Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Santa Fe
 [Register]
Santa Fe Santa Fe County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2011, 01:25 PM

5,066 posts, read 7,483,506 times

Advertisements

Apply lotions, ointments, salves, balms. Then reapply. I find I don't have much problem in summer, just winter.

One local company you might consider is Clear Light - the Cedar Company out of Placitas, they have natural cedar lotions which I really like, one of the few scents I can tolerate. Don't think I can make a link to a commercial site though, but they do have a website you can check out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2011, 02:07 PM

2,296 posts, read 6,298,627 times
Egyptian Magic Cream---- you can pick it up at Whole Foods.

Old 02-25-2011, 08:22 PM

3,763 posts, read 8,774,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joqua View Post
Staying properly hydrated is as important as protection from harsh sun, wind and pollution. As has been said already, acclimation takes time and each person reacts differently to changes in environment - some take longer than others to be comfortable.

One easy test of whether or not you're drinking enough water is to simply look a the color of your urine. The more yellow it is the more water you need to drink to "get the yellow out."

Going around shirtless and hatless is asking for trouble. The higher the altitude at which you live, the more dangerous sun exposure becomes. Buy the highest SPF number you can find when purchasing sun screen and use it on exposed neck, ears, face and hands if planning to be outdoors very long at one time.
How true about elevation. Our place is at 8000 ft & that sun is close in the summer!

Old 02-26-2011, 07:29 AM

4,280 posts, read 9,198,042 times
Aloe vera juice is the natural moisturizer used in MANY cosmetic products. You can buy it in gel form in most drug/cosmetic sections. It is non-oily/greasy, has no odor, and works well (for me) when my dry skin actually becomes itchy. The brand I buy has a dispenser pump so it's handy to use and I keep it on the side of my bathroom sink for easy access. A little goes a long way.

Old 02-26-2011, 11:23 AM

12,070 posts, read 6,621,219 times
I moved from a high humidity area and what worked for me was putting olive oil (no chemicals) on liberally after a morning shower or bath. Since skin is oily for a while, I wear work out clothes that I don't mind getting oily and by 30 minutes to an hour all oil has sunk into skin and put on regular clothes. Do this everyday for a week or so and then you only need it 1 or 2 days a week.

Old 02-26-2011, 03:28 PM

36 posts, read 83,808 times
Good feedback everyone. I tried something different today that helped. I'm addicted to hot showers, which is a BIG problem for my skin. So, I took a bath. I know, alert the media. What I found was that it was easier for me to make it warm instead of hot. You know, the water was what it was and I just MADE myself be satisfied. When I'm in the shower and all it takes is a little tap on the faucet, I can't resist. I couldn't believe how much it helped. I've always read to take warm, not hot showers but since I'm a junkie I never tried out the warm.

OK, I know this sounds like minutae, but it REALLY made a big difference.

Thanks for the tips everyone. Love this website - such nice people.

KG

Old 02-27-2011, 09:26 AM

455 posts, read 656,844 times
1) Hydration

2) Essential oils (lavender oil works well for dry flaky hot spots)

3) Derm-specific lotions and creams (like Eucerin)

4) Genuine shea butter and other natural products (readily available all over Northern NM - try the various Farmers Markets)

5) Use a humidifier in the bedroom at night

Daily use of all of the above...

Old 03-05-2011, 02:56 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,209,624 times
I too have dry skin problems and I've learned one thing that has helped me. Natural skin oils protect your skin from losing moisture and drying out. Soap washes off oils including natural skin oils. One way to keep more of your natural skin oils is to wash with soap less frequently. I'm not saying don't wash, just don't use as much soap and don't use soap every time you wash. I use soap and shampoo about twice a week in my shower and other days just water only. It has helped turn my major skin dryness problem into a minor problem.

An additional benefit: I'm amazed at how clean my shower stays. No soap scum build-up! Also, since soap bars contain some fats and oils (but maybe not "detbars" -- detergent bars which are your usual Dial etc.) and since mold eats those fats and oils, minimizing soap use in shower also cuts way back on mold build-up by denying mold the nutrients it needs to grow. End result: shower needs far less cleaning.

So just remember, over use of soap can cause dry, itchy skin.

Old 03-05-2011, 03:24 PM

36 posts, read 83,808 times
LH, interesting timing. For the first time, last week I took several baths without soap, and my skin was much better. And, as you mentioned, the times I used soap I used much less. Great results.

Thanks!

Old 03-05-2011, 04:58 PM

4,280 posts, read 9,198,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
One way to keep more of your natural skin oils is to wash with soap less frequently.
Another suggestion: don't use bar soap. I buy the liquid anti-bacterial soap sold in large bottles and refill my small squeeze bottle I use in the shower with a 50/50 soap/water mix. I have far less soap scum than I used to get using bar soaps and still get a good lather using one of those cloth mesh balls instead of wash cloths.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Santa Fe