Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Santa Fe
 [Register]
Santa Fe Santa Fe County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2009, 02:51 PM

47 posts, read 126,481 times

Advertisements

I hear you gtho09. I have this ongoing debate with myself as to whether I should move before I retire or wait. The good news is that I am working toward my goal, to make it happen. I currently have a 2nd job, and what I make there is going into savings to help finance my future move.

Honestly, my only real dilemma is a financial one. I have a good job here, that I couldn't replicate in SF. I make decent money, have good benefits, and live 5 minutes away from both my jobs. And don't get me wrong, Madison is a great place - except for the weather. I am a person that really craves the sun!

I've done the research, so I know the housing costs in SF are significantly higher than they are here, especially since I want a comfortable house in a decent neighborhood.

So, although I could just up and move, being unable to house, clothe, and feed myself in the style to which I've become accustomed would be a major bummer. If I wait until I retire, my pension will at the very least cover my house payment, and along with my savings I'll only have to work part-time. Then I'lll have plenty of free time to enjoy SF and all it has to offer. That's my dream anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2009, 10:20 PM

67 posts, read 199,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomM1 View Post
You can click on neighborhoods and subdivisions here (http://www.santaferealtypartners.com/company/ - broken link), to get some idea of price for owning.

(I have no relationship with that company)
thank you for the info!!

Old 01-12-2010, 11:48 AM

1 posts, read 11,114 times
I live in the Northeast and have become tired of the snow, freezing temps and heat waves. I'm retiring in four years and am considering New Mexico. I visited ABQ in 2007 because a friend lives there. I love anything to do with the west, Native American art and culture, etc. I had a really great time. To get to know ABQ better I was told I had to visit every year or two, rent a place, drive around and see how the city is morning, afternoon and evening. I've yet to do this because I don't have a driver's license nor the finances to visit every year.

I've been doing my homework, checking places to live. Most of the apartment complexes resemble retirement villages. I'd like to do independent living, if possible. I've search sites looking at condos and homes for rent. I can afford them, if under $1200 a month. My friend suggested checking the northeast section of town because I want mountain views.

One area I'm concerned with is the crime rate. Everytime I speak to someone in a chatroom about ABQ they rant it being third in crime. I don't know if they meant in the nation or the state. I've heard there are drug labs littered around, so I don't know if I'll wind up living next to one. Because of these negative rants I decided to check of Santa Fe. I'd like to be among the art communities. But even here I'm not hearing very encouraging comments about Santa Fe. The thread is slowly being pulled out of my security blanket. Should I be concerned about all areas of ABQ and Santa Fe or certain neighborhoods? What areas of Santa Fe are considered safe? I feel, if I can't move to New Mexico, I might as well continue to live through the Northeast winters and summers. And that would really suck. I'd appreciate any advice.

Old 01-12-2010, 11:56 AM

1,305 posts, read 3,611,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthwestBound1952 View Post
I live in the Northeast and have become tired of the snow, freezing temps and heat waves. I'm retiring in four years and am considering New Mexico. I visited ABQ in 2007 because a friend lives there. I love anything to do with the west, Native American art and culture, etc. I had a really great time. To get to know ABQ better I was told I had to visit every year or two, rent a place, drive around and see how the city is morning, afternoon and evening. I've yet to do this because I don't have a driver's license nor the finances to visit every year.

I've been doing my homework, checking places to live. Most of the apartment complexes resemble retirement villages. I'd like to do independent living, if possible. I've search sites looking at condos and homes for rent. I can afford them, if under $1200 a month. My friend suggested checking the northeast section of town because I want mountain views.

One area I'm concerned with is the crime rate. Everytime I speak to someone in a chatroom about ABQ they rant it being third in crime. I don't know if they meant in the nation or the state. I've heard there are drug labs littered around, so I don't know if I'll wind up living next to one. Because of these negative rants I decided to check of Santa Fe. I'd like to be among the art communities. But even here I'm not hearing very encouraging comments about Santa Fe. The thread is slowly being pulled out of my security blanket. Should I be concerned about all areas of ABQ and Santa Fe or certain neighborhoods? What areas of Santa Fe are considered safe? I feel, if I can't move to New Mexico, I might as well continue to live through the Northeast winters and summers. And that would really suck. I'd appreciate any advice.
First of all, you are not going to escape winter here. We have had freezing temps this winter pretty often. If you want to escape freezing temps, try Las Cruces or points south. If you don't have a driver's license and little money, Santa Fe is probably not for you. There is a bus system, but it is not that great, and Santa Fe is expensive to live in. There is little violent crime here, but a fair amount of property crime. Many people move out here from out east, then decide it's not for them. Some love it and stay. The only way you will know is to do it.

Old 01-13-2010, 09:12 AM

14,129 posts, read 31,257,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinegaroon View Post
Many people move out here from out east.
Are you from Chicago or some other part of the Midwest?

Old 01-16-2010, 09:32 AM

2 posts, read 12,826 times
Vinagroon is so defensive of every comment. They are not attacking you. They just have a different opinion. Now I expect your defenseive answer. Chill.

If two people agree on everything then either they are both idiots or one of them is doing all of the thinking.

I am a retired pilot. having traveled the globe and lived all over the world I know for me that a week or two does little to open your eyes to life in a town or city. You get an idea of cleanliness, scenery and general geographics, but still the opinions of people who have lived there are more important. I live in Boca Raton Fl. I despise it. I diregarded the opinions of people who lived here and left. It is the least friendly place on earth. Fortunately I can live wherever I like and right now Sante fe is on the top of my list. Please residents tell me more. I am 60 years old and very well educated. My retirement is about $100,000 a year. I love people and find myself alone way too much.

Last edited by umiami; 01-16-2010 at 09:34 AM.. Reason: Spelling

Old 01-19-2010, 06:35 PM

107 posts, read 274,064 times
@umiami
You have the funds to live here and people here tend to be friendly, like all of the SW I've found. SF is a great place for some - it's laid back and slow moving and if you love the gallery scene, desert scenery and adobe houses- southwestern architecture and small town living it might be the place for you. A lot of people move here for their love of all things Santa Fe and it's a great fit for them. Younger people who move here because of a job transfer often find it too quiet and "old" for their taste. But anyone considering a move here should really spend some time here first- it isn't hard to get short term furnished rentals. It is differant .

Old 01-19-2010, 06:50 PM

332 posts, read 1,035,848 times
I agree with SanfordR. Come over to town and rent a place for a few months to get the feel of it. I just had clients who bought here only after coming to Santa Fe at 3 different times of the year. While you're here, work with a realtor to understand the neighborhoods and relative values. *Then* you can make your educated, informed, feet-on-the-street decision!

Old 01-20-2010, 07:59 AM

1,643 posts, read 4,918,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanfordR View Post
@umiami
SF is a great place for some - It is differant .
I think that's it in a nutshell - in fact Santa Fe advertises itself as, "The City Different." And it is truly a unique place - nowhere else like it within the USA.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Santa Fe