Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2010, 11:34 AM

4,895 posts, read 14,140,308 times

Advertisements

Next month, my friends & I all have tickets to the Vinyl Music Festival. You can google it for the website.
I thought it would be a great change due to my m.o.c. being Grateful Dead, I will now check out the DJ scene for a change...There are many pages on Facebook devoted to Sarasota, if you're on FB, get connected!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2010, 11:35 AM

7,511 posts, read 22,922,074 times
That sounds super cool!

Old 06-19-2010, 02:37 PM

254 posts, read 414,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoFLGal View Post
Oh my! I'll give this one a try.

Could someone tell me a little bit about the hospital system in Sarasota? I can only tell you about the emergency room and the Children's area. I think the emergency room has a fantastic, very caring staff, especially with kids. My littlest daughter was very sick about 6 months ago. She got sick and became very dehydrated and we spent about a week up in the children's section. I can't speak highly enough about our experience. They had a special person on staff that would go around and keep the kids spirits up. She would play Candy Land and other board games with the little kids. Play in the music room with some of the older kids. The whole experience (other than my little one being sick), was a positive one.

My father also has a heart doctor, Dr. Cooper, the is at Sarasota and he's been very satisfied with him as well.

What are your libraries like? Love Selby Library in downtown Sarasota. The children's section has a fish tank that you walk through in order to enter into that area. If they don't have a certain book at that library you can order it to be shipped there and just go pick it up when it arrives. We have a terrific library system.

Most traveled highway?
Most people use US41 or I75. I travel 41 in the summer, when the tourists are gone and use I75 for most of the winter when the roads are a bit more congested.

What are some of the parks like? (Besides the beaches?) As you can see Sarasota County has a lot of parks: http://www.scgov.net/ParksandRecreation/Parks/default.asp Some are bigger and some smaller. Two of my favorite parks are Brohard Dog Park in Venice and Myakka State Park. If you travel out to Myakka you will probably see gators, various birds, native Florida animals and lots of other critters. It's a great way to spend the afternoon. It really just depends on what you are looking for. There are parks that are more geared toward hiking, sports, fishing, biking, etc.

Are there any public golf courses? I'm looking around and finding that there aren't many public courses! =(-- Since I'm not a golfer someone is probably gonna have to help me out here. Here is a list of many of the courses in Sarasota county and it notes if they are public or private. I don't golf so I can't really help you on the specifics of each course: http://www.floridagolf.com/courses/sarasota/

Any parts of town where it is common to see people driving golf carts?
Well, I can tell you in Charlotte county on Boca Grande (which is well worth the trip), the main mode of transportation is golf carts. Other than that you'll see it is common in golfing communities-Prestancia, Bent Tree, The Concessions, Country Club of Sarasota, Laurel Oak Estates, Misty Creek, Serenoa, The Oaks, The Founders Club, etc

Do most neighborhoods have sidewalks?
Some neighborhoods do and some don't. You usually find them in the gated communities, along the busier roads and in the older communities.

Are there sidewalks along the busy streets?
Yes, usually.

I've asked about the festivals before and I've looked into them, however I am having a difficult time finding a website that has descriptions of them.
Interesting. I used to run a website that specialized in festivals and many of them advertised on my website. I do have many local festival listed on my current real estate website. Most of the festivals run October through March due to the weather and the fact that there are more here at those times. I will list a few of my favorites:

Hunsader Farm Festival -October- Bradenton

Sarasota Native American Indian Festival-January, Oscar Scherer Park, Osprey

Edison Festival of Lights- February- Ft Myers

Arcadia Rodeo - March- Arcadia

Peace River Seafood Festival- March- Punta Gorda

Shark Tooth Festival- April- Venice

Sarasota Film Festival (http://www.sarasotafilmfestival.com/2010/ - broken link)- April- Sarasota

Sarasota Medieval Faire- April-Sarasota

Sarasota Offshore Grand Prix-July- Sarasota

Sarasota Blues Fest- November-Sarasota

Are there any unusual traffic laws? Where I live it's not uncommon for people to turn left without a green arrow and to turn BEFORE the cars going straight move!

