Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Santa Fe
 [Register]
Santa Fe Santa Fe County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2010, 10:35 PM

4 posts, read 14,874 times

Advertisements

Sam, there's a lot of good advice in the replies to your post. I would add that a lot of people from the more compact eastern US don't realize how long the distances are in the West. (It sounds like this might not apply to you as you've done some exploring out here.) Taos, although well known as a tourist destination, is a small town of about 5,000 people far from any major cities. it's also significantly colder than Santa Fe. I live just outside Santa Fe, which itself is a smallish city of about 75,000 with a disproportionate number of great restaurants and art galleries, and which falls between Taos and Albuquerque climate-wise. Taos is about an hour and a half from Santa Fe, and Santa Fe is about an hour from Albuquerque, the closest genuine city. I moved to Santa Fe from suburban Chicago about 11 years ago and love it here. I've known others who moved here picturing an idyllic nonstop vacation, only to discover that there's also real life here, including poverty and a distrust of outsiders who don't make an effort to fit in. People who let themselves just go with it without trying to change things to match where they came from will do just fine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2010, 08:41 AM

60 posts, read 127,833 times
Concerning the dog-friendly bit: I spent several days in Taos and the whole town seems to be dog-centric: a lot of shops in town have dog waterbowls at their entrances. Although several restaurants/pubs I went to all had signs up "no dogs on the patio", there were several dogs (with owners) on ALL the restaurant patios! Must be some kind of in-joke. Dogs all look happy, owners too.

Old 09-05-2010, 09:43 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,773,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheoBald View Post
Must be some kind of in-joke. Dogs all look happy, owners too.
There are a lot of dog lovers, some actually go through the trouble of training their dogs to behave.

Dogs are allowed in restaurants in Europe (At least when we lived there), and young children are generally frowned upon (Two year old babies don't always behave well in restaurants. Plus the remainder of the family needs to take a break on occasion...)

Rich

Old 09-05-2010, 09:49 AM

10,420 posts, read 10,830,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkfreeamerica View Post
my opinion is that the most important part of the "will i be happy there" equation when moving to taos or santa fe is that you be at the far left of the political/life choices spectrum.
as an aside, durango colorado is The Most dog friendly town i've EVER experienced (:
I'll second checking out Durango CO for a location in this part of the country.

Old 09-05-2010, 04:49 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,878,251 times
Durango really IS dog friendly. I was at the mall buying some furniture a couple of weeks ago...and people were walking through the showroom with their dogs on leash.

I saw them everywhere, though mostly outside.

Old 09-05-2010, 04:58 PM

3,763 posts, read 5,861,321 times
I am not a resident but have been to both places many times. It is left of center politically. My main concern to you is that is NOT a cheap place to live. Everything is expensive. I think it is beautiful, just have lots of money.

Old 09-05-2010, 07:58 PM

3,011 posts, read 10,028,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogarven View Post
I am not a resident but have been to both places many times. It is left of center politically. My main concern to you is that is NOT a cheap place to live. Everything is expensive. I think it is beautiful, just have lots of money.

We have been living in Santa Fe for two and a half years now.

We do not have "lots of money."

It is really no more expensive to live here than it was in Kansas. (Except for home prices and water.) Everything else can be affordable if you shop around, live a frugal lifestyle, don't be tempted to eat at the pricey restaurants and buy expensive art work on the Plaza.

Santa Fe is FULL of affordable restaurants and things to do for people who are committed to a frugal lifestyle. We are doing it with no problem.

Old 09-05-2010, 08:08 PM

475 posts, read 1,267,587 times
If you look at the major categories of living expense, IMO housing is expensive and everything else is about average. Towanda is correct, of course, water is expensive unless you have your own well and then your expense is to some extent a matter of chance. Having your own well is an option (or a necessity) only in some areas.

I find that a really excellent restaurant meal is actually cheaper than most places I have been.

Fruit and vegetables also seem cheap.

Old 09-06-2010, 09:09 AM

3,763 posts, read 5,861,321 times
Okay, I will yield to the natives. However, I still say that gasoline is always higher than ABQ, PHX, ELP and housing is a major expense. Haven't bought groceries there so can't comment.

Old 09-06-2010, 10:36 AM

60 posts, read 130,058 times
Gasoline is SOOOO much cheaper than here is Chicago. I remark upon it every single time I am there. Also, much easier flying in and out of ABQ than O'Hare as to be ridiculous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Santa Fe