you expect. Of course, I could be wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Santa Fe