Not that I'm aware of. Although I was born and raised here so maybe they are unusual and I'm just not aware of it. I'm probably not the best person to ask

In Miami it's common for people to run red lights. Any of that sort to look out for?
I guess it does happen most anywhere but I wouldn't say it's common.

How about cable? Which is favored?
Well, I have Comcast and it works well. I know some people have Verizon and Brighthouse not sure how that works for them.

Cell phone coverage? Is there one that has better coverage?
I have Verizon for my cell phone and I pretty much have coverage everywhere. I will say that I picked up the new Droid phone from Verizon and I'm not that impressed. It's really hard to type on it and respond to emails and I don't have big fingers. I guess it's Verizons version of AT&T's iphone. I did hear that Verizon might be coming out with an iphone later this year though.

Does the local magazine have a "Top Ten" list of dentists, etc.? (Couldn't find an up to date on online.)
My dentist is in North Port so that won't help you much. I'm sure someone can recommend a dentist in the Sarasota area that's good.

How long is your license good for? Our license in Arizona is good for 20 years!
Funny you ask that! I've had my license since I was 19 and I'm 37. I just send in my renewal money every few years and they send me a sticker in the mail and I'm good to go. Looks like I have to actually get a new one this year. If I can keep it for another almost 20 years, I'll be good with that. I heard you have to bring a ton of paperwork in when getting a new license or updating an old one. Not really looking forward to that.

Any particular bank that is most prevalent? One that has ATM's everywhere?
Well, I have Bank of America. They're on just about every corner.

What about a fishing license? Where would get it and how much?
Here a website that will give you the ins and outs of the fishing licenses. The licenses vary on if you are a resident/non resident. They range from $17-$47 and then any additional endorsements. If you want to fish fresh and salt water and if you want a snook stamp or tarpon stamp. You can order a license right online at the below website. Make sure you are up to date on the restrictions and amounts of fish that you are allow to take. Also if you are going in a boat out fishing make sure you have everything up to date-your equipment, life jackets, licenses, etc. One of the Marine Patrols favorite things to tag you on is not having a noise making device in the vessel. Just put a whistle on you boat key ring in you'll be fine. FWC - License & Permit Information: Recreational Hunt, Fish

Anyone know anything about the foster care system? (We would like to foster children now)
I believe all of the foster care in Florida goes through-DCF, Dept of Children and Families. Here's the website: Florida Department of Children and Families

I was going to give this a feeble attempt but I don't think anyone could be more informative or all inclusive as you were! How long have you lived in the area? I lived in SRQ for almost five years and I may be looking to you before my fiance and I move back next summer!

Old 06-19-2010, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mellanieblue View Post
I was going to give this a feeble attempt but I don't think anyone could be more informative or all inclusive as you were! How long have you lived in the area? I lived in SRQ for almost five years and I may be looking to you before my fiance and I move back next summer!
Hi There! I'm a FL native-37 years. Born in Bradenton and have lived in almost every town in SW FL at one point in my life from Bradenton down to Port Charlotte. I've gone to the schools, parks, restaurants, beaches, etc.

We moved quite often when I was younger. Well, let's see Ive lived in:
Bradenton
Longboat Key
Anna Maria
Bradenton Beach
Englewood
Venice
North Port
Port Charlotte
Sarasota
Little Gasparilla Island (you can only get to it by boat)

People often ask me where I liked the best. I'd probably have to say the north end of Longboat Key. I grew up there and I still know a lot of people in the village on the north end. I moved back to that area when my oldest one was born and then moved away again.

I probably would appreciate Little Gasparilla Island more now as an adult than I did as a kid. No TV, no friends, no phone calls that weren't long distance. I thought it was cruel and unusual punishment for a kid. I did have some good times though hanging out fishing, swimming, etc

Thinking of moving to the Osprey area only because that's where my kids attend school and it's 25 miles each way from North Port, where I currently live. Hey, I haven't lived in Osprey yet either. I can add it to my list.

Another area that I am quite fond of is Southside Village in the downtown Sarasota area. It love the older homes-the architecture, wood floors, old wavy windows. There's just something about that.

Guess I'll stop rambling.

Thanks for the kind words

Old 06-20-2010, 03:28 PM

254 posts, read 414,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoFLGal View Post
Hi There! I'm a FL native-37 years. Born in Bradenton and have lived in almost every town in SW FL at one point in my life from Bradenton down to Port Charlotte. I've gone to the schools, parks, restaurants, beaches, etc.

We moved quite often when I was younger. Well, let's see Ive lived in:
Bradenton
Longboat Key
Anna Maria
Bradenton Beach
Englewood
Venice
North Port
Port Charlotte
Sarasota
Little Gasparilla Island (you can only get to it by boat)

People often ask me where I liked the best. I'd probably have to say the north end of Longboat Key. I grew up there and I still know a lot of people in the village on the north end. I moved back to that area when my oldest one was born and then moved away again.

I probably would appreciate Little Gasparilla Island more now as an adult than I did as a kid. No TV, no friends, no phone calls that weren't long distance. I thought it was cruel and unusual punishment for a kid. I did have some good times though hanging out fishing, swimming, etc

Thinking of moving to the Osprey area only because that's where my kids attend school and it's 25 miles each way from North Port, where I currently live. Hey, I haven't lived in Osprey yet either. I can add it to my list.

Another area that I am quite fond of is Southside Village in the downtown Sarasota area. It love the older homes-the architecture, wood floors, old wavy windows. There's just something about that.

Guess I'll stop rambling.

Thanks for the kind words
Thanks for the info! I'm a Florida native too, traveled the states with my parents for a few years when I was a toddler, but we settled in Pensacola when I was three and I lived there for about 22 years, then moved to Sarasota and lived there for almost five.
I fell in love with South Florida and its tropical flowers and quaker parrots.
I know what you mean about the architecture, too...here in Albuquerque the houses are so different...I miss wood floors, slatted windows that crank open, and Florida rooms! I miss my hammock strung between two palm trees and the afternoon shower that you could almost set your watch to.
I also really loved being in that area because you could drive to the beaches in Bradenton, Tampa is close by, and in the other direction there is Osprey, Nokomis, and Venice. Its like this little hub of cities.
I actually met my fiance in Osprey, he worked at the Spanish Pointe Pub and lived right by it....we fell in love talking on the dock in front of it!
Florida is my love story...I can't wait to get back there!
Thanks for sharing...enjoy Florida for me!

Old 07-25-2010, 06:28 AM

7 posts, read 13,845 times
Even though I like Hard Rock I think the Sarasota Blues fest would be great.

Old 07-25-2010, 12:14 PM

1,235 posts, read 3,679,007 times
I would highly recommend subscribing to Sarasota & SRQ magazines. I did months before even moving here & really familiarized myself with what the area has to offer. They also do the "best of" editions- restaurants, doctors, hospitals, retail, etc... Very informative & I keep all those "best of" editions for reference when I need to find something in particular.

Old 07-25-2010, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mellanieblue View Post
Thanks for the info! I'm a Florida native too, traveled the states with my parents for a few years when I was a toddler, but we settled in Pensacola when I was three and I lived there for about 22 years, then moved to Sarasota and lived there for almost five.
I fell in love with South Florida and its tropical flowers and quaker parrots.
I know what you mean about the architecture, too...here in Albuquerque the houses are so different...I miss wood floors, slatted windows that crank open, and Florida rooms! I miss my hammock strung between two palm trees and the afternoon shower that you could almost set your watch to.
I also really loved being in that area because you could drive to the beaches in Bradenton, Tampa is close by, and in the other direction there is Osprey, Nokomis, and Venice. Its like this little hub of cities.
I actually met my fiance in Osprey, he worked at the Spanish Pointe Pub and lived right by it....we fell in love talking on the dock in front of it!
Florida is my love story...I can't wait to get back there!
Thanks for sharing...enjoy Florida for me!
I just reread this. You met your fiancé at the Spanish Point Pub and I actually got married at Spanish Point in Mary's Chapel

Seems like we have a lot of similarities
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area